Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I should put saddlebag guards on my 2016 RGS. I don't really like the look of them but it's probably inevitable that I'll drop it and scratch the bags. I think I'll also need the bottom support bar as well?

Anyone had any experience with aftermarket guards or is it best to stick with OEM?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently put them on my RGS... I also wasn't sure how they would look, and was concerned they would make the bike look too bulky, but they actually look pretty good IMO. This is the only recent pic I can dig up right now... not a great view of the guards, but I think (coming from a Road King - which is now my wife's) they help make the bike look more complete without interfering with the sleek lines... and of course, it brings some piece of mind with the added bit of protection.

I too was worried I would forget to put the kickstand down one of these days, or slip in gravel or some such thing.

I went with the HD guards... it was a perfect fit, easy to install, and it comes with the bottom bar, and extra bolts or you can use use some of the existing ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I got mine from Jon (PCPain) at Horney Toad HD. Good discount. I hadn't dropped a bike in many years. My 15 RGS has been down 3 times. The guards were on my list, but the bike went down 1st!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Check ebay for a set of 2014 & up touring saddlebag guards. I bought a set of cvo take offs & had them powdercoated gloss black. Turned out nice, plus, I can now use my guard bags.

Lil Chief

Reactions: Whitey930

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I recently put them on my RGS... I also wasn't sure how they would look, and was concerned they would make the bike look too bulky, but they actually look pretty good IMO. This is the only recent pic I can dig up right now... not a great view of the guards, but I think (coming from a Road King - which is now my wife's) they help make the bike look more complete without interfering with the sleek lines... and of course, it brings some piece of mind with the added bit of protection.

I too was worried I would forget to put the kickstand down one of these days, or slip in gravel or some such thing.

I went with the HD guards... it was a perfect fit, easy to install, and it comes with the bottom bar, and extra bolts or you can use use some of the existing ones.
Thanks for the pic. Actually looks fine! I didn't realize they came with the lower bar too. Figured HD would charge extra for that. I too came from a Road King and that bar saved my bags :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yep, you'll need the whole kit, which includes the bars that go in front of the bags, and the ones underneath that go into those, and also support the bags.

Lil Chief

Reactions: Whitey930

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is a supplier on Ebay that sells the bag guards that are 1 and 1/8" thick, the Harley bars are 7/8" thick. that is seriously stronger bars. They do not come with the lower support bars that fit into the guards but that can be bought separately from Harley. If you are handy with a measuring tape, hack saw and a drill you can cut your existing support bars before the bend that attaches to the bike at the front of the bags. Then slide them into the bag guards and drill the hole out for the bolt that connects the support bar to the bag guard. Another option might be while you're on Ebay see if anyone is selling the lower support bars. I know a Glide owner that has the thicker bars on his bike and through evasive maneuvers has laid the bike down twice. Both times the bars supported the bike without even touching the bags or bending the bars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll be putting some on my bike eventually. I have to get custom dynamics rear turn/brake signals and their tri bar first so some idiot doesn't run into me. The stock setup is a joke.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yup, I'm surprised that the stock rear lighting is DOT compliant. I've got the CD lights, tribar, and Plazma rods. BRIGHT!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just added some to my 2012 RGU, took me a little while to gather the parts since I was trying to save a few bucks, got the supports off of Ebay for half of what HD sells them for, the actual saddle bad guards I purchased from Surdyke where I got a good discount from them compared to other sites. I went with the 'comfort profile' version instead of the standard guards.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Most of my parts are OEM, but I bought a set of saddlebag guards off Ebay. The quality and fit are a lot better than I expected for the price, seem to be the same quality as OEM.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I got mine from Jon (PCPain) at Horney Toad HD. Good discount. I hadn't dropped a bike in many years. My 15 RGS has been down 3 times. The guards were on my list, but the bike went down 1st!
+1 on both. While you're thinking about it you will inevidently drop it :surprise: and PC Pain is the way to go.

The fact that most people don't realize they don't have them till someone points it out pretty much answers the aesthetic question.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of the things I like about the Saddlebag guards is to use them as a leverage handle when you are backing the motorcycle up . instead of having both hands on the handlebars I grab onto the saddlebag bar with one hand, seems to help me back it up.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you're moving at all when you drop the bike, and your bike isn't Vivid Black, that could be a very, very, expensive drop.

Honestly, I think bag guards are a no-brainer. I agree that I don't like the look, just like I don't like the look of engine guards, which is why I had my engine guard powder coated and then got black bag guards. They just disappear against the bike.

And, I strongly, strongly suggest adding ProGuards, from ProGuards.net. Heavy duty plastic, so if you do set it down, no damage to the powder coat or chrome. If you practice and take classes, like I do, you'll probably set it down more than once. I have the ProGuards on mine in the pic, front and rear.

Attachments

Reactions: RFG7680 and Diese

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
If you're moving at all when you drop the bike, and your bike isn't Vivid Black, that could be a very, very, expensive drop.

Honestly, I think bag guards are a no-brainer. I agree that I don't like the look, just like I don't like the look of engine guards, which is why I had my engine guard powder coated and then got black bag guards. They just disappear against the bike.

And, I strongly, strongly suggest adding ProGuards, from ProGuards.net. Heavy duty plastic, so if you do set it down, no damage to the powder coat or chrome. If you practice and take classes, like I do, you'll probably set it down more than once. I have the ProGuards on mine in the pic, front and rear.
I'm going to look into these. My bag guards were pretty expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm going to look into these. My bag guards were pretty expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Wow, those are gorgeous!

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Wow, those are gorgeous!
Thanks. I was really on the fence with these. It was a 350.00 gamble on looks. I knew the quality was going to be just fine.

I think it's a home run.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts