Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm pulling the fairing to do some housekeeping and repairs and have been looking at possibly installing an aftermarket head unit but am unsure if it would be worth it. for those who have done it, did it really improve the sound while at highway speed to be able to notice the difference and warrant the possible water/vibration risks?

i am already running an amp and JM 7.25 rokkers and have decent sound. my only draw to switch head units is to have more media options (SD card, USB, bluetooth, etc). i really like being able to wash the bike and tour with it without worrying. i've read conflicting things on how waterproof aftermarket radios are. my ride isn't a garage queen and i don't want a show pony.

thoughts? worth it?

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
IMO it's well worth it, I have'nt had any water problems, and being in FL, we do get rain. I don't spray water directly into the unit, but I didn't do that with the HK unit either. I'm probably going to be changing to the Alpine 149BT, but that's because I've heard several reports on this and a couple of other forums that the display is very good in the daytime.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your sound system is only as strong as your weakest link. If you've got your amp and speakers in place, finish off with a good high quality head unit with an LCD display, which the stock HK ain't!. The Alpine 149 will not disappoint.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You guys are killing me with the 149BT stuff...:confused: Got me thinking about pulling my IDA-X100M and swapping out, I wish it would support a 7 gen Ipod Nano....

·
Registered
587 Posts
You guys are killing me with the 149BT stuff...:confused: Got me thinking about pulling my IDA-X100M and swapping out, I wish it would support a 7 gen Ipod Nano....
It can. Run a USB cable from the output on the back of the unit to a glovebox. Then just plug in a lightening connector from the USB to your nano.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Swapped out my head unit for the exact reason... I wanted to have USB, Blue tooth support.

I bought the Sidecare cycles install kit and splash guard.... no problems protecting it from the weather.

Might swap out my Sony HU for the Alpine this spring.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It can. Run a USB cable from the output on the back of the unit to a glovebox. Then just plug in a lightening connector from the USB to your nano.
I already have an Ipod set up on the X100M, I have mine in the tour pak. I'm using an older Nano on the bike and have the 7th gen in my Bronco, but that headunit has a problem seeing the new Nano.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how well does that splash gaurd stay on when you are driving? any chance it could vibrate off?

Swapped out my head unit for the exact reason... I wanted to have USB, Blue tooth support.

I bought the Sidecare cycles install kit and splash guard.... no problems protecting it from the weather.

Might swap out my Sony HU for the Alpine this spring.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rad thanks man. i was checking out your build and was thinking of trying the hawg wired 6 pack and an alpine cde-hd149BT. also looking to send my gauges in to get some new blue LED's.

right now my 2 options are send my factory head unit to iron aces to add some pre-amp outs, add some extra waterproofing, and change LED color to blue. or...sell the factory head unit on eBay and buy the alpine with the hawg wired radio connector kit and vtwin audio's cover and splash gaurd.

decisions, decisions...

my only hold up is i would hate to have the head unit blow or short. i ride a lot and don't stop for rain or snow.

now if i could just find that money tree too...

Have not had any issue like that with mine. Also have not read about anyone's doing that.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
rad thanks man. i was checking out your build and was thinking of trying the hawg wired 6 pack and an alpine cde-hd149BT. also looking to send my gauges in to get some new blue LED's.

right now my 2 options are send my factory head unit to iron aces to add some pre-amp outs, add some extra waterproofing, and change LED color to blue. or...sell the factory head unit on eBay and buy the alpine with the hawg wired radio connector kit and vtwin audio's cover and splash gaurd.

decisions, decisions...

my only hold up is i would hate to have the head unit blow or short. i ride a lot and don't stop for rain or snow.

now if i could just find that money tree too...
I've been caught in 2 storms that were so bad I had to park the bike in the raid and wait it out..... no issues at all.

Also rode though some pretty wet weather on RT66 last year and had no issues.

When I wash the bike I steal my wifes shower cap and put it over the radio / fairing hole. :) I also put one over my air cleaner.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
When I wash the bike I steal my wifes shower cap and put it over the radio / fairing hole. :) I also put one over my air cleaner.

Good luck :)
You better not let her catch you using her blow dryer to speed up the drying process :rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i think i pieced together my plan:

- alpine cde-hd149bt head unit
- hertz hcx165 speakers
- biketronics radio wiring kit
- vtwin radio bezel kit and splash guard
- hawg wired rs400 amp
- hawg wired grills and speaker rings

anyone interested look for my stock harley head unit, hdpdplus ipod controller, jm rokkers, and rockford fosgate amp to hit the classifieds in the next week or two.

thanks all for chiming in!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I ordered the Alpine HD-149BT last night, $220 from Amazon with free shipping....

Now got to tear it all apart and start over....:D

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
well, i think i pieced together my plan:

- alpine cde-hd149bt head unit
- hertz hcx165 speakers
- biketronics radio wiring kit
- vtwin radio bezel kit and splash guard
- hawg wired rs400 amp
- hawg wired grills and speaker rings

anyone interested look for my stock harley head unit, hdpdplus ipod controller, jm rokkers, and rockford fosgate amp to hit the classifieds in the next week or two.

thanks all for chiming in!
I'm willing to bet you're not going to miss your stock set up 5 minutes after you get the above installed, probably going to kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I swapped out my OEM head unit last summer with a Sony when it crapped out. Should have done it years ago had I known it would be such a great improvement.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's always so tough to choose between engine work or sound upgrades! my second dream plan is to punch out to a 107 with a drago kit, do head porting and throttle body, and put in a dragula 2-1. i either gotta save for the next year or sell my KTM for that project though, and the KTM ain't going nowhere!

I'm willing to bet you're not going to miss your stock set up 5 minutes after you get the above installed, probably going to kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone know if the hertz hcx165 speakers require a crossover? i know JM has them built in and hawg wired includes separate crossovers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts