Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to do the 10k service on my Glide. The book says 3.5 quarts engine oil ,1 qt. tranny and 38 ounces Primary, I only have 1 qt of Redline primary-is it ok to put the half a quart left from the Mobil1 engine oil in with the Redline to make up for the 6 extra ounces needed to fill the primary? I really dont want to spent $15.00 for a whole qt. of Primary if I only need 6 little ounces--unless there's an issue mixing the two together...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know about mixing oils but for the sake of $15 I would not MIX, oil does not go bad so you could use the rest in your next oil service.

Colin

·
Registered
372 Posts
come on man.. you got a $20,000+ bike..
Buy the other quart of Redline primary . Use the 6oz and save the remainder for your Next oil change .

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It's a chain and clutch. IMHO it won't hurt a thing mixing two high quality oils together...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
come on man.. you got a $20,000+ bike..
Buy the other quart of Redline primary . Use the 6oz and save the remainder for your Next oil change .
I know the bike cost 20 Grand.........Harley sends me a friendly reminder in the beginning of each month with a payment slip, just so I wont forget.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
safe? it's not exactly sulfuric acid and water. Just do it, then you can say "hey that worked just fine", or "my clutch slipped a little so I change it soon after."

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would not hesitate to put engine oil and mix as long it doesn't say ''energy conserving'' on the can because of additive added for low friction that are not good mix with clutch disc. Too many people are trying to make it complicated, It is not a space shuttle only a primary case. Auto maker just use ATF fluid in their automatic tranny that can handle + 400 HP and last + 100,000 miles that contains clutches, gears etc etc and worth + 80,000$ like a corvette. Few years ago in my softtail i was using ATF my primary hole and my clutch was smooth less drag etc etc, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
About to do the 10k service on my Glide. The book says 3.5 quarts engine oil ,1 qt. tranny and 38 ounces Primary, I only have 1 qt of Redline primary-is it ok to put the half a quart left from the Mobil1 engine oil in with the Redline to make up for the 6 extra ounces needed to fill the primary? I really dont want to spent $15.00 for a whole qt. of Primary if I only need 6 little ounces--unless there's an issue mixing the two together...
I do all my own services and never add more than a quart to the Primary ~ ridden 170k in last 6 years and have not had a failure in the primary due to lack of lubrication (stator at 71k replaced on my 10 in addition to 4 compensators).

Three of the compensators were the Screamin Eagle

·
Registered
286 Posts
I do all my own services and never add more than a quart to the Primary ~ ridden 170k in last 6 years and have not had a failure in the primary due to lack of lubrication (stator at 71k replaced on my 10 in addition to 4 compensators).

Three of the compensators were the Screamin Eagle
My tech at the Dealer only adds 1 Qt to the Primary.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I would not mix them, they are two completely different types of oil. Different additives, different viscosity, different functions. The Reline oils are special purpose. The Primary oil contains friction modifiers for the clutch. These are not found in motor oil. The Transmission Oil is gear oil, which is different from Motor Oil. Besides, the Redline Transmission Oil is Pink, the Mobil1 is Orange. The colors would clash :rolleyes:

I will say this. My bike runs much quieter, and better, since I switched to Redline in the Primary and Transmission, using their specific oils for each function. I still use Mobil1 in the crankcase.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
1qt is usually enough to fill the primary just to the bottom of the clutch spring, which is all you want, and all I've been doing for almost 15 years.
The other day I had my primary cover off, so that ALL the oil was out, then it needed just a few extra ounces.

I reality it's a chain, sprockets and a couple bearings, all of which is just happy as a pig in mud to have any lubrication at all , let alone a full quart of "primary oil". I've run just about everything you can imagine in there, ATF, motor oil, gear lube, 10w-40, 20w-50, synthetic, Dino, etc with no real noticeable difference in any of them. My go-to oil is usually some brand of 80-90w gear oil, seems to work fine other than it stinks a bit, and it REALLY stinks if you burn up a stator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts