Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, I have the stage 4 kit, 58mm throttle body, 10.5/1 comp. se cnc heads, valves/springs, 259e cams etc.
bike rode like crap with the break in tune and put on dyno to get it dialed in, used hide out hd in Joplin mo.
room was 45% humidity and 90 deg outside.

Engine was struggling in the 2500-2700 then would come on at 3k. He got it dialed in and really struggled with the se259e and he said the se120 engine has the same cam and struggles with it too.
when I say struggles I mean its either make shit loads of power but be light switch down low in your cruising range or just the opposite.
He ended up hitting 107.6 hpbut pulled it down to 101hp-111tq to achieve a ride able bike like I asked forwasn't looking for a # on the dyno just wanted a safe ride able bike for the lady and I.
at 2900-3000 rpm the clutch would slip for 400 rpms then catch and reel back in the curve. He said that I wouldn't feel that on the road most likely as this clutch isn't old and has the heavy spring in it.
what do you guys think? I'm thinking a smoother cam for decent nd rideablitly? still has a little pop in it around 26-2800 rpm. not to bad though. Its a little rich right there for the 3k curve where the cam comes on. he worked and worked on that to make a smooth transition.

this was a dyno jet and the SAE was 1.05

this site wont let me attach any pictures today, have been trying all day in the classifieds

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had the stage iv installed when i purchased the rgs, to keep warranty valid. Same problem on the lower rpm's. When taking off from a full stop mine sometimes coughs & spits. I have to ride the clutch & the throttle. I think i'll wait till the 2 year warranty is over then get the se tuner & dynoed!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the stage iv installed when i purchased the rgs, to keep warranty valid. Same problem on the lower rpm's. When taking off from a full stop mine sometimes coughs & spits. I have to ride the clutch & the throttle. I think i'll wait till the 2 year warranty is over then get the se tuner & dynoed!!!!!

yes. mind did the same. I have the pro super tuner and when he uploaded what was on my bike it had the stock upload that any dealer is told to put on the bike. He let me in to show me the break down of that tune that is installed and you would be surprised how lean it is in spots. down low where it coughs there was so little fuel I was shocked then right at about 2100-2400 it was up and down then at 3k it had a little fuel but not enough.

tune is needed for sure, feels way better but I think ill get new cams. Will prob go with some woods.

in 6th doing 80 mph at 3k it was using 19% throttle. after tune at same speed and rpm was using just under 11%

I did get tuned on prob the worst day we've had in the area for humidity though. It was the only day I had off so I had to do something.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Amazing what a good tune with the right guy can do while on the belts huh?

Glad you are rocking Brothah man

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Personally I would look at putting the S&S 585 cam in there. I think you will find you will be able to tune it correct, get all the engine can offer, and then still be very ridable down low. Not a fan of the 259 at all. Never a good deal to have to detune a motor to make it ridable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I would look at putting the S&S 585 cam in there. I think you will find you will be able to tune it correct, get all the engine can offer, and then still be very ridable down low. Not a fan of the 259 at all. Never a good deal to have to detune a motor to make it ridable.

I agree 100%. at full tilt it just wouldn't clear up very good down in that 2k to 3k range enough to make it a ride able. was more like a light switch and was a nightmare to take off and or hold corners, even leaving the neighborhood. Wasn't worth it to me for now. I have a 2nd bike I can rip on I just wanted this to be friendly for 2 up riding. once I do a new cam I would retune with the same principals. make me some power but don't lose the cruising readability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts