Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Ultra, lost my key. The spare key battery was dead, so I changed that. Bike would not start. Entered the Harley code: 31313. No dice. Of course can't find my code or remember it. Dealer said they would have to come and pick up bike next week. I will spend the time RE-looking for the key. Any suggestions guys. I can't be the first a hole. The brain is a terrible thing to wast.
P.S. Found the code since first post. But it is only 4 numbers and bike calls for 5!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
2012 Ultra, lost my key. The spare key battery was dead, so I changed that. Bike would not start. Entered the Harley code: 31313. No dice. Of course can't find my code or remember it. Dealer said they would have to come and pick up bike next week. I will spend the time RE-looking for the key. Any suggestions guys. I can't be the first a hole. The brain is a terrible thing to wast.
P.S. Found the code since first post. But it is only 4 numbers and bike calls for 5!!
Did you ask the dealer if they set the code on the bikes they sell? Some dealers change the factory default to their own. My son's default code was all "1s".

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
then you didn't find the code.

did you double check that the battery is installed correctly in your spare fob? this is a very common error made when changing the button batteries. even if your bike won't start, if it is recognizing the fob, you should be able to pull up your existing pin code.

try the last 5 of the vin, that's what my dealer uses when they set the default.

after this gets taken care of, set the code to something that you can remember (last 5 of ssn, etc) so that you don't go through this again. and, it wouldn't hurt to actually practice the procedure. better to go through it in your own garage than out on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If perhaps the four digits are a correct part of the code, try the four digit number then 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (nine tries) and also 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 + the four digit code (another 9 tries). Worth a try in desperate times!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is in correct, checked twice. Tried the vin. Talked to dealer and tried the numbers he sets them too but I must have but my own numbers in and did not write them down. Yea I know and your right. I will keep trying, thanks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
2 stray & most likely bad ideas .......
- parked near some funky radio interferences?
- sure you got right fob (not from another previous bike)?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Are you sure it's a security system problem? When you say it "wont start" is it turning over and wont start or are the lights coming on and it doesn't make a sound when you it the start button?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the lights come on but that's it. It is a security system problem. I tried it so many times that I disconnected the siren that I installed.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The battery is in correct, checked twice. Tried the vin. Talked to dealer and tried the numbers he sets them too but I must have but my own numbers in and did not write them down. Yea I know and your right. I will keep trying, thanks.
Try a different battery?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Maybe unhook your bike battery for a while to see if it resets, then hook the battery back up and try the code reset to see if it will work after that. Just guessing at this point.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Guys, Thanks for all your help. I got help from the other forum (Touring Models forum) who along with Dragon Dude above. The answer was to disconnect the main fuse for a couple of hours then but back in for a reset. I did this along with the spare fob on the seat of the bike and bingo. It worked. I also leaned from the other site that the code is in the bike and not in the fob. That also helped. Now I can reset a code and WRITE it down where I can get to it. It saved me from having MOCO pick up the bike on Tuesday so that they could do the same for plenty of dollars. FYI, I did have the owners on the phone Saturday afternoon and explained the problem, none suggested I do what did fix the problem. They were nice and gave some numbers to try but not what worked other then they would come get the bike. Again a big THANK YOU! Peace Out guys

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Now write down your new code LOL Glad your back riding

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,322 Posts
I've lost a few things during my many years on this earth. Lost a couple of dogs, lost a $180. fly rod, even lost a wife, but I can't imagine losing a bike key w/ fob! Hard to believe. Ain't that right BobRG15?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,322 Posts
The above was tongue-in-cheek as I haven't been able to locate my bike keys for 2 weeks now. We had gone away for a few days and didn't want to just leave the keys sitting on my dresser, so ...... you guessed it ... I hid them and now can't remember WHERE I hid them! Dumbfuck, dumbfuck, dumbfuck.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. I had an issue where the bike actually forgot my spare FOB and therefore making it useless. The main FOB continued to work but no dice with the spare FOB. Tried it with 3 different batteries and still nothing. Took it to the dealership and they hooked it up to DT and the spare FOB wasn't listed so they reconnected it for free. Took the guy 5mins and I was on my way. About the statement that "the code is on the bike"; Your personal code is on the bike and has nothing to do with either FOB but each FOB has its own set of numbers that is 24 digits long that is programmed into the BCM. If you open up the FOB like you are changing the battery you should see a little sticker that has 6 sets of 4 numbers. That is the FOB's specific code that they can either type into DT or they can scan the bar code if you still have it with your keys. Anyway, sorry for the long post you didn't ask for but I thought I would pass the info along in case anyone was curious how it worked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts