Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hogtunes replacement speakers in the fairing of my 08 street glide. Now that i picked up a 13 RGC i was looking at doing the Harley Boom replacement speakers and the Haley Boom speakers with saddlebag lids. I figure i would have to do the boom amp to get the best sound out of the speakers and noticed that if i wanna run the i pod interface i have to mount it in the saddlebag because the amp will take up the room in the fairing. Looking for good clear sound i can hear cruising down the road doing 70. Is it worth doing saddlebag speakers with the cost and all or are the fairing speakers going to do what i want. I dont need two blocks away to hear my radio. What does everyone reccomend thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
I could be wrong about this because I have never had speakers in the bag lids but I just don't think you are going to hear much at 70 from speakers that are behind you. I would think you would be better off adding speakers up front either in lowers or in the fairing. If you are looking for sound around town then the lids might be OK.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Honestly, I changed my speakers to J&M Rokkers and it made a world of difference. I did not need to add an amp, the improvement was that good and they are clear at highway speeds. No problem hearing them at all. The improvement was so good and I was satisfied, I decided not to get an amp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
After about 45-50 mph the saddlebag speakers are more for the passenger than the rider. To me it's worth it, but I have 6 speakers up front between the fairing and lowers that provide a lot more sound. :D

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Get yourself some of them lids that hold 2 or 3 sets of speakers, a couple big-azz amps and TURN THEM MO-FO'S UP!!!!
The more stereo noise you make, the less attention they'll pay to my pipes.........

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I agree about the statement that said the sound from the rear is hard to hear at 70 MPH.
I was not happy with the radio output when riding at Freeway speeds. Even with Tour Pak Speakers. So I took it in steps.
First I upgraded my speakers to J&M Pref 7.25" Speaker Kit. With this, I could now hear the radio when at full volume riding Freeway speeds.

That was OK, but I wanted to be able to really "Rock" some songs through the Fairing speakers.
So I looked at Amps. When I looked around I was shocked at the prices for the speaker/amp systems. :confused: (I am very cheap)
But I was at last year's Shark Week II. Low and Behold, some of the Forum Sponsors donated several systems.
I was lucky enough to win a Hawg Wired system. It was a "Plug-N-Play" with 6.5" speakers and 140 watt amp.
I installed the system and WOW!!! When I turned it up, It was LOUD, but clear.
Now when I want to listen to the radio using my Fairing speakers, I only need half volume. Even at 70+ (Of course I don't speed :rolleyes:)

So, in my opinion, any money you would spend on saddlebag speakers should be spent on Fairing speakers and amp system.
You will be money ahead with a much better sound system. :cool:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Looked at doing the Bag speakers but after you do the bike nights and listen to guys that have them i opted for putting another amp up front and doing the inner fairing up grade. Keep them in front of yourself. No problem with having two amps and four speakers in the fairing . Its clear and sounds great, i would say that i have the 8 inch KW sheild. If you had a little biger sheils that would make a big differance at 80mph. Me i like to have the wind and tunes at the same time. Another option you might look at is in some lowers. Keep it in front of ya

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone ill just focus on the front really didnt wanna spend 1,000 on lids and speakers to have really no improvement.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I was lucky enough to win a Hawg Wired system
way to leave us hanging on the DCS/ZX review, they don't even make that one anymore, glad it's jamming

get ready to cash in your IRA
I would if I could, tax penalties are what will kill ya

re: speaker lids, maybe not worth a grand, unless you already have a good setup and want to add some passenger tunes, but nice to have

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have hogtunes replacement speakers in the fairing of my 08 street glide. Now that i picked up a 13 RGC i was looking at doing the Harley Boom replacement speakers and the Haley Boom speakers with saddlebag lids. I figure i would have to do the boom amp to get the best sound out of the speakers and noticed that if i wanna run the i pod interface i have to mount it in the saddlebag because the amp will take up the room in the fairing. Looking for good clear sound i can hear cruising down the road doing 70. Is it worth doing saddlebag speakers with the cost and all or are the fairing speakers going to do what i want. I dont need two blocks away to hear my radio. What does everyone reccomend thanks
I would reccomend, dishing the 'Boom' stuff, and replacing w/Hawg-Wired Amps!
Whether you can hear ur stereo, 2 blocks away, or if someone else can,...If ya want Clarity, and all these things, you've posted, well,....you'll just have to make the sacrifise!
I'd go 6x9 saddlebag lids, the new quad lids, or just the single pair lids, if it was me.jmho

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm waiting on my speaker lids right now from Harley. I'm not putting them on so much to hear my tunes at 70+, most of my riding is rural, as I like the looks of the Harley system, and I think the wife will like them. I also did the Boom front speakers and the amp. I can't tell you how it sounds, the lids should be here about the 2nd week of March. I looked at some other lid kits they didn't go with the shape of the bag like the Boom kit does, they look like you chopped a big hole in the top of the bag and stuffed some speakers from your local junk yard in them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone ill just focus on the front really didnt wanna spend 1,000 on lids and speakers to have really no improvement.
Rear speakers are worth it whether tourpak pods or saddlebag lids. If you ever had any doubt, take off down the road then fade all the way to the front. Albeit the rears become more of a "fill" speaker at speeds, you WILL hear the difference.

The Cycle Sounds lids are $359 (mine were $559 painted vivid black). Custom colors, I think I'd take to a painter but it's kinda hard to screw up black so I let them paint them. Should be here in a few days. A little creative wiring, a good set of 6x9s, and CS lids will be quite a bit less than $1000.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Zakmando since i got candy orange too i could always test out those speaker lids before you go through the time of putting them on lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey stang9986 sounds good, but I already have the fairing, handlebars, fuel tank off with the wires run, amp installed, so I'll just put them on, thanks for the most kind offer never the less. I will sell you my stock lids, handlebars, windshield, speakers, air cleaner, exhaust, headlight if you want them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol just trying to help you out. You don't happen to have the I pod interface also do you? I have heard there isn't enough room in the fairing for amp and I pod interface.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts