Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there had their saddlebag tether screws strip out. I have had this happen on both sides recently. I noticed it when I opened the lid and it fell farther out than normal. I looked at the tether and only one screw was in. Checked them both and noticed that they don't tighten up at all.

Am I the only one and more importantly, any suggestions on how to secure my lids?

Thanks.

· Registered
690 Posts
My pins got stretched out over time and did not hold the bags a securely as they used to. I pinched them closer with pliers a couple of times, and it seamed to do the trick. But this last time, I just ordered a new set. I'm thinking they were $12-14 or so for all four. I got mine online from boardtracker HD along with some other parts I needed.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Maleko, I haven't had that happen to mine but I would just install the next size up in diameter screw or possibly you can install the same size diameter wise but a little longer so you're screwing the longer screw into virgin plastic. I think the strongest thing would be to go to the next size up in diameter though. Of course you have to make sure there is enough plastic to move up in size.

Steelerdude, he's not talking about the pins that hold the bags on, he's talking about the screws that hold the cloth strap to the lid and bag that acts as a support for the lid when the bag is open.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taz, that is what I was thinking of as well for the easy fix. I am thinking at some point, if the same this happens again for whatever reason, eventually I will run out of room in the plastic hole to have any grip.

· Registered
7,121 Posts
Get some plastic epoxy or JB Weld and fill the holes with it. Let it fully cure and drill an appropriate size hole for the stock screw.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Fix the stripped threads just like you would fix the stripped holes in the fairing.
Spray the screws with pam or similar cooking oil spray and let the screws dry, the cooking oil spray acts as a release agent, mix up some JB Weld and pack the stripped holes with the JB Weld then screw in the screws and wipe away excess JB Weld, let JB Weld cure with the screws in the holes then unscrew the screws when the JB Weld is done curing. You will have new threads in the holes and it should work fine.
Most of the time letting the saddlebag lid flop open or setting heavy items in the saddlebag lids will put excess strain on the screws.

Reactions: Hullhorr

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I will give the JB Weld a try when I get back home later this week.

· Registered
336 Posts
Fix the stripped threads just like you would fix the stripped holes in the fairing.
Spray the screws with pam or similar cooking oil spray and let the screws dry, the cooking oil spray acts as a release agent, mix up some JB Weld and pack the stripped holes with the JB Weld then screw in the screws and wipe away excess JB Weld, let JB Weld cure with the screws in the holes then unscrew the screws when the JB Weld is done curing. You will have new threads in the holes and it should work fine.
Most of the time letting the saddlebag lid flop open or setting heavy items in the saddlebag lids will put excess strain on the screws.
This is brilliant. One of the holes in my fairing is stripped now and I couldn't figure out a way to fix the problem. Will be doing this trick later today so I can ride later in the week. Thanks!

· Registered
809 Posts
I prefer the stick version of JB Weld to do these fixes with. I use a match stick and can pack it in the whole with out it running out. If it is a plastic stand off then I hit it with some sand paper and smear it down the sides and on top, just to give it alittle extra support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.