Road Glide banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also, the 1200-4 running the mmats parallel, will that make it 2 ohms, and if so can I run the 2 yellows @4 ohms, and the mmats @ 2 with the same amp?
Or am I way off base?
Avultra this will be a nice setup!! Please take pics of install. I’m curious on the fit for that amp and the sound running them parallel. Are the GZ’s 8 ohm speakers to begin with??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Advantage? That’s not really how it works. Ohm measures resistance. When you run a 4 ohm speaker in parallel with another 4 ohm speaker, you create a 2 ohm load. This is law, not an advantage. The advantage is that you have an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and can deliver the power to those speakers without overheating or shutting down. Saying this another way, a 1200.4 - 4 ohm is “rated” to deliver 221x4 at 4 ohms. So if you hooked up four 4 ohm speakers, that’s what you’ll pull out of each channel. Now in your case, you’ll run your GZs off channel 1/2 each getting 221. You will take your lowers parallel to channel 3 ( two 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohm load to the amp) and the amp will deliver 335w. That means each speaker will see 167.5 And you will take your tourpak speakers to channel 4 and do the exact same thing yielding the exact same results.

Want to be more confused? Throw in 8 ohm speakers. My fairing speakers are 8 ohms. I have these run parallel and bridged to a 1200.4-4 which delivers 670W distributed equally to the two fairing speakers at 335w each. I also have 8 ohm 10s in the bags that are bridged to a mono block amp pulling 1700w each speaker. This particular amp is pushing at a 4 ohm load. If I had 4 ohm 10s run parallel showing a 2 ohm load, the amp would push 5575w or just under 2800w each. So there are reasons you plan out your setup and buy the amp that will best suit your design. The amps we buy for our bikes can generally perform at 2 ohms and are designed to perform ideally at 4 ohms. This is very different that what used to happen in car audio of the 90s when I was running amps down to a half ohm and they were slamming. Totally different amps, different stability and cooling - different world. We can’t run our 1200.4-4 down to a half ohm, they’d fry quickly.

So there’s really no “advantage” per se, but rather a necessity. Does that help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Advantage? That’s not really how it works. Ohm measures resistance. When you run a 4 ohm speaker in parallel with another 4 ohm speaker, you create a 2 ohm load. This is law, not an advantage. The advantage is that you have an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and can deliver the power to those speakers without overheating or shutting down. Saying this another way, a 1200.4 - 4 ohm is “rated” to deliver 221x4 at 4 ohms. So if you hooked up four 4 ohm speakers, that’s what you’ll pull out of each channel. Now in your case, you’ll run your GZs off channel 1/2 each getting 221. You will take your lowers parallel to channel 3 ( two 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohm load to the amp) and the amp will deliver 335w. That means each speaker will see 167.5 And you will take your tourpak speakers to channel 4 and do the exact same thing yielding the exact same results.

Want to be more confused? Throw in 8 ohm speakers. My fairing speakers are 8 ohms. I have these run parallel and bridged to a 1200.4-4 which delivers 670W distributed equally to the two fairing speakers at 335w each. I also have 8 ohm 10s in the bags that are bridged to a mono block amp pulling 1700w each speaker. This particular amp is pushing at a 4 ohm load. If I had 4 ohm 10s run parallel showing a 2 ohm load, the amp would push 5575w or just under 2800w each. So there are reasons you plan out your setup and buy the amp that will best suit your design. The amps we buy for our bikes can generally perform at 2 ohms and are designed to perform ideally at 4 ohms. This is very different that what used to happen in car audio of the 90s when I was running amps down to a half ohm and they were slamming. Totally different amps, different stability and cooling - different world. We can’t run our 1200.4-4 down to a half ohm, they’d fry quickly.

So there’s really no “advantage” per se, but rather a necessity. Does that help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got it! I knew it dropped 4 ohm speakers to 2 when running in parallel, I just didn’t know if it would overheat faster pushing a 4 ohm amp to producing 2 ohm power. I’ve always been groomed to the fact that 2 ohm amps/speakers produce more power, but at the cost of heating faster. Ignorance on my part, I know. But this is great info for me, time to plan out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Avultra this will be a nice setup!! Please take pics of install. I’m curious on the fit for that amp and the sound running them parallel. Are the GZ’s 8 ohm speakers to begin with??
It will be a month or so, now that I know what I need to buy, + wiring + speaker adapters + flash, just putting together a budget now.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts