Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Road Glide Ultra.
The Security light blinks when the bike is just sitting there. When I move the bike without the FOB in my pocket the turn signals light up and flash. When I bring the fob and start the bike up, the security light comes on a few seconds after the bike starts and stays on. I turned the bike off and started it up again, same thing, the light stays on.
The shop manual says to take it to the dealer.
Is there anything I can do to fix this without having to turn it over to the dealer for a few weeks?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The flashing while it's not running is normal, I think. So is the flashers going off when yo move it without the fob. That's the "alarm", showing the the bike ignition is immobilized. You need to buy a separate audible alarm unit or see the sticky in the DIY section about installing a siren from radio shack.

Not sure about the security light staying on when you start the bike. I'll have to check to see what mine does.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mine doesn't have security, but just a thought, is the light staying on to show you that the bike was messed with & the security system went off?

Lil Chief

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Mine did this a few weeks back. I can't remember what the reset is, but I think that is what it is. I rode it about 30 miles and then shut it off. Next time I started it, it was gone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe related; The red "key" icon on my left gauge (spedo) was on all the time... I found that I had pinched a wire near the turn signal when re-installing the faring. Soldered it back real good and no more light on.

Sounds like your FOB and blinkers are working correctly... Good Luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine doesn't have security, but just a thought, is the light staying on to show you that the bike was messed with & the security system went off?

Lil Chief
I think a security system is standard in all of the RGs from at least 2006 forward. They may not have the audible alarm system though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started the bike up today and rode it. The security light went out during start up and stayed off. When I parked the bike, the light began its slow blinking pattern.
I guess that's what the dealer would have done, kept my bike in que for a few weeks, started it up and found the light not staying lit, check it off as repaired and charged me at least one hour shop time.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Glad it worked itself out. I was referring to mine not having the fob security set up. My 02 FLHT had the old style security system with the push button fob to arm/disarm it. I think I used it a half dozen times in the 13 years I owned it.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I think a security system is standard in all of the RGs from at least 2006 forward. They may not have the audible alarm system though.
no, its an option. the proximity fob security first became available in 2007, and is still an option today. some models come standard with it, (like the rg special) while the road glide standard its an extra $395.

even though your light went off, check your trouble codes. you could have a historic one stored, and after so many ignition cycles has not reappeared. if you have a power vision, or know someone with a power vision, you can pull codes very quickly and easily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the security light stays on it could be a headlight bulb blown . Have had a Fld do this twice and high beam gone both times.

Cheers John

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
The flashing while it's not running is normal, I think. So is the flashers going off when yo move it without the fob. That's the "alarm", showing the the bike ignition is immobilized. You need to buy a separate audible alarm unit or see the sticky in the DIY section about installing a siren from radio shack.

Not sure about the security light staying on when you start the bike. I'll have to check to see what mine does.
Here is the link you should checkout.

http://www.roadglide.org/29-do-yourself/251-add-siren-your-factory-security-$6.html

I did this very simple mod and it has worked perfect for almost 44,000 miles.
I installed two units and it is very loud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts