Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poking around the local dealer this past week and saw a guy give a RGC a good look over...

Then I overheard the salesman tell him that he rarely ever turns the stereo on while riding...and that they are gimmicks for most people.

Having just dropped over a grand on my stereo system I almost jumped out of my skin.... but I bit my tongue and my wife and I just laughed....

I understand its not for everyone, but .... I like music and I like my ride so its a perfect match for me!!

D.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Probably just "prepping" him for when he initially hears the stock system. Kinda slick...just turn yours on next to the dude and plant your own seed. Salesman will have to tap dance lol

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That's funny! The first thing I do when I get ready to ride is figure out what I'm going to listen to. I don't enjoy riding my other bikes as much, with no tunes they seem boring now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
As a person who makes their living in sales ( not motorcycles or cars ) if you can't impress them with your brilliance ....you dazzle them with bullshit

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've been in my 11 RGU for two seasons and can't ride without. Coming from a Heritage Softail without tunes except for the done roar of the Rush side exhaust. well you all understand the headache.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
He probably thought it sounded better than "this HK stereo is a POS even though HD has continued to put them in bikes for 7 years, and odds are good that it will go out with no warning. Hopefully it will still be under warranty. If I were you I'd take it out immediately and put something decent in its place and see if you can get some sucker to buy it on the internet."

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And in contrast to the rest of you, I can ride all day and never turn mine up. I like and appreciate a decent sounding stereo, and I have upgraded my stock speakers, but I don't at all feel like I HAVE to have it turned on while riding.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Personally, I listen to mine a lot, bit a gimmick? I don't think so. Someone that rides a bike without a stereo might buy in to that, but for those of I'd have them-not so much...

Rowdy

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Never had a bike with tunes before but now that i have the choice i wouldn't go with out them and in fact after a couple years i'm uprading a few more watts and 2 more speakers. There is some times going down the Hwy i've turned it off and just listen to the great sound of the bike rumbling down the road. But its all about having a choice

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't think the salesman is BSing at all. I don't know anyone that is more into music then me, but I rarely listen to my stereo when riding. I enjoy getting lost in the ride and listening to the engine. I went on a 5300 mile solo trip this past summer and rarely turned it on. I am going to upgrade my speakers though for the rare occasions I do turn it on.

Salesman are full of sh*t no doubt, but if I was in the business I believe on this one point I'd have to agree....we're all different

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I do enjoy blasting down the road with the tunes cranked up annoying people in the cages. but also enjoy on occasion go on rides without the radio on just to listen to the envronment and my bike too. For me i guess its like someone posted earlier about having the choice to do either. By the way most if not all sales people will do or say anything in that particular moment to make a sale. Kinda like sharks, they wait for the smell of blood then go in for the kill

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lot of people spend a lot of money on the stereo system for not hardly turning them on lol.I had a couple of bikes with 8track players sure miss the sound of changing tracks oh the good old days

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
funny

I listen to the stereo because it has one. I understand the Gimmick aspect. Gets people to buy those big bikes with stereos instead of those little bikes without. I was opting for a RK, and wife wanted any Ultra. More cool stuff on it I guess.
Glad I bought the RGC in 11, or I would have bee riding a Switchback right now and would have missed out on the shark all together.
I'm not saying I don't like my stereo, because having one I can turn on if I want it, is awesome, but if the Shark didn't have one, I would love it just like the other bikes w/o radios before her.

W

·
0 Posts
My Hawg Wired System sounds the best cranked up in my bike building while working out ther. The bass from the 6.5 ZX's and the 5.5 DX's just make my day. That's where I keep my R & R Riding CD's. On the road I listen some but I also like the sounds of nature, like the rumble of my pipes. If I'm wearing my 3/4 with the headset I'll plug in to listen to tunes and drown out the other people in my head. lol That's called Therapy!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts