Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Me and a buddy are planning a trip over the week of the 4th of July. We will be leaving Seattle on Friday, and returning the following weekend. All we know so far is that we are heading toward yellostone and then working North to come back on the N. Cascade highway. This was initially going to have our ladies on the bikes with us and going to be a "hotel" type of ride. However, my lady is now carrying our first child so it is a final hoorah for the boys and will entail sleeping under the stars.

I am looking for some help from anyone who really knows the ride. We have the week off and want to make the most of it. Should we push to see as much as we can or use this week to stay around Yellowstone? Anyone have any mapped out rides they can suggest? Places to stop and camp would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for all your help.

Johnny

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just outside of Yellowstone, the east gate is a great little campground called " Newton" Have stayed there many times on previous rides while camping.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Help

The harley site has travel help and other that have made the trip

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Don't sacrifice "going to the sun" road through Glacier East to West.
The Cascade highway from Winthrop west is awesome as well then head back south on highway 9

Good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
Going to the sun road is a must! From there take HI 2 out of Kalispell through Bonners Ferry to Newport Wa. From there take HI 20 across the state. As you come off the N. Cascades Hiway go south on 530 thru Darrington to Arlington and your almost home!! I did that route last Sept. west to east starting in Tacoma. Can't wait to do it again!! Ride safe brother.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Last summer I went to Glacier National Park and did the ride Going to the Sun. All I know is when we were climbing the road we were on the side of the road that was on the outer side of the mountain. We got a better veiw then being on the inside of the road.:DNot sure witch way we were heading. After all I was just following 2 other buddys. It might be worth looking in to.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Instead of going through Bonners Ferry I prefer to go through Sandpoint and take Hwy 200 through Hope and Clark Fork it's a much nicer ride to me along the lake. I then go into Montana and hit Hwy 56 which will take you through the Cabinet Mts and by Bull lake and it will end up on Hwy 2 just south of Troy. I think it's a much more scenic route and doesn't cost any time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really appreciate the good info.. So far here is what we may do. This might be pushing it a little too much but this trip is really all about riding (not so much for exploring either NP too much).

Sat & Sun -- I90 all the way to E. Side entrance at Red Lodge.

Mon--- Beartooth pass down to Cody

Tues- Cody through the park to W. Yellowstone side and start working N.

Wed-- Would like to make it to Great Falls to enter Glacier from the E.

Thurs-- "Going to the Sun" from E to West.

Fri, Sat, Sun-- Make it back to Seattle via the N. Cascade.. (Agreed, Winthrop is a must)

This is essentially a figure eight but hey, there is no such thing as "out of the way" when you are in Gods country on Gods Bike!

This will really serve as just an outline for now and still totally open for suggestions on other routes. We may cut out some, or let each day lead the way. Thanks in advance for all the input and I will let everyone know my thoughts when its all done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Instead of going through Bonners Ferry I prefer to go through Sandpoint and take Hwy 200 through Hope and Clark Fork it's a much nicer ride to me along the lake. I then go into Montana and hit Hwy 56 which will take you through the Cabinet Mts and by Bull lake and it will end up on Hwy 2 just south of Troy. I think it's a much more scenic route and doesn't cost any time.
Perfect.. I just made that little switch on the map.. We will be heading West by this point returning to Seattle so turning South on 56 before Troy.. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks Marc. I'll use that tip myself next time!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Perfect.. I just made that little switch on the map.. We will be heading West by this point returning to Seattle so turning South on 56 before Troy.. Thanks for that!
I like the sites you are going to, all good stuff, the hard part is deciding on how much time you have to see it. Last summer I did most of that ride and loved it. Just wanted to add, Beartooth and ride to the sun were awesome. Stop and stretch your legs and really take a look, you miss a little at 60mph.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've made that trip a few times, and one week is about the minimum if you want to take your time. If you're going to take the North Cascades hiway on the way back try this route to get there;

Head east on I-90 to Vantage, and then take Hiway 26 east to colfax, then 195 south to Clarkston. From there take hiway 12 east over Lolo pass. You'll end up just south of Missoula in Montana. Head north on 93 to Kalispell, which is just outside of Glacier Nat Park. Ride through the park and over the Hiway To The Sun and out the east side of the park. From there you can take 83 south all the way to Yellowstone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We went from Sandpoint up to Bonners Ferry and across Hwy 2 through Libby & Troy. It was very scenic but I'd go with Hwy 200 as suggested by Marc. Bonners Ferry is a strange town, no offense if any members live there.

Also, not sure what route you're going north on after you come into West Yellowstone. If you go a little further west towards Ennis, MT you could head over to Virginia City, MT which is a cool little western town. Great ride to get up there. If you have any questions about West Yellowstone and some of that area, I'd be more than happy to help. I grew up a bit south of there so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts