Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our mirrors --- and their mirrors are critical for "our" safety. Let's kick off this exchange by noting:

1. Our mirrors can save our lives -- take the time to find mirrors large enough to give you a field of view -- not just a cool look.

2. Position your mirrors so the outer portion of your shoulder is just visible.

3. "Their mirrors" -- are you positioned so cars in front and to your side can see you? Vary your position in lanes - carefully.

4. Do "they" have broken or missing mirrors? If so....GET AWAY FROM THEM !

Ok -- share your lessons learned, thnx, DOOF

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
One thing I've always tried to follow regarding mirrors is this: Mirrors can only say 'NO'. They never say 'YES'.

Meaning, of course, when changing lanes, always do a head check and don't rely solely on your mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
I drive an 18 wheeler , so I live in my mirrors a lot ..

1) check your mirrors regularly , every five to eight seconds ..

2) do you know where the blind spots in your mirrors are ??

3) when I change lanes on the bike , I turn my head after checking my mirrors to see if the spot I want to be in is clear ..

4) You have probably seen this decal on the back of trailers

"If you cant see my mirrors I cant see you"

guess what , true statement that there is

JtB

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Its certain that you will get a degree of vibration in mirrors at speed but if they are completely blurred thats a saftey issue and probably a sign of something else wrong. Faulty mirror, Jacked up fairing stay, etc.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Might be an obvious point but ALWAYS clean your mirrors before heading out. I also drive a truck and that is something I do daily if not more than once a day

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I use convex mirrors, field of view is great. You can see everything, downside is you cant judge distance as good as regular mirrors

·
Registered
214 Posts

1) check your mirrors regularly , every five to eight seconds ..

2) do you know where the blind spots in your mirrors are ??

3) when I change lanes on the bike , I turn my head after checking my mirrors to see if the spot I want to be in is clear ..

JtB
JTB you nailed it! I drive an 18 wheeler as well and apply the same principles when riding my scoot.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
One thing I've always tried to follow regarding mirrors is this: Mirrors can only say 'NO'. They never say 'YES'.

Meaning, of course, when changing lanes, always do a head check and don't rely solely on your mirrors.
=1, I agree, I see a lot of people riding just use there mirrors and not there head, I have a video of an accident between a motorcycle and a pickup that is a prime example.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I use convex mirrors, field of view is great. You can see everything, downside is you cant judge distance as good as regular mirrors
Awesome point. I always add a little one of these to the lower left edge of the driver side mirror in my cages. Really seems to help with my blind spots.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just installed the Harley extended mirrors, huge difference with the stock look. Not priced bad either, $40.00 ea MSRP, money well spent.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If all you are seeing are your shoulders, get extenders or wider mirrors. Don't try to "make do" with mirrors that don't do the job just because they look cool.

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
I was in the cage the other day and noticed that a small light went on in the side mirror of the car next to me when I was slightly behind him. When I got even with him the small light went off. It was typical 405 "rush" hour traffic (rush meaning ride the brake most of the time). We traded relative positions for a few minutes with the light going on and off and it dawned on me - fancy Mercedes with "blind spot" indicators. Lots of new cars are coming out with systems like these, which for those of us on two wheels is a great thing.....providing that the bike is large enough to actuate these sensors. Anyone know if these things work in the case of the two-wheeler?

·
Registered
318 Posts

JtB
I respectfully disagree. If I am close to the rear a the trailer, but I as the driver am hugging the right side of the lane so that my the right side of my car is out beyond the right side of the truck, I can't see the mirrors, but the trucker can see me in his right mirror very well.

What the sticker really says is the the truck owner hasn't spent the money to install mirror systems that eliminate blind spots, so the cars better look out cause we can't see them. Why not get a better mirror system.

I also like the ones that say my truck is so big so I can haul more stuff I can't make a legal right turn, so you must get out of my way! because I will be turning right from the left lane........

I once had a street legal high performance motorcycle. It required a high idle and fast rpm to keep running and would not run at less than about 35 mph. So what do you think a cop would say if I am 35 in a 15 mph zone by a school? "But officer my vehicle won't go any slower, honest!"

truckers get away with it all the time "but officer my truck is to big to make a legal right turn."

I also like it when I am waiting to make a left turn and the semi trying to turn right into the lane on my right has to come into my lane and expects me to back up so he can finish his turn. I am sitting legally in the left turn lane, he is making an illegal turn, and I have to yield to him!!!!

Ya I know it's the law of gross vehicle weight, might makes right. I'm bigger so get out of my way. happens to me all the the time-I ride!

ok--- rant off now.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If all you are seeing are your shoulders, get extenders or wider mirrors. Don't try to "make do" with mirrors that don't do the job just because they look cool.
+1, one of the first mods I did for $30 was extensions. I got the Kurys because they go out and up, HD just goes up. I can see past my shoulders, my riding buddies noticed right away saying they can now see my mirrors when they couldn't before.

Check 'em out: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3973/Mirror-Stem-Extenders

1 - 20 of 25 Posts