Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my bike to the dealer a few weeks ago for the recall and 5g service. Hadn't heard from them so I stopped by today too see if it was ready. When the service mgr came out she had a worried look on her face. She said you know those plastic things on your fairing well we broke one. She asked where I got them I told her and she comes out with another pair but they are smaller than my original pair. I'm not sure if I'm upset that they were going to just replace it without telling me or not. So now they are going to install them then deliver her home. My wife thinks there should be a discount involved no matter what. Sancho if you see this can you verify you changed the size so I know they actually got them from you. Thanks
Rob

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Since Sancho is the only one that I know of that makes them for the RG, I am pretty sure what she is trying to replace them with is the Harley ones for the Batwing. They are much smaller. I would definitely ask for some compensation for the broken part, since you now have to replace it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
They've had it for several weeks? That sounds bad right there. And they can tell easily enough that they aren't HD parts. They should have called you and asked what they were. Unless of course it just happened as they were bringing it out.

Which is easy enough to do. I ended up breaking two of them last year (bumped them with my leg as I was walking around the bike and they cracked right off) so I just gave up on them. Motorcycles are supposed to be windy anyway.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked with sancho via email this evening and it appears he has changed the design and its not the first time a shop has broken a set.

Rob

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Did the shop have a set of Sancho's Wings? Or is the one they offered the HD set that they sell for the Street Glides? If it's the HD set, I wonder if it would have fitment issues.

·
Registered
521 Posts
They bought them from me. A pretty good dealer because some dealers will not replace them because they are not HD parts. HD does not make them for a Road Glide and the ones for an Electra Glide will not fit in any way. For some reason dealers seem to break them quite often.
I am now making them 1" narrower, same length, starting 12/1/2011. They work just as well however may look a little better in that they don't stick out quite as far from the fairing.
I can still make the wider ones.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they've been a great dealer to work with. This was the first time I've had any issue at all.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sancho, I busted mine by overtighten . . .I know . .. what a dumb ass.

Does the new design help fools like me? I really like these during the winter months, afterall less wind is warmer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sancho: Since you're here, I'll ask. I had the dealer intall mine while doing a bunch of pre-delivery installs. They look great and work fine, but since I did not install, is it "normal" for the screw to be straight/vertical and on a slight angle to the sancho wing? Seem like the screw is perpendicular to the front of the bike, but the wings are obviously on a slight angle as they follow the fairing. Just thought the screw would have been more flush to the wings.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Sancho: Since you're here, I'll ask. I had the dealer intall mine while doing a bunch of pre-delivery installs. They look great and work fine, but since I did not install, is it "normal" for the screw to be straight/vertical and on a slight angle to the sancho wing? Seem like the screw is perpendicular to the front of the bike, but the wings are obviously on a slight angle as they follow the fairing. Just thought the screw would have been more flush to the wings.
Seems to me the shop did not get the holes in the wing exactly lined up with the holes in the fairing. At least that was my experience mounting my set of wings.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The screw goes in at a slight angle. The rubber washer makes up the difference with the screw head fitting flush against the Wing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sancho,
The dealer delivered my bike back home today with the new wings and all the other services finished up. To be honest I think the new design is better. The contour cut around the glove box doors seems to work alot better. I don't think the dealer took the time like I did on the first pair to heat them up and mold them closer at the bottom to match the fairing but all in all they look great. Thanks

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts