Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 RGU was slipping in 5th gear. So i had my local bike shop install the barnett scorpion clutch with medium springs. Solved the slipping in 5th but then started to squawk/slip in first gear. Went with heavy duty springs which solved the 1st gear issue but now its slipping in 5th gear again. Its been back to the shop 4 times for the issue. Either its slipping in 5th or 1st. Back and forth with this issue. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I remember reading people having issues and the removed the 2 dampening springs and it fixed their problems. Have you called Barnett? Sounds like something isn't installed correctly. My scorpion makes the noise when taking off. If your slipping with the hd spring in you have a problem.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What motor in your RGU?

·
Registered
809 Posts
To me it sounds like the adjustment is off on the clutch, especially after you put the heavy springs in it. The adjuster screw could be seated to deep and the plates aren't making full contact.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me it sounds like the adjustment is off on the clutch, especially after you put the heavy springs in it. The adjuster screw could be seated to deep and the plates aren't making full contact.
Thanks! You may be right,

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My 2012 RGU was slipping in 5th gear. So i had my local bike shop install the barnett scorpion clutch with medium springs. Solved the slipping in 5th but then started to squawk/slip in first gear. Went with heavy duty springs which solved the 1st gear issue but now its slipping in 5th gear again. Its been back to the shop 4 times for the issue. Either its slipping in 5th or 1st. Back and forth with this issue. Any ideas??
I've seen this issue with the only 2 Scorpions that I know directly of, no slip (124s:eek:) but the 1st gear squawk was terrible; both on the CVO Hydraulic Clutch, I know you have a cable which gives more latitude for adjustment. Both guys went round and round with the Indys involved, with different primary fluids, installation procedures, etc...(not the Indy's fault IMO, Barnett's supplied instructions were lacking). After seeing what these guys went through, IMO the best way to fix (if, after making sure the clutch being properly adjusted doesn't cure ~ I reread and see it's an either / or issue) get your Indy, yourself and Barnett on the phone at the same time, tell them what bike you have, what fluid, the install procedure used and see what Barnett has to say.

After Barnett sent these guys new components, and following Barnett's over the phone installation procedures to a "T", the squawk was reduced significantly but still squawks from time to time...

Or if Barnett can't fix, just installing the SE Heavy Duty Spring ($35.) to your stock clutch (might have to replace the OE plates if they are fried?) is plenty for your motor...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've been thinking of installing that clutch next winter.

What primary fluid are you using?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen this issue with the only 2 Scorpions that I know directly of, no slip (124s:eek:) but the 1st gear squawk was terrible; both on the CVO Hydraulic Clutch, I know you have a cable which gives more latitude for adjustment. Both guys went round and round with the Indys involved, with different primary fluids, installation procedures, etc...(not the Indy's fault IMO, Barnett's supplied instructions were lacking). After seeing what these guys went through, IMO the best way to fix (if, after making sure the clutch being properly adjusted doesn't cure ~ I reread and see it's an either / or issue) get your Indy, yourself and Barnett on the phone at the same time, tell them what bike you have, what fluid, the install procedure used and see what Barnett has to say.

After Barnett sent these guys new components, and following Barnett's over the phone installation procedures to a "T", the squawk was reduced significantly but still squawks from time to time...

Or if Barnett can't fix, just installing the SE Heavy Duty Spring ($35.) to your stock clutch (might have to replace the OE plates if they are fried?) is plenty for your motor...
Thanks bro! They have had barnett on the phone a couple of times, Tried different fluids.. ATF and such. Seems like were chasing it back and forth. Either slips in 5th or squawks in 1st. FRUSTRATING!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks bro! They have had barnett on the phone a couple of times, Tried different fluids.. ATF and such. Seems like were chasing it back and forth. Either slips in 5th or squawks in 1st. FRUSTRATING!
'Bet your Indy is sharing in the Frustration too :mad: Spring is here and he's probably getting busy... and you need to ride...

Unless Barnett / your Indy can come up with a timely solution, reinstalling the OE Clutch (I'd put in new OE plates) and the SE Heavy Duty Spring, might be the way to go???

Post here and let us know what you find??

Good luck!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Bet your Indy is sharing in the Frustration too :mad: Spring is here and he's probably getting busy... and you need to ride...

Unless Barnett / your Indy can come up with a timely solution, reinstalling the OE Clutch (I'd put in new OE plates) and the SE Heavy Duty Spring, might be the way to go???

Post here and let us know what you find??

Good luck!!

You are right in all ways. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my Indy and myself were on the phone with Barnett and Barnett is sending a new clutch and hard parts. This will be the 3rd set they've sent.
Maybe the third time will be a charm. Should be here next week. Looks like I'm goint to have to take the truck to Leesburg bike fest.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well my Indy and myself were on the phone with Barnett and Barnett is sending a new clutch and hard parts. This will be the 3rd set they've sent.
Maybe the third time will be a charm. Should be here next week. Looks like I'm goint to have to take the truck to Leesburg bike fest.
Personally i would just send it all back....throw the SE spring in it and depending on what rpm you are slipping in fifth gear you may need a VPP.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I never had a problem with the HD clutch. I do use the SE clutch spring and I did replace the clutch plates once just for general maintenance and when I did that I used the SE performance clutch plates which gets rid of the dampener spring and the dampener spring seat.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I have Scorpion clutch in my 117" wide glide, started to squawk in first. Changed to Royal Purple Synthetic ATF, made a huge difference.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trans shaft bent

Well turns out the shaft was bent and wasnt the clutch at all.
So I'm going with the Baker DD7. Should be up and running by next weeks end. $$ Things aint cheap.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well turns out the shaft was bent and wasnt the clutch at all.
So I'm going with the Baker DD7. Should be up and running by next weeks end. $$ Things aint cheap.
'Glad y'all figured it out. Any idea what caused the shaft to bend?

I'm real happy with the DD7.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
'Glad y'all figured it out. Any idea what caused the shaft to bend?

I'm real happy with the DD7.
Were thinking that the Motor work / Heads/ Cams/Eliminating Compensator to soild sprocket, etc... i had done was the start of the culprit.
Funny thing though, HD makes a repair kit for the 6-sd tran shaft.
I wonder if they know of their weakness. I guess its okay for stock.
Just food for thought for those of you thinking of upgrades and that need for speed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts