Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to take a road trip to the HD museum and wondering what are the best ways to secure your bike from being jacked?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
gman, I use a Roadlok front rotor lock and have very good insurance.
The Roadlok works great but if 4 big guys with pipes and a truck want Your Sled they're just gonna put the pipes under the frame pick it up and put it in the truck or van and go.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I picked up a HD front disk lock from the auction site for about 1/2 the price from a HD store.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
This is probably one of my bigger concerns out on the road. Camping took the worry away. I sleep next to the bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ive used a disk lock in the past, with the crazy bright lanyard to the handle bar.. I forget things. I haven't used it in years though. Just use the full replacement value insurance policy now.

·
Registered
970 Posts
gman, I use a Roadlok front rotor lock and have very good insurance.
The Roadlok works great but if 4 big guys with pipes and a truck want Your Sled they're just gonna put the pipes under the frame pick it up and put it in the truck or van and go.
Mike U.
I fully agree about your comments regarding "4-big guys", however there are still some additional precautions that can improve the odds. It is kinda like burglar proofing your house. You can't make your house completely burglar proof. The goal though is to make your house more difficult to burglarize than your neighbors, so they pick someplace else. Same thing for your bike.

I looked into protecting your bike after the well documented thefts at Daytona Beach. I read some articles written by reformed (or caught) bike thieves. One common comment is to use your fork lock in addition to a good disc brake lock with motion detection/siren. Research your disc brake lock before you buy! Some are easily picked.

Where you park your ride is important also. If you are out and about, park your bike where it would be difficult for it to be picked up and put on a truck or trailer. Parking in a well lit area with a camera may be helpful.

A big challenge is parking your bike overnight at a hotel/motel. I am a geek, so I also check the crime rates in the areas of the motels I stay at. In some cities the crime rates are much higher in one area versus another just a few miles away. Sometimes it is not worth saving a few bucks on the hotel. Where you park in the lot helps again. Park by the front lobby if possible where there is more traffic to discourage the thieves.

I sometimes carry a heavy chain and lock that can't typically be cut with bolt cutters. Battery powered drills with metal grinders attached can cut through the chain or lock, but this takes a few minutes with a hardened chain (there are demonstrations on YouTube). The chain and lock weigh 20-lbs, so this is a consideration also. The challenge is what do you lock your bike on? Can that be cut? If you are traveling with someone, you can lock your bikes together.

My brother bought a wireless motion detector that sends a signal to a FOB. The question I have is do you want to run out to the parking lot with these 4-big guys, just to bring them your FOB and keys :crying:??

The real protection as previously mentioned is insurance. It is just I hate to ride a long distance only to have my bike stolen. That would be a major "buzz-kill" at a rally or bike week.

Best Motorcycle Security Chains Review 2019

• Kryptonite New York Legend Chain
• Kryptonite New York “Fahgettaboudit” Chain
• OnGuard 8016(L) Beast Chain
• Kryptonite New York Chain
• Abus GRANIT Extreme Plus 59

Lock Example:

Other options:

Gorilla Cycle Alarms - Quality Motorcycle Alarms

Stolen bike(s):

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
^^ Thanks for the legwork, @woverby. Watched all those, good stuff. Them Colorado Springs nerds sure are S M R T !!

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
970 Posts
I picked up a HD front disk lock from the auction site for about 1/2 the price from a HD store.
I now double check that I have connected the brightly covered cable from the lock to my handlebars to remind people to remove the disc lock. I was at my parents one weekend and had a few beers with my Dad watching a football game. When I was leaving, my Mom asked, "are you good to ride?" to which I replied "sure!" I hopped on my bike with the disc lock on and tried to ride home. I then had to pick myself and my bike off of the street with my Mom watching and shaking her head. Yep, that was a PROUD family moment!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I deter the crime of opportunity and have insurance for the pro thieves.

A walmart bland bike cover helps.

Nowadays I have my enclosed trailer with me so it gets parked in there. I park it at the back of the trailer with the handlebars locked. If someone steals the truck and trailer the first thing that will happen is the bike will fall over. Then because the bike is in the back of the trailer there is no tongue weight so the trailer will start fishtailing and hopefully cause them to crash. I don't mind the stuff getting stolen, just don't want them to get away with it.

Another possibility is to remove the bags and seat at night and put them in your room. Make it look like it has already been picked.

Put an orange sticker on it like what the LEOs do on abandoned vehicles.

Or just have an alert system installed and come out guns blazing!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I deter the crime of opportunity and have insurance for the pro thieves.

A walmart bland bike cover helps.

Nowadays I have my enclosed trailer with me so it gets parked in there. I park it at the back of the trailer with the handlebars locked. If someone steals the truck and trailer the first thing that will happen is the bike will fall over. Then because the bike is in the back of the trailer there is no tongue weight so the trailer will start fishtailing and hopefully cause them to crash. I don't mind the stuff getting stolen, just don't want them to get away with it.

Another possibility is to remove the bags and seat at night and put them in your room. Make it look like it has already been picked.

Put an orange sticker on it like what the LEOs do on abandoned vehicles.

Or just have an alert system installed and come out guns blazing!
I've only trailered my bike once. My excuse was my son was on a FZ6 Yamaha 600cc sport bike and we were riding 2K miles to Daytona and had little vacation time from work. We had a stop-over in a city I would call "dicey" i.e. high crime rate. I bought a wheel lock for the trailer in addition to a trailer hitch lock and a heavy chain and lock between the bikes. I also had the trailer ball welded to the hitch so it could not be removed. Everything went well, and I probably wasted the money on locks and heavy duty chain. That said, I slept better.

Here is an example of a "wheel lock" https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Locks/Rackem/RA-25.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhJrqBRDZARIsALhp1WT4ffGUHZe0ut56ZshtVrmOqyLONeEPf9TZyVIIGjndRyIqxaTr8vkaAgHAEALw_wcB . I actually question the value of these locks for professional thieves. I think a crow bar can quickly take care of the lock. This is to protect against the opportunistic amateurs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
1) The factory alarm siren will help with any movement of the bike.
2) You can get some sort of tracking device and hide it on the bike somewhere.
3) Wheel lock, brake lock, or run a cable from the front wheel to the back wheel.
4) Generic bike cover.
5) Simple things like actually locking the handlebars goes a long way.
6) Good insurance because the above is for the "Honest thief". A pro will get your bike if they want it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My 11 has the audible alarm on it. And I have the pager set up, so it jerks my chain if I not within range of the racket.

For some visible deterrence, I just use a big Master Magnum pad lock. It locks around a rotor spoke with ease, Is prolly just as angle grinder resistant as the $100 locks, but only cost $8. I just dipped the hasp in plasti-dip, and tied a length of red line to it for a lanyard.

Have not done anything with the 18 yet, but will prolly do the same with it.

I have been told that if you stick your spot tracker to the under side of a bag lid, that it will keep tracking. I have not tried that yet.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Getting ready to take a road trip to the HD museum and wondering what are the best ways to secure your bike from being jacked?
How do you do it everyday just park . They don't really steal that many Harley's anymore and if they really want it nothing you do would stop them relax enjoy the trip The museum has generally safe parking. The only way you have problems in that area is if your are buying drugs or looking for hookers.
Enjoy your trip. Take your time in there so much to take in.

·
Registered
970 Posts
1) The factory alarm siren will help with any movement of the bike.
2) You can get some sort of tracking device and hide it on the bike somewhere.
3) Wheel lock, brake lock, or run a cable from the front wheel to the back wheel.
4) Generic bike cover.
5) Simple things like actually locking the handlebars goes a long way.
6) Good insurance because the above is for the "Honest thief". A pro will get your bike if they want it.
"BBB" you make a great point about the factory alarm. Unfortunately, a high percentage of bike owners do not invest in the relatively cheap siren. What happens is someone is pushing a bike down the street or moving on to a trailer/truck with the 4-way blinkers flashing. People assume the owner just put on the lights for safety.

·
Registered
970 Posts
How do you do it everyday just park . They don't really steal that many Harley's anymore and if they really want it nothing you do would stop them relax enjoy the trip The museum has generally safe parking. The only way you have problems in that area is if your are buying drugs or looking for hookers.
Enjoy your trip. Take your time in there so much to take in.
Soooo, no more drugs or hookers at rallies >:)? Why bother with the rally, just stay home and go to daily Mass? JUST KIDDING!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Been to the Harley Museum already 2x's once this year and once last year along the way to Shark Week. The museum is extremely safe to be at and park your bike.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts