Road Glide banner

Screamin' Eagle Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuning Module

32K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  CherryCola 
#1 ·
Like to get some input on the SE Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuning Module with the wideband O2 sensors. I've completed a Stage II update on my M8 Ultra and I'm considering adding the Smart Tune module. Any Pro's or Con's with this addition.

#2 ·
My dealer advised that unless I was going to be traveling through altitude changes, or adding engine components (i.e. stage III or IV), that I wouldn't really see much gain out of the auto-tune. The tune that they have put into the ECM works just fine. However, if you're planning to add accessories down the road or you're a traveler, it might be the right ticket for you!!

I thought that was pretty solid advice as I've had very few dealers EVER tell me they didn't want to take my money!!

#3 ·
I am going to follow this tread as I too am thinking about purchasing this tuner for a Stage I build which will lead to a Stage II. I have acquired the SE Street Cannons and am looking for a SE Air Cleaner. I am also shopping for a Windows 10 PC for the tuner as I use Apple at the tuner is not compatible. I have found some really nice PC's for 134 shipped which will work. Please continue to post your experience with the tuner.
Bill

Reactions: cross.wrmc
#7 ·
I have a SE Pro on a family members 16' Tri-Glide. It works as advertised and as it's already been said- there isn't a need to move into the Auto Tune arena from SE unless you're doing a lot of traveling that has altitude changes, or you plan to add engine parts down the road. The standard SE tune will do just fine.

Think of it this way- the SEPT is double the cost of the standard tuner- so if you plan to add it now and only do (1) more engine upgrade, you're better off with the standard tuner and just pay a minimal cost to have them load the tune. If you go to the SEPT, you'll not only pay double for the tuner (You're still buying the standard tuner that actually loads the tune AND then the additinoal Auto Tune module that stays on the bike), but you'll also pay additional labor charges if your pipes need to be drilled out for the larger sensors going into the bike.

My closest HD dealer dyno tunes and strongly sways people away from the SE tuners and prefers the Dyno-Jet modules. As also pointed out, due to EPA restrictions, the SE tuners do not have the same flexibility to "dial in" the tune for your bike. If a fuel ratio needs to move +/- 8 points, the Dyno-Jet or other reputable tuners will allow you to do that... however, due to the EPA settlement with the MotorCo, the SE tuners might only allow you to move a maximum of +/- 4 points- so there is the potential that you're not going to really run at the optimum level for your particular set up using SE tuners.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

#8 ·
I have a SE Pro on a family members 16' Tri-Glide. It works as advertised and as it's already been said- there isn't a need to move into the Auto Tune arena from SE unless you're doing a lot of traveling that has altitude changes, or you plan to add engine parts down the road. The standard SE tune will do just fine.

Think of it this way- the SEPT is double the cost of the standard tuner- so if you plan to add it now and only do (1) more engine upgrade, you're better off with the standard tuner and just pay a minimal cost to have them load the tune. If you go to the SEPT, you'll not only pay double for the tuner (You're still buying the standard tuner that actually loads the tune AND then the additinoal Auto Tune module that stays on the bike), but you'll also pay additional labor charges if your pipes need to be drilled out for the larger sensors going into the bike.

My closest HD dealer dyno tunes and strongly sways people away from the SE tuners and prefers the Dyno-Jet modules. As also pointed out, due to EPA restrictions, the SE tuners do not have the same flexibility to "dial in" the tune for your bike. If a fuel ratio needs to move +/- 8 points, the Dyno-Jet or other reputable tuners will allow you to do that... however, due to the EPA settlement with the MotorCo, the SE tuners might only allow you to move a maximum of +/- 4 points- so there is the potential that you're not going to really run at the optimum level for your particular set up using SE tuners.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I am aware of all the epa vs aftermarket tuner debate. My 16 has a Power Vision and was dyno tuned by one of the best. I am just thinking about my 7 year warranty that I have on the 114 stage 3 kit that was installed on del of the bike. 104/106 is what the motor made with the SEPST. Obviously there is a ton more potential in this set up with an aftermarket tuner. Once I go down that road I might as well go to Fuel Moto and have the 120 installed with the Power Vision tuner. Some people think warranty is not important. With all the problems the M8 has been having I think I will keep the Warranty for a few years before I dig down deeper for real HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Hold up on the all is good with the Smart tune pro. Took a 1000 mile trip this weekend and the motor was pining constantly going down the interstate. Called dealer ship and they say it was because it was to hit out. Lol so the bike can’t be rode when it’s hot out. What a joke.

#11 ·
Maps for '17 RGU with Stage-1

I have Stage-I with the Screaming Eagle Pro tuner SE air filter and exhaust, (no autotune). Are there maps available to be run richer than the dealer's EPA approved tune (less lean) to reduce the heat from the engine? Besides perhaps a decrease in gas mileage, are their other factors or trade-offs to consider?

#14 ·
I have the SEPST. You select initial tune, if installing it yourself, then you can perform the prescribed “auto-tune” steps. You connect the interface device and laptop to the ECM to put it in record move. Then disconnect laptop and leave the interface device (VCI) connected, and ride the bike to record running parameters. Then reconnect laptop to download data for refining the tuning parameters. Then you can upload new tune into the ECM.

I did it 3 times. Each time I smoothed the VE graph by raising points that looked like local dips. Not exactly automatic.

#15 ·
I have the SEPST. You select initial tune, if installing it yourself, then you can perform the prescribed “auto-tune” steps. You connect the interface device and laptop to the ECM to put it in record move. Then disconnect laptop and leave the interface device (VCI) connected, and ride the bike to record running parameters. Then reconnect laptop to download data for refining the tuning parameters. Then you can upload new tune into the ECM.

I did it 3 times. Each time I smoothed the VE graph by raising points that looked like local dips. Not exactly automatic.

Mine has the smart tune pro on it with 18mm o2 sensors. It is supposed to tune on the fly.

#17 ·
Auto tune

I’ve got these high flow exhaust,se air cleaner,se tuner,se smart tune kit,torque cam ...and lemme tell you something the bike runs killer,great throttle response idles good good low end torque everting I expected and I’m happy with the results

#18 ·
I purchased my smart tuner 2 months ago and just got around to getting it installed today. I was very skeptical like every one else. But after having it installed I,m very, very, very happy. I have a stage 1 already so this was just an extra add on for me as I ride long distance. Last year I went to Cleveland OH and going up I-77 from NC all the way into Ohio it was falling flat on it's face. Now first off is this the best, no, can you get a better tuner, yeah. Now I live 45 miles away from my dealer so I was able to play with it at highway speeds(70+) to city speeds, to straight country back road speeds. My throttle response is more crisp, I felt a seat of the pants HP, and it feels a lot quicker than before.

#20 ·
I'm running the Pro Street Tuner with the Wideband module and have no issues. I have the 50 state CARB compliant S&S Sidewinder 2-1 on my Ultra and it runs like a champ. No ragrets about spending the coin either. I will eventually do a few auto tune sessions to tighten up the map but as is with the canned Stage 2 map in there I have no gripes, I get the sound I want, I get the look I want with a 2-1 system and I'm EPA compliant all while riding around with a full warranty. When all is said and done and my warranty is over will I switch things up......hell yes I will! Probably get a 131 incher setup from someone and a tuner that will make my bike a gross polluter. Just kidding about the gross polluter but you get my drift!

#29 ·
Hmmmmm, I didn't know S&S had a CARB compliant in a 2-1, I would have installed one, had I known ;)

I have a Rinehart Slimline true dual CARB compliant on my 2020 FLHP 114 (my wife has a Road Glide), SE breather, SE 462 speed cam, SEPST. I didn't dyno it, just loaded a Harley pre-canned map. It's increadably fast and has an absolute mule kick at 4000 rpm up to 6500 (rev limit). I got this bike late in 2020, so I haven't taken it to the mountains yet (I live below Sea Level). Usually my MPG is around 30, I can get 42 if I take it easy (Haha, I didn't have the cam installed to take it easy). My last bike, 2015 FLHP, had the 103 and was all stock and did horribly at elevation 4000 to about 6000. Anywaaaaay, I figure I'll install the AutoTune if this build has problems at elevation

#21 ·
Well I'll throw my $0.02 worth in here.

I have a 2015 CVO RGU that I did the 117" kit on in Sept. Because I have the extended warranty the dealer said I had to use the SEPST and because I travel a lot they suggested I use the auto tune module. So I went and installed both on my bike when I had the engine kit done.

There are a lot of people on the CVO forum who have installed this kit on their bikes and just to compare my bike has the LOWEST numbers of any of the other builds. Now I am the only person who is running Khrome Werks mufflers so that MIGHT have something to do with it.

I got a Power Vision for Christmas so I am going to be swapping tuners out and cancel my warranty. So I'll have a new dyno run to compare with to see how much just changing tuners does.

#22 ·
Just a thought... Why not swap out mufflers first to see where that gets you before you void your warranty? Maybe borrow a set of slip ons to see if that is contributing to your lower numbers. Any which way you look at it though, an aftermarket tuner will be able to make it run better.

#24 ·
The Harley SEPST will never get you the same results as an aftermarket tuner due to having to meet EPA standards. If you don't want your warranty anymore then that Power Vision should put a nice grin on your face! Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your gains.

#25 ·
Totally agree. Since they have to meet EPA standards it makes them not able to add the needed things to compete with aftermarket tuners.

I've been debating if I want to cancel my warranty. I don't know why I am so worried about it since on my last bike I voided it 6 months after I had bought the bike.
If I do drop the powertrain warranty I know I'll keep the tire and wheel part of it.

I'm also going to have head work done to the bike either this spring or next. Just got to decide when I want to do it.

#26 ·
Beware if you have RDRS and/or the free flow exhaust. I have a 2020 RGL with RDRS and opted for a dealer installed stage 2 (torque) to maintain my 2-year Harley and lifetime powertrain warranty. I included a Heavy Breather, free flow exhaust, and WB (Smart Tune Pro) sensors. The bike does run better, but I now have decel popping. Contrary to Harley's advertising, tunes for RDRS bikes do not include a throttle progressivity table that would allow me to tune out the popping, while non-RDRS bike maps do include that table. Nor is a decel enrichment table available as is true of TTS, PV, or other tuners. Additionally, there is no specific tune for a stage 2 with a free flow exhaust. As a result, the maximum VEs allowed by my canned map are WAY under the calculated "New VEs" that show up in my run logs. The difference at times exceeds 30 points! Although this indicates that the free flow exhaust really is capable of pulling much more flow through the engine compared to the stock headers, given the low maximum values allowed in my VE tables, I cannot take advantage of this benefit.

Bottom line, if you do a stage 2 and want to stay in warranty, don't bother with the free flow exhaust as you will not experience nearly the benefit that is possible using non-Harley tuners. And, if you have RDRS, don't expect to see a throttle progressivity table despite what HD states in their advertising. It won't be there, and if you have decel popping you will just have to live with it. The only work around that I see is to load and run a non-RDRS stage 2 map, in which case RDRS (which you paid for) will remain inactive.

#27 ·
Beware if you have RDRS and/or the free flow exhaust. I have a 2020 RGL with RDRS and opted for a dealer installed stage 2 (torque) to maintain my 2-year Harley and lifetime powertrain warranty. I included a Heavy Breather, free flow exhaust, and WB (Smart Tune Pro) sensors. The bike does run better, but I now have decel popping. Contrary to Harley's advertising, tunes for RDRS bikes do not include a throttle progressivity table that would allow me to tune out the popping, while non-RDRS bike maps do include that table. Nor is a decel enrichment table available as is true of TTS, PV, or other tuners. Additionally, there is no specific tune for a stage 2 with a free flow exhaust. As a result, the maximum VEs allowed by my canned map are WAY under the calculated "New VEs" that show up in my run logs. The difference at times exceeds 30 points! Although this indicates that the free flow exhaust really is capable of pulling much more flow through the engine compared to the stock headers, given the low maximum values allowed in my VE tables, I cannot take advantage of this benefit.

Bottom line, if you do a stage 2 and want to stay in warranty, don't bother with the free flow exhaust as you will not experience nearly the benefit that is possible using non-Harley tuners. And, if you have RDRS, don't expect to see a throttle progressivity table despite what HD states in their advertising. It won't be there, and if you have decel popping you will just have to live with it. The only work around that I see is to load and run a non-RDRS stage 2 map, in which case RDRS (which you paid for) will remain inactive.
Interesting. I have RDRS and am about to add SE SII. No free-flow exhaust though, just slip-ons. Once the warranty period is over I may move to an aftermarket tuner, free-flow exhaust, and some more robust internal parts. For now I guess I can expect the decel popping. Great. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.