Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I like to think I am a fairly intelligent person and reasonably computer literate, but I need some help. I remember sometime in the past reading about a kit you could buy that had bolts to replace the stock saddlebag fasteners, and if I remember correctly the guys who made them rode sharks. They may have even been a site sponsor, but no luck in finding it anywhere when I did a search on the forum. Can anyone help? My neighbor just bought a Street Glide a couple months ago and is worried about the bags falling off. I have the Ultra guards, so am not as worried.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
One of the guys that was selling them was 93-331-29psi. Not sure if he still does or not. You can get what you need from Lowes. Give me until tomorrow and I will pics and Lowes item numbers for what you need. Very simple mod.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Ok, I like to think I am a fairly intelligent person and reasonably computer literate, but I need some help. I remember sometime in the past reading about a kit you could buy that had bolts to replace the stock saddlebag fasteners, and if I remember correctly the guys who made them rode sharks. They may have even been a site sponsor, but no luck in finding it anywhere when I did a search on the forum. Can anyone help? My neighbor just bought a Street Glide a couple months ago and is worried about the bags falling off. I have the Ultra guards, so am not as worried.

Go to Lowes and get the following:

4 each stainless 5/16 18 SAE thread 1 1/12 inch long Allen head bolts
4 ea stainless flat washers with a outer diameter of 1 inch
4 sa stainless lock washers
4 ea 5/16 u-spring nuts or commonly called j-nuts Lowes item number 139391.
The spring nuts will be in there automotive specialty boxes located in the hardware nut and bolt department.

Just pop of the spring clips on the bag mounts, slip on the new spring nuts and bolt them up.

You will save money and shipping time by getting it yourself.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!!! The baggerbolts was the one I was thinking of. I will look into the hardware from Lowe's as a viable option as well, Dan is kinda tight so you never know. I personally like the other set with the black handles, I wonder if they would interfere with the liners though. Again, really appreciate all the speedy responses.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Thanks all!!! The baggerbolts was the one I was thinking of. I will look into the hardware from Lowe's as a viable option as well, Dan is kinda tight so you never know. I personally like the other set with the black handles, I wonder if they would interfere with the liners though. Again, really appreciate all the speedy responses.

The bagger bolts kit comes with the same stuff you can buy at Lowes. I'm pretty sure they also carry the knobs if you prefer them over the bolts.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A forum member was running the Monkey Knobs and her bag fell off. She admitted it was her fault, she should have checked them more often, but hers loosened up over time.

I doubt that would happen with Bagger Bolts or something similar. Course if I had Monkey Knobs my OCD a$$ would give the Monkey Knobs a twist everytime I opened my saddlebags. :surprise: One thing for sure I feel better ever since I changed out the fasteners on mine.

·
Administrator
10,509 Posts
I run a couple flat washers on the mounting brackets and a lock washer with two nuts on the inside of the bag , total cost = zero , stuff laying in my tool box , only need one on each bag , been doing it since long before the rip off kits came along ...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I run a couple flat washers on the mounting brackets and a lock washer with two nuts on the inside of the bag , total cost = zero , stuff laying in my tool box , only need one on each bag , been doing it since long before the rip off kits came along ...
Agreed, the kits are a rip off, you can get all the stuff yourself for a third of the price. I know that when 93-331-29psi was selling them on the forum they were exactly the same as bagger bolts and he sold them for $15, also for every kit he sold he donated one kit for the raffle at SW. Bagger bolts are $39 plus shipping, I have around $10 in my stuff from Lowes.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
They do carry all the stuff you need at Lowe's. I only put one set on each side for safety sake. One knob bolt, one clip nut on each side in the front position. Works like a champ. First time on I put blue loctite to gum up the threads some what. Now, never once have they been loose even remotely. Even after a 8000 mile road trip. Gives me that safe feeling that is one thing I don't have to worry about. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I prefer Brukus , I use their saddlebag secure , seat secure , and their secure for quick release items , and a few of their other products . Sure I could do the bags myself for a little less but Dan is a veteran , a good guy and he makes it convenient .

Reactions: Wharf Rat
1 - 20 of 46 Posts