Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is in for new cams and dyno. Dealer is recommending replacing my oil pump and plate with SE version. What is the forum consensus on this oil pump thingy?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Not needed on the newer engines, dealer is just trying to pad the profit.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Depending on miles. Replace the chain tensioners and possibly oil pump. JMO.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If the factory pump is not damaged or scored, there is no need to replace.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
They claim it stops blow by if that is problem you have or it would bother you,you may think about it.I get it at about 4500 miles it shows up clean the filter and do my oil change so It don't bother me.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
No real need to upgrade to the SE oil pump the stock oil pump works just fine, there is no need to replace the cam chain tensioners either if the tensioner shoes look good. What upgrade you should do is to put in new Timken inner cam bearings and make sure the dealer puts new o-rings in the oil pump. This would also be a good time to upgrade to the SE adjustable push rods IMO doing this upgrade will cut down labor cost if the cam chest needs to be opened up for repairs later on.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you have the spring loaded tensioners than I would recommend the upgrade. It converts you over to the new hydrolic style (much longer life) and it comes with the new oil pump. The new pump is a high volume in comparison to the old style. If you have ever priced a new oil pump, you are basicly getting the new cam plate and tensioners for free. Just my. 02

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
If you have the spring loaded tensioners than I would recommend the upgrade. It converts you over to the new hydrolic style (much longer life) and it comes with the new oil pump. The new pump is a high volume in comparison to the old style. If you have ever priced a new oil pump, you are basicly getting the new cam plate and tensioners for free. Just my. 02

This is true if you have the 88" twin cam engine in your 06 and earlier model bike. In the OP signature he has a 2012 model bike so his bike already has the new cam plate with high volume oil pump and hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2013 with a stage 4 done. I asked that same question about an upgraded oil pump and plate. My son did the stage 4, he is a Harley mechanic, he asked one of the master techs of 17 years about the oil pump he said it was not needed on the newer engines. save yourself $500.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This would also be a good time to upgrade to the SE adjustable push rods IMO doing this upgrade will cut down labor cost if the cam chest needs to be opened up for repairs later on.
Why do it now,it won't save anything.
How can changing push rods be considered an "upgrade"?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
This is true if you have the 88" twin cam engine in your 06 and earlier model bike. In the OP signature he has a 2012 model bike so his bike already has the new cam plate with high volume oil pump and hydraulic cam chain tensioners.
Sorry, couldn't see the signature on the phone! Lol!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I bought the Stage II SE pro kit that comes with SE adj pushrods, clutch spring and cams. I also am changing the inner bearings. That's a good idea on the o-rings for the oil pump. The kit is 92500003.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Thanks everyone. I bought the Stage II SE pro kit that comes with SE adj pushrods, clutch spring and cams. I also am changing the inner bearings. That's a good idea on the o-rings for the oil pump. The kit is 92500003.
Are you using Timkin brand bearings for the inner cam bearings? IMO Timkin bearing is a better bearing then the stock HD bearings.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Using SE high performance inner cam bearings. Part #24018-10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts