Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the 2004 Road Glide I just bought has the Steering Lock not functioning ( I can straighten the handlebars). I got a quote from the local Stealership for a Factory Security System for $322.00. Does this seem right? Are there other solutions?

Not a new Biker, just a new Harley owner.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Are you sure your not just doing it wrong?

Steering to the left, push the ignition switch down, and lock the ignition, while holding the switch down.

$322 from a dealer doesn't sound out of line, if that includes installation. The parts alone list for $299

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Seems the 2004 Road Glide I just bought has the Steering Lock not functioning ( I can straighten the handlebars). I got a quote from the local Stealership for a Factory Security System for $322.00. Does this seem right? Are there other solutions?

Not a new Biker, just a new Harley owner.
Are you talking about the handle bar lock or the actual security system that shuts the bike down? If it's the latter , leave it be and buy a couple rotor locks.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Did you push em All the way left in lock position then key? Push left again may never have been used much, rock it.
that sounds right price, or disc lock if you don't mind showing butt Crack :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think I got it right...I turn the bike off, turn the handlebars to the Left, push down the switch, turn it to the left then insert key and with it to lock. I will try again when I get home, if what you're saying is the switch must be "pushed down" while I'm locking it.

Yes I saw on the Harley site that it is $299.00, I believe the $322.50 is the installed price. Just was shocked. Seems everything I want to add (DayMakers, etc.) is some serious coin. It's a 2004 so I'd like to do some of the work myself to save some $$$.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Well I think I got it right...I turn the bike off, turn the handlebars to the Left, push down the switch, turn it to the left then insert key and with it to lock. I will try again when I get home, if what you're saying is the switch must be "pushed down" while I'm locking it.

Yes I saw on the Harley site that it is $299.00, I believe the $322.50 is the installed price. Just was shocked. Seems everything I want to add (DayMakers, etc.) is some serious coin. It's a 2004 so I'd like to do some of the work myself to save some $$$.
You don't necessarily have to have the handle bars turned all the way left to lock the ignition. Once the ignition is locked though, if you then turn the handle bars all the way left, the handle bars will lock in place.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The security system has nothing to do with the steering lock function. The security system (if you have one installed) will arm when the ignition is turned off and it doesn't matter if the ignition or steering is locked or not.
As mentioned make sure you are using the right procedure to lock the steering, the ignition switch should be turned to the lock position which means that the wide part of the ignition switch is all the way to the right side of the bike, then push the ignition down and turn the key to lock the switch.
The switch can be locked without the steering being locked so to lock the steering the front wheel has to be in a full left turn position.
If the steering still doesn't lock then the lock may be broken and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input...I will try to see if I am doing something wrong or if it is indeed broken. I it's broken I will get a quote on the fix at the Dealer. If it's expensive I will by the security system and have that installed. You Guys Rock! I had a Suzuki Intruder VL1500 for 9 years, was on a forum for that make/model and they always were quick to offer advice and they saved me tons of cash. It looks like this forum is my new base for all questions Road Glide, thanks again.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Hey RRH, your bike will also start in gear plus no side stand switch. You can check for the security box under the side cover, me thinks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts