Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this same thread on the HD Forum, but really wanted to hear from my Road Glide brothers too. :D

While picking up a few accessories at my local HD dealer, I told the parts guy that my next upgrade for my Road Glide Custom was some speakers and an amp. I stated that I heard that the J&M's (with amp) were pretty descent, but wanted his opinion on other options. He rated the amplified J&M kit a Good, but not Great. He felt pretty strongly that the amplified Hog Tunes Kit ($379.95) was a much better way to go, and that it was actually about $100-$150 cheaper than the J&M kit.

http://www.hogtunes.com/bikes/bikes/shopping/06-11_RG.html

For those who have the Hog Tunes Kit (with amplifier) I'd really like to hear your review of it. I want to keep my factory deck, and will only upgrade to an amplified kit 2-speaker kit, so I'm not interested in any feedback on non-amplified kits. Thanks.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 5x7's with the amp and it is a definite improvement. Guess I was hoping for a little more. Might be expecting to much for a motorcycle with loud exhaust and wind noise.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i too am going to eventually upgrade the sound system. after everything i have read i will go with the j&m set up. if you can wait a little while longer j&m has a new 500 watt system coming out call the rokker. supposed to be the chit. anything else i would say to just save your money and go with the hd boom set up. from what i have read the boom stuff is about the next best thing. i am pretty sure there is an amplified boom system you can get from hd too. although just about anything is better than the stock stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed the 5x7 and amp hog tunes,they sound great clear at volume with plenty of bass.There is a big difference from stock and you can get this kit on ebay from hensley custom paint for 275.00 free shipping.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My hog tunes amp and speakers are a couple of years old, so far so good. Quite clear at normal highway speeds with no distortion.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I haven't tried either. The parts guy at the dealership near me told me that the hogtunes is an improvement, but can be very tinny at medium to high volume. I am with alot of people here, I am ordering the J&M setup. A little more out of the pocket, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting comments on the J&M. My HD parts guy sells both, and said that he sent back his set of amped J&M's for the Hogtunes. I'm really just looking for a "noticeable" improvement over the stock set up, which gets a little hard to hear above 45 mph. I don't need Car Show Quality sound.

I'm not gonna pull the trigger until next month, but since the price is right ($289 shipped on Ebay) on the Hogtunes, and the reviews are not terrible, I'm leaning that way.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the Hogtunes amp, speakers and tweeter pods and they suck. These are so far the only mod I've done that I am extremely disappointed in. Save your money and go with HawgWired or J&M or anything but the Hogtunes. Don't let the low price fool ya, you get what you pay for here. If after all the advice, you do go with Hogtunes, don't buy on eBay. The only halfway decent thing about Hogtunes (Other than price) is their customer service and they won't stand behind eBay purchased items.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I "upgraded" with the Hogtunes amp, speakers, and rear speaker pods, and believe I could have found better ways to spend my money.

First, I would have skipped the rear speaker pods. I feel they're next to worthless, but I was going for the "Ultra" look.

Second, 5-1/4" speakers are still 5-1/4" speakers, and they will only move so much air. I feel I would have been better served going to 6-1/2" Titans.

Third, a 24 watt/side amp just doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I should have gone with something like the Arc amp.

Don't get me wrong, the Hogtunes system I installed is better than stock, but not dramatically better. It's just "okay". Definitely a "get what ya pay for" situation.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Hogtunes amp, speakers and tweeter pods and they suck. These are so far the only mod I've done that I am extremely disappointed in. Save your money and go with HawgWired or J&M or anything but the Hogtunes. Don't let the low price fool ya, you get what you pay for here. If after all the advice, you do go with Hogtunes, don't buy on eBay. The only halfway decent thing about Hogtunes (Other than price) is their customer service and they won't stand behind eBay purchased items.
I'm not familiar with HawgWired. Tell me more?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Second, 5-1/4" speakers are still 5-1/4" speakers, and they will only move so much air. I feel I would have been better served going to 6-1/2" Titans.
I think they are 5x7's now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know anything first hand about Hawg Wired, but I've seen allot of good reviews and even some good stuff on here about 'em. I do know Paul Yaffe has a couple high dollar setups and he uses their amps. Anyway, here's a link to their site http://www.hawg-wired.com/

·
Registered
828 Posts
bummer, i hope for my sake that you all are wrong. UPS just dropped off Hogtunes 5X7 and amp. AND, to top that, i bought from ebay.....hmmm :confused:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I'm not familiar with HawgWired. Tell me more?
Only thing to tell u is u wont b sorry!
I've had the DbleSht. Pkge. for 2 years now and I upgraded the Speakers to 6.5" last year.

Call them and ask them to compare to the J&M, they can tell ya x-act Specifications on how much cleaner there set up is, sound wise, as in output wattage, 2ohm vs. 4 ohm, and vise versa.

I've heard Hog Tunes its an Improvement over stock.
I've heard J&M 7.25 speakers and it took four of them to b louder than my 2 w/an amp.
Hawg-Wired is cumin out w/new stuff any day.The SIX PACK SYSTEM aint gonna b cheap, as in price by no means. But its like everybody is sayn "Ya get what ya pay for"

The six pack system is gonna b a "Nice" set-up. Remember its "New" and its not even on there web-site "Yet!",...but should b in a week or two. Also remember to hit Drago's up for a $,...he says he cant b beat!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had the Hogtunes amp and round speakers for a year and half. If you want an improvement over stock and not break the bank then you will be satisfied. I just installed J&M 7.25s without an amp on my wife's SG and the clarity and volume are nearly the same as my Hog tunes with amp. Actually the volume is the same and the Hog tunes have a richer fuller sound...but they do have the amp. You can get J&M speakers around $220 which is less than the Hog tunes combo and you will notice an improvement. No doubt in my mind that J&M speakers with the 250w amp should really impress...but will cost a lot more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts