Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else using this Air Cleaner? I have this on my bike and like the looks of it but there is an issue that it drips/leaks oil out of the bottom side of it. It is a very small amount but I noticed it after riding there will be small streaks of oil on my right side saddlebag where the small drip has flowed back there. I like the Air Cleaner but this is extremely annoying to me. Took it to the dealer and they said this was normal and that I need to clean up the Air Cleaner element about every 1000 miles. Just wondering if anyone else has run across this. Considering changing to a different Air Cleaner because of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
You are getting some blow by this happens a lot. I have a Ness Big Sucker and no such issue. Sometimes over filling engine oil can cause this apparently too much pressure and pushes some oil out through the air cleaner.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have this same issue with the same air intake. Was told to keep my oil level about 1/2 quart low and it seems to work. I also noticed that if I use a lighter oil like WD-40 on the filter I don't get as much or very little and can still keep my oil level full.

There's prob a more technical explanation but I'm not that smart...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Best way to stop the oil carry over from wetting the breather, is to keep it from ever leaving the motor.

You can enlarge the drain holes in the rocker supports. The little hole to either side of the sharpie #2. 7/64th works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I've had one on another bike. First suggestion is to wipe the oil splatter to see if it is red in color or oil color. Mine wound up being red, the filter had been over oiled from the factory. I used paper towels to blot up the excess oil from the filter. I had to do this twice before it stopped. If oil color +1 on reducing oil level by 1/2 quart. The service tech stated that it would stop when the oil level dropped from the blow by, it did, at not quite 1/2 qt low.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Best way to stop the oil carry over from wetting the breather, is to keep it from ever leaving the motor.

You can enlarge the drain holes in the rocker supports. The little hole to either side of the sharpie #2. 7/64th works well.
I'll be checking this out because i will be installing my .030 head gaskets soon and could do it then. Anybody know of any problems because of doing this?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'll be checking this out because i will be installing my .030 head gaskets soon and could do it then. Anybody know of any problems because of doing this?
Put a set of rocker lockers in and shim the rocker arms while you're there. For just a few bucks and some time you can get rid of a lot of that 2500 rpm rocker box clatter too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Put a set of rocker lockers in and shim the rocker arms while you're there. For just a few bucks and some time you can get rid of a lot of that 2500 rpm rocker box clatter too.
Thanks, i already installed some Rockouts and they did do a good job. I did not think i was going any further with aftermarket motor stuff at that time or i would have done everthing when i had it apart. I have lifters making noise so that has steered me in doing everything i want this time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the quick replies. Not sure what/how I will handle this but I need to look into the breather catch system from DK.

·
Registered
967 Posts
On 103 eng fill with 3 qt of oil and monitor level not filling above that point. That will stop oil blow of through air filter. When go stage 1 that will be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts