1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Wildman, I'm using a similar kit to what you posted. They work. I like the Harley levers, and might order them if I was starting over. I imagine that the performance is the same.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
What is everyone using one the Rushmore bikes to mount their saddlebags? Are you using the newer HD hardware or an aftermarket kit? And if the later who's?

I keep seeing ones like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9LGXDK?ref=em_1p_1_ti&ref_=pe_2817400_421152110

On my 2011 I had these Torx tamper proof screws that held the bags on that were really nice. Just curious what is out there now.
That's what I'm using on my 2015 RGS but the hardware is stainless steel, and they work great.

I have never had any issues with my bags loosening or flying off my sled.

Swomack

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
i like the hd kit. it is 'beefier' than the other aftermarket kits, so that gives you a little added confidence. i've never really seen a j-nut break, but i guess it could.

buy it from one of the discounters. i think i got mine for around $35 when i bought them before. course, if that is all you're ordering, by the time you add in shipping, it's about the same as if you got them from your local. but if you're placing a bigger order, doesn't hurt to add these in as well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use a combination of the H-D pins in the rear and the H-D 16 up style. Secured the bag but gives you more room than using two of the new style. 15 Rushmore still have pins then in 16 they changed them. H-D part 90201540 is for the kit. Kit is to change all 4.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Wildman, I'm using a similar kit to what you posted. They work. I like the Harley levers, and might order them if I was starting over. I imagine that the performance is the same.
Bucklist, What "harley levers" are you talking about? I can't find any OEM saddlebag fasters other than the ones that come on the bike.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, ok, they are basically the fasteners that are now standard on 17 and above models.
They ARE HD's parts. I ordered the set off Ebay so we'll see what happens. I just know I do not like the bail latch pins that come stock on our older bikes.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
They ARE HD's parts. I ordered the set off Ebay so we'll see what happens. I just know I do not like the bail latch pins that come stock on our older bikes.
Not sure why there seems to be an aversion to these fasteners. I've spent a lot of time around aircraft (private) and this style is used in varied applications. Never heard of one coming loose or breaking :smile:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure why there seems to be an aversion to these fasteners. I've spent a lot of time around aircraft (private) and this style is used in varied applications. Never heard of one coming loose or breaking :smile:
Because people have had their saddlebags fall off going down the road. There is a recall thru HD on my year bike for the saddlebags.

RCL:2014/2015 TRG S/BAG MOUNTS

Recall Description
The saddlebag mounting receptacle, p/n 10900009 on some model year 2014 and 2015Touring family vehicles may not adequately secure the saddlebag to the motorcycle during use.
Remedy Description
Owners of the affected motorcycles will be asked to arrange service with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, who will confirm that the motorcycle is covered by this recall. If covered, the dealer will install the updated receptacle from the recall kit provided. This service will be provided at no charge to the customer.
Safety Risk Description
If this condition remains undetected, the saddlebag may become separated from the motorcycle while it is in motion, possibly creating a hazard for other motorists.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts