Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use these? I just purchased a DeLorme In Reach Explorer to take with me on my road trip next week and mounted it to the handlebars with a Ram mount. Personally, I prefer not to be contacted when on a trip, nor do I necessarily want to be followed anymore than I am via my cell phone. But, being out of cell phone reception where I usually travel and having a sick wife at home, I need a 2-way communication system if there is an emergency. (There was last year, and she was in the hospital ER for hours before I got within cell range to get the message)

This year, I'll be able to send and receive and send text messages as well as alert authorities if one of the other members goes off the road and down an embankment like what happened to a Heritage rider 2 years ago. Yeah, we were out of cell coverage there as well. Other benefits are family can track where I am via a webpage map that I only share with who I wish to.

Maybe this is an idea more people should think about for road trips.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use a Spot Gen3. The device you're using does a lot more. And costs a lot more. You've got me thinking.

·
Registered
319 Posts
from what I have been reading here the in reach is the way to go. I know it cost alitte more but you could do much more with it. I was thinking about getting one. talk to shug or fxd-tim.they could help you out a lot more in your choices

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a Spot Gen3. The device you're using does a lot more. And costs a lot more. You've got me thinking.
The Spot was my first choice. The dealbreaker was the lack of 2-way communication. I won't use it enough to justify the cost of a true sat phone and corresponding plan, but the InReach has an option with their plans to turn them on and off so you don't have to pay for a subscription if the communicator stays in the house for a few months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts