Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to buy for my sound system, I've got a 2020 rgu and it's upgrade time.
I'm going to run gz yellows in the front and rear pods, and hertz sv165.1 in the lowers, I am going to need at least 200 watts rms per speaker, so I'm looking at the sd 1200 4-4 at 198 rms for 4 chan els, and the 400-4-4 briged for the 2 lowers, at 200 rms per channel briged,
The 1200 4.4 is around $750 and the 400.4.4 is about $250.
So could I run 3 400.4 amps briged instead of the 1200 and 400?
That would save about $250.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don’t see why not! But you will limit yourself to standard mounting space if you decide to add more speakers.

Or you will windup buying the bigger amp later. Lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess bottom lines is, try best to know if you will add more speakers (lids or bags) later, if not you’ll be fine with that setup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My suggestion is take a step back and evaluate your plan. The GZ coaxs aren’t going to fit in a TP pod without at least an inch spacer which will be hideous. And since you have a Limited, you have additional controls on the outsides of the pod which makes it even more challenging.

The 1200 and a 400 will not fit in your fairing without a Lex tray and you’re going to have a hard time fitting three 400s as well. Last, you’re going to need a dsp for those Hertz. You can set the high pass and let them roll off naturally but it’s not ideal.

You’ve got a few speed bumps ahead of you. I’d consider the GZ black for TP/lowers especially since you have a radiator and a water bottle behind the right side. Space is minimal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was able to fit 2 SD 800.4’s and a DSR1 dsp using the cheap metra mount. I did have to modify it. If that’s even an option as far as enough wattage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I have two 800.4’s and a NVX amp all in the front fairing, but the 1200.4 and 800.4 as CP says is correct won’t fit together without that Lex replacement rack.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don’t even know, my sled is tucked away currently with a nice warm blanket so I can’t even go measure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really good info, I wasn't sure about the hertz but thats what somebody (without a rg) recommend, I don't know squat and have been reading feverishly to learn up on this, probably going to get the lex rack, just not too sure about cutting stuff out.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
@avultra heed the advice of @cpbedor, He is a Wealth of Audio Knowledge and will not steer You wrong.
Great writeup and explanation Chris.
You are extremely helpful on Our Great Forum.
Mike U.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Really good info, I wasn't sure about the hertz but thats what somebody (without a rg) recommend, I don't know squat and have been reading feverishly to learn up on this, probably going to get the lex rack, just not too sure about cutting stuff out.
Be sure, I am not saying the SV165s aren’t a good speaker. They are! I ran a set for multiple years in my fairing which is more than can be said for most speakers I’ve owned. What I’m saying about them is they don’t fit anywhere other than the fairing. I have a limited with vtwin adapters in the TP and the SVs won’t fit because of the passenger controls located in the rear pods. I also have lowers fabricated from HD Ultra speaker lowers. They look like they belong on the bike. I don’t have spacers because they’re hideous and as such, I have less than 2.5” of mounting depth. I currently run the GZ blacks in both locations and that’s the best sounding speaker I’ve heard in that location and I’ve had at minimum 6 different sets of speakers in each location. They’re all getting just over 300w each, they are playing between 150hz to 8000hz and they do exactly what I need them to do - play insanely loud and they do it flawlessly, which is exactly what we’re looking for from a lower and a TP pod.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I looked at the black basket, and they are about $250 apiece, thats about 4-500 more then the yellows (x4)
So what do you guys think about mmats PA 601cx for lowers and tour pack, and yellows in the faring?
And instead of a 1200, and 400 just get a 800-4-4 and a 400-4 and put 150rms to the mmats and 200 for the gz's

·
Registered
290 Posts
The mmats are fine for the lowers and pack. Still need vtwin adapters. They still don’t fit as good as blacks do.
GZ yellow in fairing is best bet.
1200.4 4 ohm
Channel 1 - GZ yellow 200 watts
Channel 2 - GZ yellow 200 watts
Channel 3 - mmats lower parallel 150 watts each
Channel 4 - mmats pack parallel 150 watts each

GZ blacks would work similar. But I’d def do dsp with those.

Your plan of 2 amps is also fine. But I can’t guarantee that an 800 and 400 fit well. Not to mention all the Y adapters. You also have to consider flash, BT355, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely getting a flash,
The mmats are fine for the lowers and pack. Still need vtwin adapters. They still don’t fit as good as blacks do.
GZ yellow in fairing is best bet.
1200.4 4 ohm
Channel 1 - GZ yellow 200 watts
Channel 2 - GZ yellow 200 watts
Channel 3 - mmats lower parallel 150 watts each
Channel 4 - mmats pack parallel 150 watts each

GZ blacks would work similar. But I’d def do dsp with those.

Your plan of 2 amps is also fine. But I can’t guarantee that an 800 and 400 fit well. Not to mention all the Y adapters. You also have to consider flash, BT355, etc.

So you're saying parallel the lowers and tour packs? I'm new to anything other then amp.to speaker kind of thing, even bridging kinda trips me out.
If I flash will I still need a dsp?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not if you’re running a full range coax, no.

You’ve got your wiring diagram!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 800.4 and 400.4 will fit. I have one 800.4 under the radio and the other 800.4 over the headlight.

No y-adapters, just dsp and tons of RCAs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not if you’re running a full range coax, no.

You’ve got your wiring diagram!

Also, the 1200-4 running the mmats parallel, will that make it 2 ohms, and if so can I run the 2 yellows @4 ohms, and the mmats @ 2 with the same amp?
Or am I way off base?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts