Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my cam install while putting the adjustable pushrods in, one of the the O-ringa on the back cylinder intake tubes fell off. Of course, I didn’t see it and continued with the install.

Long story short, since originally the lifters were full of oil and the adjustment called for 18-22 flats (I set them to 20), then wait 10 minutes, now that the oil has bleed out, do I do anything different the second time I adjust them?

My thinking is no. Set them for zero lash with my fingers, then adjust them 18-22 flats (Again, 20) and wait until they spin freely again, which could be right away, before moving on. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I could kick myself...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Exactly what you said. Get the lifter on the base of the cam, adjust the pushrod with your fingers to zero shake point, then turn it 20 flats and drink a beer... if it spins good to go, if not, another beer... ;-)

Hope you found it before you covered the bike with oil...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rageglide. Yeah, I found it when I finished the front cyclinder and was putting the tubes in place on the rear. I'll never make that mistake again. Probably some other mistake, but not that one.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks rageglide. Yeah, I found it when I finished the front cyclinder and was putting the tubes in place on the rear. I'll never make that mistake again. Probably some other mistake, but not that one.
We all make mistakes, you got lucky. In fact it probably didn't get pumped up much at all. Most important thing is not spinning the motor over when the pushrod can't spin, might get lucky, but might be like a buddy of mine who bent valves on both heads ...

·
Registered
520 Posts
i once put a cam in upside down and readjusted the pushrods twice before i noticed that air was coming OUT the carb... that didnt seem right.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts