Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a dumb question but please be patient with me. I'm looking to do some motor upgrades to my roadie. Cams, pistons adj pushrods etc! I was wondering if i get it tuned with my SE tuner at the dealer could I then purchase the Power vision tuner and store the current map in it and then that way I can tinker with other maps and go back to the way it is tuned with the SE tuner when I want?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've never used the SE tuner. Is it a piggyback or does it remap the ECM? If it's a piggyback, I would think that the ECM would revert to oem once you disconnected. The PV flashes the ECM, and it does store the original tune so you can revert back if needed, but not sure if it would work with the SE. I am using a Fuel Moto map on my PV, and while I have only ridden a couple hours since installing, have seen no issues thus far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know this is a dumb question but please be patient with me. I'm looking to do some motor upgrades to my roadie. Cams, pistons adj pushrods etc! I was wondering if i get it tuned with my SE tuner at the dealer could I then purchase the Power vision tuner and store the current map in it and then that way I can tinker with other maps and go back to the way it is tuned with the SE tuner when I want?
By SE tuner I assume you are talking about Pro Super Tuner, not the Street tuner. If you hook up a computer you can load the file that is in the ECM now to the tuner and save it on the computer. Then any changed files can be saved in the same manner.

The Power Vision does have some advantages over the SE tuner, but if you already have the SE it seems hard to justify the PV. You can tinker with whatever map you want with either one.

So to answer your question, yes the PV will allow you to copy your current tune that is in the ECM and save it for future use. If the cost is no issue go for it.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
If you have the SE tuner then there is no need for any other tuner since the bike can be dyno tuned just fine with the SE tuner.
If you want to go with a tuner such as a Power Vision then there is no need to tune the bike with the SE tuner just use the PV tuner to do all the tuning.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
mechanicalman and ironmark thanks for answering my question! Just what I needed! Never know til you ask! Where I live I am very limited to indie mechanics! Dealership is what I have to deal with so far! You know it's hard to get an non biased answer from them! They quoted 11 hours labor to do TW-555 cams, Woods lifters, SE performance clutch, oil pump dyno times for 1100 that's just labor lol! Crazy money!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If they do a good job on the tune they're not that far off at 11 hours, somebody might be able to do it in 9 or 10, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
639 Posts
11 hours doesn't seem that bad to me. The price sucks though, but that's dealer labor rates. That's why I did my bars myself. Not that the labor was "outrageous" per normal dealer rates, but for a grand in labor I'll buy a service manual LOL

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes $100 bucks an hour at Bumpus HD in Memphis TN! I have several dealers within a 100 mile radius and Abernathy Harley Davidson in Union City TN has 1/2 off of labor cost for this month! They charge $70 an hour so with the discount is $35! Hooray for me lol!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes $100 bucks an hour at Bumpus HD in Memphis TN! I have several dealers within a 100 mile radius and Abernathy Harley Davidson in Union City TN has 1/2 off of labor cost for this month! They charge $70 an hour so with the discount is $35! Hooray for me lol!
WOW! 70 an hour is great for dealer rates. 35 is crazy low. For 35 an hour I'd almost pay someone else to do it. ALMOST . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts