Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 FLTRX and was thinking of adding satelite radio to my stock head unit. My question is this, do I need to use HD parts or can I use aftermarket antenna and interface? Was considering a SVX300V1. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used the HD parts with my stock unit. Just make sure they give you the right wiring harness. FYI some times when I am riding with trees by the road. I do get interuped signal. This is something I have to live with. But over all I like it. The dealer told me I might have to have the radio flashed. But I installed it my self and the radio acknowledge the satalite unit. I have read that maybe I have the antenna installed out of my fairing but I chose to have it hidden in the fairing. I did not want the antenna on the handlebars or mounted on the fairing.. Its no big deal installing it.
hope this might help.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The SVX300V1 only plugs in to a dedicated port on an aftermarket satellite-ready radio, and will not work with the stock HK radio. I've been looking for an adapter/extension cable so I could move one from my bike to my truck (2011 F150 SuperCrew) in the winter but apparently one does not exist, so I'm looking for other alternatives...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I just used the satellite receiver that I use in my truck. You can get a docking cradle for the receiver and an antenna that is made just for motorcycle applications. Going this route allowed me to have Satellite radio on both the auto and the bike but I only have to pay for 1 subscription. You do have to mount the receiver on the handlebars which is a drawback.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have a SIRIUS Docking station mounted on the right handlebar.
I have the magnetic antenna sitting on the top edge of the radio, inside the fairing.
At first, I had it sitting in the middle of the radio.

But when I added the windshield trim, the signal was dropped, a lot. The trim is metal and blocked the antenna.

But when I moved it up to the top, no more dropped signal.

I know it is hard to see in the photo, but there is a metal tab at the top of the radio.
The tab moves the antenna level with the ground. Just make sure it is all the way up.
When I first moved it, it fell back and I lost signal. But when I made sure it was secure, no more problems.​

·
Registered
269 Posts
On my 1998 I had the magnet antenna attached to the rear fender under the luggage rack. Never had a signal issue with it at all.

A couple things about Sirius/XM. The XM satellite sits lower on the horizon and you will get signal drops in the mountains no matter where you put the antenna. If you have a choice Sirius is much better. Especially if you prefer NFL and NASCAR.

Also...if you can find one of the older Starmate Sirius radios....they have MUCH stronger FM transmitters than the newer radios. The FCC got on them about that and they drastically reduced the power after about 2006 or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts