Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Not sure if its possible or not, but what have you all been doing to keep from scraping the floor boards when aggressively riding in twisties? (Please don't say slow down). Is there a way to gain some ground clearance for these? They handle so well all the way to the scrape. Air suspension aired up to 45 pounds.

Thanks in advance.

BG

·
Registered
664 Posts
I replace my floorboard pans once a year. that's my fix. some times I find them cheap on eBay other times the stealer takes my money. It's kinda strange but I like the sound. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All that replacing the "wear parts" will do is reduce my ground clearance again after all that work grinding off the parts that touch down first. Still doesn't help my initial problem of not having enough ground clearance in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head on up to Dubuque, then over to Galena. There are a few roads there that will get you going. Alternatively, come on out here,,,we've got plenty of scrapers. Mulholland, Hwy 33, Hwy 2 and Angels Crest.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Or go to a true air suspension like legends and you can jack up the rear for the twisites and lower it to something more comfortable for the not so technical stuff. The best part is you can adjust it on the fly....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Greetings,
Not sure if its possible or not, but what have you all been doing to keep from scraping the floor boards when aggressively riding in twisties? (Please don't say slow down). Is there a way to gain some ground clearance for these? They handle so well all the way to the scrape. Air suspension aired up to 45 pounds.

Thanks in advance.

BG
If you use a set of floorboard relocaters to move them forward they actually go up a little as well . It might help a little . Im using the Kury relocators and they move the boards out 1" and forward 1" so the lean angle is about the same, but if you just moved them forward you would gain a little.

Think of the floorboards as your "curb feelers" to tell you before you hit the hard parts that dont fold and will lift your wheels and put you down. Shortly after the boards hit you will get into the hard mounts, exhaust or engine guard.

Ive burned up all of mine on every HD Ive owned with boards if they get bad replace them, there are cheap.

·
Registered
453 Posts
if you use a set of floorboard relocaters to move them forward they actually go up a little as well . It might help a little . Im using the kury relocators and they move the boards out 1" and forward 1" so the lean angle is about the same, but if you just moved them forward you would gain a little.

Think of the floorboards as your "curb feelers" to tell you before you hit the hard parts that dont fold and will lift your wheels and put you down. Shortly after the boards hit you will get into the hard mounts, exhaust or engine guard.

Ive burned up all of mine on every hd ive owned with boards if they get bad replace them, there are cheap.
^qft!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I just wish I could find a corner sharp enough to drag the boards.........
Go out in an empty parking lot and practice like you're doing a u-turn on a narrow country road. It's good practice for when it's necessary and you'll find your floorboards in the process....I know what yo mean though. I have to travel a few hours to get somewhere that's not so flat.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Geez, plenty of opportunites here and I live in South FLorida. I can easily scrape them in roundabouts and entering on ramps while crossing the other lanes. I really don't care if I scrape them up, just concerned about how easy they fold up and how much further can I go before I get the metal-slide-off-the-road stuff.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Greetings,

Thanks in advance.

BG
I hope this doesn't sound insulting, but seriously, if you want to reduce the amount of board scraping, go take one of the advanced riding classes, like Lee Parks Total Control. They'll teach you body positioning techniques that'll allow you to takes curves faster and safer, and with less board scraping.

I took that class a few years ago and I don't scrape nearly as much as I used to, but I move through the corners better and faster than I ever have.

Cheers. -Jay

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Lean your body into the curve and scoot your ass over to the inside. That reduces the required lean. You probably won't need knee pucks though... :)

I see people in twisties leaning to keep their body upright in a corner and they will scrape a lot while not cornering as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Since I lowered mine it scrapes alot now. Has any one switched to the banana boats that look thinner and don't have add much of a lip as the stock boards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts