Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 fltrx has had this problem of the hard bags coming loose,i check them before ever ride and a couple of weeks ago one got loose and didnt come off. I contacted the dealer and he was reluctant to discuss this matter with a "It happens sometimes i guess,i am busy now you will have to call later" WTF? i see in a few forums and a few people i have talked to its seems common, My bags came off at 55 on the highway and is totally trashed, i dont know what to do? should i call harley directly/ And i have new retainers from brukus on the way but should this happen to a 1 year old nike. HELP!:confused:

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Yes unfortunately it does happen at times. You could bolt the saddlebags on and I think that there are some aftermarket products that may be available that may help. I always inspect the saddlebag pins when I remove them but the only sure way to protect your saddlebags is to install the saddlebag guardrails, I know some like the clean look but I prefer the security that the guardrails provide. I have never had a saddlebag pin fail and the saddlebag only came loose once because I fail to seat the pins properly. The saddlebags will not fall off the bike if the pins fail if you have the guardrails on the bike.

Reactions: SteveW

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
this does happen time to time theres a thread around here on the hardware to buy to bolt them on which many have done more for theft protection but also to keep from loosing a bag on the road which also has happend to some, frankie B i think was one.I have mine bolted on just a peice of mind thing never had one get loose but why chance it for a few $$$ in hardware versus replacing bag(s)!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes i have the brukus hardware on order ,i guess i should have bought it a couple of weeks ago when i came loose the first time,i have been wrenching for 25 years on cars and about 18 on bike and i am telling u this quick release on might left bag is defective ,sucks that u pay close to 20k for a bike and you have to mess with this crap.:(

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm sorry that is bullshit it should be a warranty issue that is also a huge safety issue no way a year old bike should have both pins fail on the road like that what's next the breaks fall off. Sorry to hear it but Harley would be fixing it for free.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That SUX dawg!

Not saying you did this, but I have a friend whose bags have fallen off more than once. Turns out he/prior owner had not properly seated the saddlebag's bottom indents unto the bottom rails and then forced the locking pins to attach. It bent the attach point so that they weren't locking tightly thereafter. I think this happens more often than some like to admit.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had

When I first got my RG, it was a first bagger. For some reason the little rubber baby buggy bumper under the saddlebag would come loose and the bag would start vibrating like, once making the latching pin to come loose. I put adhesive to the rubber saddle bag support cushion and never had another problem.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to someone at hd seems he told me it was the left saddlebag before i told him,on days after getting my scoot the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame came off,i gonna try to call cust. service tues moring to see what i can do, as for not being installed correctlly once the quick connects are locked in u can shake the bag and watch them loosen, can we say defect looks like it to me. Hopefully hd dos the right thing wish me luck and thanks for everyones input.:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I feel for you, but I also have to look at this from both sides..MOCO has no way of knowing if you properly locked the pins each time, same as you have no way of proving you did. I haven't had any problems in a year, but will probably convert to bolt attachment for peace of mind. Take a look at the thread from the gentleman whom hit a deer last week, tore the left saddle bag off the bike, upper part of inner bag with pins still in place still attached to bike, that sure surprised the heck out of me. I wish you luck with MOCO, hopefully you guys can find some acceptable middle ground. Again, hate to hear these things happen.

·
Administrator
10,481 Posts
I lost one off my tour glide twenty odd years ago , and ever since , I have run a bolt thru the mounting tab and saddlebags with lock washers

the dzus fasteners will come loose

JtB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Easy, cheap Insurance

As some easy insurance against problems with the fasteners. (or with the operator of the fasteners), I put a nylon cable tie loosly at each corner around the bag brackets and the tour pak frame and the seat strap bracket. Although its never been needed, hopefully it will hold the bags up if the fasteners ever failed...

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Brukus, problem solved!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I spoke to someone at hd seems he told me it was the left saddlebag before i told him,on days after getting my scoot the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame came off,i gonna try to call cust. service tues moring to see what i can do, as for not being installed correctlly once the quick connects are locked in u can shake the bag and watch them loosen, can we say defect looks like it to me. Hopefully hd dos the right thing wish me luck and thanks for everyones input.:)
Sounds to me like they are not seated properly on the lower rail. If they were, you could not "shake the bag", as it would have a solid "one-piece" feel with the bike.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just go to your local lowe's or home depot and get some fender nuts and some 5/16 allen head bolts with some lock washers. I used some big fender washers also to spread the load over the rubber groument (sp?). Everthing was stainless steel but the fender nuts. On my RK for extra security i drilled the bolts to use a small pin on the outside.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts