Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 rg stock seat. not complaints as a long day for us is 250 miles.

1 seem has come apart. can that be re stitched or a complete cover has to be done ?

if a complete cover is required, anyone have the memory foam replaced also ?

obviously i will price out after the holidays, but i cant see buying a new one for a stitch coming apart if i dont have to.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
2011 rg stock seat. not complaints as a long day for us is 250 miles.

1 seem has come apart. can that be re stitched or a complete cover has to be done ?

if a complete cover is required, anyone have the memory foam replaced also ?

obviously i will price out after the holidays, but i cant see buying a new one for a stitch coming apart if i dont have to.
It can probably be restitched, but for not a whole lot more you can have the seat reworked into something really nice.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i took the seat to a reputable guy in the area.

he tells me he can fix the seam that came apart for 80 bucks.. ok not bad.

then he proceeds to tell me for 180.00 he can do a complete cover.he brings out the material and shows me the thickness difference. then shows me how the rest of the seems are going to separate also.

he said every harley seat he does has this same issue. because the material is so thin it eventually pulls away from the stitching.

i am curious if others have had the same problem ? once we settled on 150.00 to do a complete cover, he then very easily pulled apart the seem on the opposite side.
now my bike does sit in the sun all day when i ride it to work which is most days which probably doesnt help.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I have not had any issues with any stock Harley seat along those lines, but I will admit most of the stock seats I get I pulled them off the bike fairly soon after getting them. I have a Harley Davison sundowner seat that I’ve had now for about six or seven years and it’s a daily rider, and I have not had that problem at all.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sargent's in Jacksonville, FL will re foam and recover. They re-did a Corbin for me years ago and did a great job.

·
Registered
820 Posts
recovering is your best bet, also for when your at work, get you one of the half covers that covers your tank and seats, or as i did for yrs you can get a baby crib fitted sheet and put over mirrors and it stretches back to the rear seat and keeps the sun off. something we do regularly in texas summers to keep from blistering your butt on black pleather seats.

Reactions: CPY84

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have seen the seams come apart a couple times. Seems like a decent price on recovering the seat if
you find that the stock seat works well for you. It makes you feel good when you can get good service and can support a small local guy whenever possible. Keep us posted on how this worked out for you.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen the seams come apart a couple times. Seems like a decent price on recovering the seat if
you find that the stock seat works well for you. It makes you feel good when you can get good service and can support a small local guy whenever possible. Keep us posted on how this worked out for you.
stock seat is fine for us. 33k in 6 years so not a ton of riding as i only live 5 miles from work for the last 25 years but thats soon to change as the company is moving 20 more miles further.

the seat is supposed to be done today but with the brined roads here in jersey i have no idea when i will get out for a ride.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unwrapped this odd shaped present yesterday. yep. got the seat back. really looks good and included in the price,he actually replaced the memory foam to my surprise. he placed a small card with it and said the foam looked good,but with it being 6 years old he felt the foam should be replaced beings the cover will last a long time.

my son actually picked it up for me and paid the bill as i was not able to get there for the pick up. i thought i would pick it up this coming weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts