Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my 13 fltru out of the "best" local moco's dyno rooms...:(

Pings from 1/8th to 3/4 throttle from 1500-4500 rpm regardless of what gear it is in....:eek:

Full throttle is fine?:confused:

How can they NOT know it pings on the dyno?:mad:

They only ran it 18 miles for the dyno tune.... Isn't 18 miles kind of short for a dyno tune?:rolleyes:

I am taking it back in the morning... However my confidence is totally shaken...

Same dealer does not know how to level out the fairing that is crooked, Same dealer has told me my brakes are fine when I have had the front brake lever come within 1/4 inch of the throttle at least a dozen times.... AND now they hand me a bike you can't even ride on cruise it is pinging so bad.

SOOO... ANYONE have any suggestions?

What makes tuning a se255 cam and 2/1 pipe so hard?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I just got my 13 fltru out of the "best" local moco's dyno rooms...:(

Pings from 1/8th to 3/4 throttle from 1500-4500 rpm regardless of what gear it is in....:eek:

Full throttle is fine?:confused:

How can they NOT know it pings on the dyno?:mad:

They only ran it 18 miles for the dyno tune.... Isn't 18 miles kind of short for a dyno tune?:rolleyes:

I am taking it back in the morning... However my confidence is totally shaken...

Same dealer does not know how to level out the fairing that is crooked, Same dealer has told me my brakes are fine when I have had the front brake lever come within 1/4 inch of the throttle at least a dozen times.... AND now they hand me a bike you can't even ride on cruise it is pinging so bad.

SOOO... ANYONE have any suggestions?

What makes tuning a se255 cam and 2/1 pipe so hard?
File an arbitration with the Motor Company, report them to the BBB, HDDA, then take your business elsewhere ASAP

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Definitely find another dealer, it's kind of scary, with the level of incompetence that you've mentioned I'd be very reluctant to ever let them touch my bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't believe it!

This is the "best" ??? of the local dealers that screwed this up... We will call them dealer #3 Did I mention i drove an Hour east for this pleasure?:mad:

Dealer #1 regularly lets bikes go with loose wheels, crooked wheel installs, pinched tubes and the wrong size tires... :eek: They also charge above invoice, pay 30% below wholesale for trades and 35% than the other moco shops... To do a 1000 mile service install 255's, sert and dyno tune was a quote of $2750..... Assuming you can trust a company that can't change a tire to do your dyno tune. Did I mention this dealer is only 10 miles away and I have never had them touch anything since screwing up a tire install 3 times?:(

Dealer #2 is a sister dealer of dealer #3 and freely admit they can't make a 259e can work in Memphis in August.... And yes I won't let them touch anything either!

Got to love Memphis.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer #3... Oh Well

Take it back. I got to ask, if they did a crappy job on some other things, why you let them tune your bike?
These guys never screwed up on my bike before. All this happened in this one trip.... I used them for the tune based on 3 other bikes they have done...

Oh Well.:(

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Sounds too lean. What tuner? Sounds like the street legal "SE Street tuner", it's going to be EPA "legal", meaning it's not gonna do shit.

Also many dealers are scrutinized and won't put a proper map in anymore. In Calif particularly bad, no changing anything at the dealers without it meeting epa/carb on anything built/sold later than Jan 2013. Also the indy's are being watched and shut down for dyno tuning too. Fun police are headed to a town near you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sert

It has the screaming eagle race tuner...It's listed on the dyno as well

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fun Police

No communist fun police here in the south.... YET

Just ignorance!

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is exactly the reason I run a Thunder Max!

Never needed a dyno tune, Never will...:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Go and buy the cables to interact with the SERT your self off your own lap top there is plenty of good tunes in the race tuner to download your self.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going back this morning..

It's going back this morning to see if they can do it right.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
The 2 main reason the bike will ping is the Air Fuel Ratio is off or the Timing is off or a combination of both .
The SE 255 cam and a SERT is all HD parts and it should be a piece of cake to tune for any HD dealer because HD has the base maps already for this set up. The only way this can get screwed up is by the person doing the Dyno tune. The tuner should start with the correct base map and then make adjustments to the tune and it should not take to long for this to happen. This tuner is just doing a WOT tune and not any low and mid range tunes and that is why the bike pings.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
No communist fun police here in the south.... YET

Just ignorance!
Not sure what's worse. :)

I think EPA is putting pressure on HD at the Corporate level vs local level.

Anyway... Sorry I didnt see a dyno sheet when I responded. SE RT can do what you need given the right operator (or you). That 255 is going to have high dynamic compression at lower rpms so if you're too lean you'll run hot. Of course spark can do that too. The operators rarely tweak the spark, especially if they aren't really adept. The canned maps from HD that they probably used are still likely "smog" tunes.

I just looked at the dyno chart. It probably has too much timing too, but you can't see that in a dyno sheet.

My suggestion is to go back and have them try and fix it again, ask for the final tune, bring a thumbdrive. If it's better, great, but at least you'll have the tune just in case. If it's not better, get the cables you need to do this yourself. Load the tune up in the SE RT application on your computer and compare it to the canned tunes that are provided. At least you'll be able to determine what changes they did... then consider sharing the map etc with HTT guys, or here and see if someone can see the problem. From there, start expirementing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day number 4 Try #2

Well test drive bike with the wife...

Pings between 2500 and 4500 with 1/2 to full throttle...

Now the bike is getting sent to their sister shop sp their master tech dyno man shop foreman can take a look at it.

I have high hopes the bike will be running properly in a week.

HD quality at work. 2 weeks and 3 techs to put in 255's and tune it...:mad:

·
Registered
112 Posts
been there done that.

Well test drive bike with the wife...

Pings between 2500 and 4500 with 1/2 to full throttle...

Now the bike is getting sent to their sister shop sp their master tech dyno man shop foreman can take a look at it.

I have high hopes the bike will be running properly in a week.

HD quality at work. 2 weeks and 3 techs to put in 255's and tune it...:mad:
I had a set of 255 cams installed at the dealer in town. Same issues your are having. I had it back to the dealer four times still wasn't right. Went to a dealer two hours away they tuned it and was much better. But still had some ping. Took it back a second time and they adjusted the timing seems to be OK now. Good luck with your tune.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research on tuners, get the cables and look on YouTube plenty of videos showing how to do the tune yourself, I hate letting anyone touch my bike.

Jay

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I can not understand why so many dealers hesitate to adjust timing tables. Factory motors are not held to specs like the aftermarket performance kits. Not every stock motor will respond the same to identical cams so the canned map for that combination is a great starting place but just because it worked without any ping on the 25 previous bikes doesn't make it the holy grail. If the a/f (at any given engine load) is correct but pre-ignition occurs, you have to reduce the timing in that area of the map (dumping fuel on it to try to cool the chamber isn't the answer). Modern tuning devices have the ability to change ignition timing for a reason!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts