36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys.
Brand new RG Owner.
Went up to take a shower.
Came down.
Bike drooped ti side.
Hell yeah. What a start.
I have now some scratches on the right and bottom left.

Can these scratches being varnished so it looks like new, i mean new or do i need new saddlebags

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry about that, real bummer. Hard to tell by the pics, but I would certainly try buffing, etc. And I would want to know why the thing fell over. Much falling with these things does get expensive. A friend of mine dinged a bag up and he had his body guy respray and blend the color in. Never know it to look at it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
From the pictures, those scratches look like they’re past the cleacoat. Might be able to buff some of it out using something like a Porter Cable dual action polisher. Would take a while, but way less chance screwing it up than using a direct drive. Harley isn’t known for laying clearcoat on very thick these days, so you might end up making it worst anyway. There’s videos on how to use spray can clear coat, but black shows every little defect. It sucks but you’re probably better off just getting it repainted or finding a replacement on eBay. Sorry for ya.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hard to tell by the pictures but how did it get both sides? Seems like if it's falling only the left side should hit.
That sucks..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune, but it looks like both bags are damaged. The material is gouged on the right, and it appears like the left is actually ground down. The first option is to repair and repaint. There's no way these can be "buffed" or "varnished." The second option is to replace with a factory painted bags if you can get them. I'd choose option two seeing as it's a new bike.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Both of those bags clearly have damage through the paint. I have to ask...what really happened? That bike did not just fall over...unless it fell over and slid down the driveway. Sorry about the damage to your new scoot though.
Yeah let's hear what really happened.

You got off of the bike, put the kickstand down, went and took a shower, and the bike was down just sitting there in the garage ???

I guess that's one way of getting new 4.5" extended bags, lol.

Swomack

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Sorry to read this for sure......but I am a tad confused as well - How did both bags get scratched (if I am reading the pics correctly) from a tip over? - The right bag has a hell of a long scratch on the bottom and the left bag has a chip out of the bottom - That is one crazy tip over for sure

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just guessing here, but maybe the bike was parked on a slope and left in neutral, and it rolled backwards (or forward for that matter) between the two objects that scratched both bags before it decided to lay down and take a nap.
On the bright side, at least ya don't have to worry about getting that first scratch on it anymore.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
1st off, welcome to the forum.
2nd, absolute bummer, scratches look deep.
3rd, not my business what happened.
4th, maybe put in a comp claim if your not at fault? I saw in pics taken @ night 2 lower bags, a latch cover and maybe a lid, most likely more in the daylight? Check with your agent or ins co, most likely no points or penalties if its a comp claim (act of god or vandalism) and depending on your deductable probably more cost effective. Most companies around here will replace instead of trying to mess with a color match issue and it is done the right way.
5th, park in the garage and shut the door where its not so windy...

Food for thought, good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you ride it, your bags will get scratches. Especially true for black bags.

You can take the expensive OEM bags off and store them and replace with something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivid-Black-Hard-Saddlebags-For-Harley-Touring-Road-King-Electra-Glide-2014-2018/222207137524?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=20150817211623&meid=5700d54e6301433895c3c504eb2d3943&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=222207137524&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

If you drop the bike, have a girlfriend who has metal doo dads on her boots, etc., it does not hurt as bad.
You can also install bag guards, I did. If you drop the bike, they will get scratched up, and maybe protect the bags.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Man your bike jumped around a lot while you were in the shower !!LOL. They look to deep of scratches for a simple fix. But I am not a body man. Good luck. What really happened man?

·
Registered
177 Posts
After the first time I dropped mine, I went right straight to the dealer and got bag guards. Won't help in a crash, but will protect in a low/no speed lay-down. These Geezerglides are heavy and (unless you're Hercules) if you let your guard down, they will take a nap on you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
DAMN...................nothing like kicking the guy even more . obviously his pride was all ready hurt.

my excuse would have been i was on a winding road and he laid the bike over so far the bags scraped the pavement as i was doing 80mph through the turns.

the first time i dropped the on its side i went to craigslist and and bought a set of bag guards for 50 bucks.

i would just suck it up,grab some money that i dont have, and have a body guy fix them right.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Swo , I agree . Advan Black , or another after market 4 1/2 stretched bag . In the
Vivid Black , A hell of a lot cheaper then repair, and repaint ! + 1 , On what really happened, to damage both sides? ( although it did happen to me ... ( lol ) , stepped in oil at a major intersection on way home ( after 1 beer lol ) . Got under it , and the adrenaline was flowing .... pushed over on the other side !!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts