Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, felt good up til then. Didn't last long though, only got 5-6 miles from the house. Just one of those things.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, took me a little while to decide for sure which direction I was going to go. Ordered a grudge box on the 13th, website says 2 to 3 weeks. While ordering on the phone was told it would be 3 weeks before they would get it to me. Called to check on status and was told they won't get parts in to start building any grudge boxes until the 10th and they didn't know how many people were in line in front of me, also they don't even know how many parts they'll be getting in. Didn't seem too concerned when he was telling me this. Must be nice to be the only game in town.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nope, took me a little while to decide for sure which direction I was going to go. Ordered a grudge box on the 13th, website says 2 to 3 weeks. While ordering on the phone was told it would be 3 weeks before they would get it to me. Called to check on status and was told they won't get parts in to start building any grudge boxes until the 10th and they didn't know how many people were in line in front of me, also they don't even know how many parts they'll be getting in. Didn't seem too concerned when he was telling me this. Must be nice to be the only game in town.

That sucks having to wait. I hope mine survives the riding season !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after almost 5 weeks of waiting for something I was told I'd have in 3 weeks I've decided to go another direction. Trying to find out again the status and approximate delivery time for my Grudgebox order I was told there are 20 people in line in front of me and they have no idea when they might get to mine. Also was told I was in pretty good shape because some have been waiting since January. I cancelled that order and have a new oem gearset ordered and as soon as it comes in I'll send it to Libertys Gear to be cryo treated, shot peened, and surface enhancement. Hopefully this will work.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well after almost 5 weeks of waiting for something I was told I'd have in 3 weeks I've decided to go another direction. Trying to find out again the status and approximate delivery time for my Grudgebox order I was told there are 20 people in line in front of me and they have no idea when they might get to mine. Also was told I was in pretty good shape because some have been waiting since January. I cancelled that order and have a new oem gearset ordered and as soon as it comes in I'll send it to Libertys Gear to be cryo treated, shot peened, and surface enhancement. Hopefully this will work.

I have 1000 miles on mine so far. No problems so far with the tranny. I have not rode it hard in 2/3 gear at all. I have ran the dog shit out of it in 4/5/6 gears though. I am sure closer to winter I will get more aggressive with it. Just not wanting to be broke in the heart of riding season.

·
Registered
831 Posts

Any news on how this turned out ?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my gear set back from Liberty's Gears week before last and went to an indy to get it swapped out with the old one. Already had exhaust and everything on primary side pulled off just had the gear set put in there. After putting everything else back on I took it out for a test ride. Shifts up smooth as butter but doesn't want to downshift.:surprise: For some reason the shifter pawl is not reaching back far enough each time to grab anything to be able to downshift. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow to try to find out if there is a broken or weak spring on the shifter pawl. Not sure if we'll have to pull the gear set again or not. I'm thinking this will be my last Harley. I've had two others that I had good luck with and really enjoyed but this one has been anthrax to me since day one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Got my gear set back from Liberty's Gears week before last and went to an indy to get it swapped out with the old one. Already had exhaust and everything on primary side pulled off just had the gear set put in there. After putting everything else back on I took it out for a test ride. Shifts up smooth as butter but doesn't want to downshift.:surprise: For some reason the shifter pawl is not reaching back far enough each time to grab anything to be able to downshift. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow to try to find out if there is a broken or weak spring on the shifter pawl. Not sure if we'll have to pull the gear set again or not. I'm thinking this will be my last Harley. I've had two others that I had good luck with and really enjoyed but this one has been anthrax to me since day one.

I know where your coming from on the Anthrax. I am so far buried in this one that I will have to keep it till I am 80 to get my moneys worth. Harley voiding warranties and running from there problems is the reason I will not buy another one. Hope you get it straightened out before the snow flies !

·
Registered
22 Posts
All this makes me nervous as I’m getting ready to have my 3 week old CVO RG built for power, especially since I will lose my warranty with engine work...I wish you nothing but the best, keep us posted on the outcome my friend....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Took it back to indy that installed gear set. We pulled everything out again and saw that the shift detent arm was bent a little and installed incorrectly. Straightened arm and reinstalled correctly and put it all back together. Rides and shifts much better. Downshifts now are back to normal with the exception of only occasionally not down shifting on first attempt. Nearly every time it down shifted like it is supposed to except twice going down to 4th and twice going down to 3rd. Still not perfect but will put a couple hundred miles on it to test it out and see if maybe it will "wear in" and start working as it should all the time. If not I may have to pull it all out again and go with brand new shift detent.
BTW, my indy was not the one that assembled the gear set to begin with, he just installed it because I didn't have a couple of the tools required to do the job. The place I sent it out to to be treated did the reassembly after it had been treated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Took it back to indy that installed gear set. We pulled everything out again and saw that the shift detent arm was bent a little and installed incorrectly. Straightened arm and reinstalled correctly and put it all back together. Rides and shifts much better. Downshifts now are back to normal with the exception of only occasionally not down shifting on first attempt. Nearly every time it down shifted like it is supposed to except twice going down to 4th and twice going down to 3rd. Still not perfect but will put a couple hundred miles on it to test it out and see if maybe it will "wear in" and start working as it should all the time. If not I may have to pull it all out again and go with brand new shift detent.
BTW, my indy was not the one that assembled the gear set to begin with, he just installed it because I didn't have a couple of the tools required to do the job. The place I sent it out to to be treated did the reassembly after it had been treated.
Im sorry to hear all of this. You just weren't lucky with the gears bro. I threw a crate SS124 into my 15 RGS and went with a rekluse clutch, big injection, chain drive and 2:1 exhaust, suspension. I bang on it; drift, wheelies..... never an issue though I always wonder how long my gear box will stay together. Maybe I ought to order one now for the inevitable.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely not lucky. Lol There have been several M8 trannies that broke 3rd gear. I had better luck with my twin cams. 08 Fatboy with 138hp and a 12 Road Glide with a Drago's 124 crate with 137 hp, rode both bikes for many miles and even some drag strip time, never a hiccup. Should have never left the twin cam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts