Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Provided that the funds are there, in early 2013 I will be upgrading my cams and exhaust. After doing a lot of research, I have decided to go with the SE 255 cam and the Pro Pipe from Vance and Hines (the regular, not the HO pipe). I am not looking for other combo suggestions cause I know there are a lot of good ones out there, but I am just trying to get a sense as to whether these would make a good combination. Since the SE 255 is a good low/mid torque cam I just want to make sure the Pro Pipe will support that, and not diminish the gains I expect from the cam.

I have a 96", with SE air filter and Supertuner.

Thanks for your observations!

·
Registered
232 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the pipe. It puts out great power without a cam swap. I think you'll be happy with your choices, but I haven't done the cams yet. I'm perfectly happy with just the pipe and power vision. I probably will end up putting in the 255s just for something to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot murlsquirl for your input! The Pro Pipe looks great on your bike!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but I don't understand why anyone would use the 255 cam any more.
The 255 cam is a epa legal cam. It doesn't come close to being the top low - mid range cam in power output. It is the stock epa legal cam used in CVO bikes. Look at the CVO dyno threads and see what happens when they replace their stock 255 with a real cam.
The difference is like night and day.
Still it is your bike and your money and this was just my opinion....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but I don't understand why anyone would use the 255 cam any more.
The 255 cam is a epa legal cam. It doesn't come close to being the top low - mid range cam in power output. It is the stock epa legal cam used in CVO bikes. Look at the CVO dyno threads and see what happens when they replace their stock 255 with a real cam.
I am guessing it's being done for warranty reasons?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PFWIZ and jim_b. You're right jim, warranty is a consideration with my choice. PFWIZ, the other cam that I was very interested in was the S&S 551, but I just kept on reading so many good reviews of the 255, that I thought that if I could get good performance in the RPM range I rode and have fewer warranty issues, so much the better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lance- Interesting thread because I was planning the exact same cam for the same reasons. I am curious, what tuner were you planning on going with?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the pipe. It puts out great power without a cam swap. I think you'll be happy with your choices, but I haven't done the cams yet. I'm perfectly happy with just the pipe and power vision. I probably will end up putting in the 255s just for something to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm in the exact same boat. And I love this pipe.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Speaking of warranty, who knows what HD will warrant besides the SE cams. I rather go with a different vendor personally. However I have 2.5 years left on my warranty and would like not to jeopardize that. Nothing against SE but come there are a lot of cams that are just as good if not better when it comes to performance!

Didn't mean to steal the thread.

P

·
0 Posts
go with the S&S .551 over the 255 (or even the S&S .570,dosnt hit quite as low as the .551,but will carry higher)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lance- Interesting thread because I was planning the exact same cam for the same reasons. I am curious, what tuner were you planning on going with?
Thanks mllgator - I currently have the HD SE Supertuner, which I will continue to use for this upgrade.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had this combo for awhile as well as the 103 upgrade at the same time. The cam does work pretty well however, a couple things to think about....... The 255 cams have no overlap with means that both valves close are closed at the same time. This produces hard hot starting because of static compression and more engine heat while running. A cam that has some over lap will start easier and produce less heat. Not too much to worry about if you have auto compression heads. The 255 cams do have decent low end torque but die out quit quickly. I would go with the HD204 cams or the torquer tmann 555.

The pro pipe is a decent pipe and does produce decent torque. It does have nice fit and finish and looks great. I believe that the dragula with the stepped equal length header with ceramic coating for better heat disapation.

You can do as you wish with your upgrades, but I have done it twice and now happier with the changes I made to the Tmann and the dragula pipe.

If you want a set of good condition used 255 cams I have a set still for sale for $125 to your door and I now can accept Pay pal for them. GOOD LUCK! Panhead

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
What you are sayin may be true. But using a set of 255 cams in a 96" or 103"motor...as opposed to a stock 110", is a big difference. The lower compression of a 103" or especially a 96" motor is a much better fit for a 255 cam. JMO.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all the comments, including those with cam/pipe options different than what I am considering. It's all good info!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been looking into doing the same thing to my 010,96. I talked to the guys at harley and they priced a stage11 setup. 103,255, race tuner air cleaner,pro pipe. I have a freind who runs that setup on his 010 with good luck. I called the guys at fuel moto. This is what they suggested. Woods 555, Pro pipe(my choice) stage1 cleaner,power visions tuner. I wanted to stay 96 to keep it simple(no unbolting heads and jugs). The specs on there site for this setup,off the dyno is 96 hp with 105tq.I think. The price was nearly half that of harley with me doing the labor. I plan on doing this in the next month and will be able to do a real world test next to my buddies bike.

·
Registered
572 Posts
96 and 105 aint happenin out of a 96 cause you lucky if you get that from a 103. I got 92 and 98 out of a 103 with the 255 cams, SE ignition and the pro pipe. Sombody talkin some chit!

·
Registered
355 Posts
So many choices for a 96 which is best cam for low end range.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If I had a 96, and wasn't increasing cubic inches I'd be looking hard at the Andrews 48 or the Woods TW-222.......

P

·
0 Posts
i agree,andrews 48 would also be a good choice.both the S&S .551 or the 48 over the 255,but if you do go with the 255,have compression releases installed

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
You should be happy with your choice. I have 255 cams and Rush Reaper 2:1 and am very happy with the performance. It works in the RPM range I ride in.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts