Is it worth 100 bucks? :confused:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Had one for my softail and it worked well. Of course the oil is already black so you can easily tell when the new, golden, oil starts coming out. I would think that if there was some heavy metals within the system they would still be there. But you do get all the old oil out. When I sold my softail I put the Scavenger on Craigslist and it sold in 2 days just a few bucks less than I paid for it. :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had one for my softail and it worked well. Of course the oil is already black so you can easily tell when the new, golden, oil starts coming out. I would think that if there was some heavy metals within the system they would still be there. But you do get all the old oil out. When I sold my softail I put the Scavenger on Craigslist and it sold in 2 days just a few bucks less than I paid for it. :)
Why didn't you get one for your RG?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You only have to use it once and see all that dirty oil to make you a beliver.Why would you want any dirty oil in you motor no matter how often you change it. would not everynot use mine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Works great on my soft-tail...have yet to purchase for my bagger, but it's on my list.

I agree with Craig...once you see how much worn-out...used-up oil you're still leaving in your bike, you might re-consider your opinions.

D-

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had bought one for my road king after I had like 15k on it and changed oil religiously every 3 to 5k miles and oil was not nasty but not great either and I was also skeptical about it because it said to run the bike with the drain plug out but it has a fitting that slows you to use a fresh quart of oil to flow thru the entire engine and push the rest of the trapped oil out and I was really satisfied with how clean the oil was after about 3k on a change compared to before with just draining it so IMHO it is worth every dime

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't think it says to run with drain plug out, how would you not lose every ounce of oil in your bike if you did that? I had one for my softail and loved it, it really helped me see the dirty oil in the system. I just have it purchased the new one yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Engines have been around for over a hundred years,and the ain't been a problem with the conventional oil change,but it's your money if you think it'll solve a problem, best you buy a scavenger;)

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
What's the purpose of the Scavenger Puck?
Can't you just leave the old oil filter on until all the old oil is out.
Then change the filter when you're finished.
Mike U.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The puck is to recirculate the oil thru snd not changing the filter defeats the purpose of the system and the drain plug is to let the oil out that you are putting back into the engine it is really a simple process but is great I kept mine from my rk and works great on the new road glide would not change oil without it again and if they made one for my truck I would get one for also ...it is almost like flushing out your transmission

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Is the Scavenger necessary? Absolutely...

Not.

Do I own one and use it all the time? ABSOLUTELY!

Just changed my three oils. The Scavenger system is said to clean out about 1/2 quart of dirty oil from the system. I let about ONE and 1/4 quarts run through before the oil is very clean. I ran clean Mobil 1 (not V-Twin, the regular kind) which I use in my tractor. Though I normally use Amzoil, this time I used Red Line. I could not determine a difference in the clutch or engine with the Red Line, but BOY does the Shockproof Tranny Fluid smooth that sucker out. Plus, as easy as it was to find neutral with the Amzoil, it is even easier with the Shockproof. Highly recommended.

Getting back to the Scavenger, if you never owned one, you would not need one. However, once you see all that crap come out of the engine with the scavenger, you would NEVER do without it. I am convinced that some of the BREAK IN oil must still reside in the engine for its entire life without the system purge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought one used it on my RG to do a complete change from the 1000 mi dealer service with regular oil. I switched to Amsoil, I will use it every time. Used it on my friends bat wing to get the breakin oil out of his 107 build worked great to get all that breakin oil out. Using it on other friends softtail to switch from regular oil to Amsoil. I suppose if you change at 3000 mi it wouldn't matter that much, I run 5000 and want it all out and for winter storage I want it all out. Not to mention mixing regular oil with syn can't be good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts