Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came from super sports and Victory bikes. I do quite a bit of engine braking and the Victory, engine braking hit like my exhaust brake on my truck at any rpm.

On my 15 RGS it seems like I have weak engine braking when the rpm are below 2600-2800rpm. I searched but all but 2 threads returned break in questions.

Is this normal? Is it due to the factory cams, gearing?

I'm asking more out of curiosity than concern

Before changing the exhaust to power duals (same cans) the engine braking performance was about the same.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I find that Harleys require more downshifting to engine brake. Seems like on a metric, I can drop 1 gear and get the same results as dropping 2 gears on a Harley.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have a Yamaha 1700cc Warrior 5 speed. Engine braking on it is great and my RGC is a 6 speed and engine braking is not as good. I believe it's because of the wider spacing between gears on the 5 speed. The Road Glide has shorter spacing between the gears because of the extra gear. So the rpm difference is not as drastic on the 6 speed as it is on the 5 speed, so down shifting on the 5 speed 1 gear is almost like dropping 2 gears on the Glide. Just an opinion, i could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I would say my Road Glide has the right amount of engine braking.

I have had bikes that will ram your nuts into the tank if you are not ready for it.

I have had bikes with slipper clutches to alleviate that problem.

I think the new trikes might have slipper clutches and traction control.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I guess it's just something I'll have to live with. I don't really want to meet with the gearing to get better mechanical advantage as I feel it's best for all around riding stock. Honestly impressed with this bike after swearing I would never own a Harley. Much easier to work on, more comfortable, etc etc. They did it right (not without some nit-picky stuff, like the oil filter).

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have about the same amount of engine braking on my 2017 RGU as I do our 2012 Goldwing GL1800 Trike. I use the engine as a brake especially in mountains or windy roads.
Bill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You want engine braking below 3000 rpm, just hit the kill switch with your thumb.
That literally does nothing since there is no fuel/spark when off throttle already...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
That literally does nothing since there is no fuel/spark when off throttle already...

Say what???? You want to rethink this or just have me tear into you?

I'll just lay it out. On a stock scooter there is spark, as long as the switches are on and the motor is turning over. Coasting with the throttle closed, fuel is at idle. Unless the scooter is pushing the motor, which causes it to go into deceleration enrichment.

You get away from oem, and there are all sorts of things that may have been done to decel fuel. Usually adding a bunch to stop the pop.

Hitting the kill switch stops the engine from running. No Spark, no fuel. It then resists turning over. The slower the speed, lower the gear, the more it resists.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Probably the weight. These bikes are heavy.
Yeah but I noticed a huge difference between my buddy's victory Vegas and an 06 dyna super glide I used to have. At about 40 or 50 mph If you took your hand of the throttle of his victory the bike would just about slide you forward on the seat. My super glide not so much. And they were fairly close in weight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
With the HO engine off gas deceleration is phenomenal. I use moderate downshifting on occasion sometimes none. Yeah the brake system is that awesome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Say what???? You want to rethink this or just have me tear into you?

I'll just lay it out. On a stock scooter there is spark, as long as the switches are on and the motor is turning over. Coasting with the throttle closed, fuel is at idle. Unless the scooter is pushing the motor, which causes it to go into deceleration enrichment.

You get away from oem, and there are all sorts of things that may have been done to decel fuel. Usually adding a bunch to stop the pop.

Hitting the kill switch stops the engine from running. No Spark, no fuel. It then resists turning over. The slower the speed, lower the gear, the more it resists.
I tuned the bike myself. Runs fantastic, never had good engine braking IMO even when it was stock. I humored you, and hit the kill switch to see if there was a difference. There is no difference since I already have decel fuel essentially turned off. FYI the Vics use almost exactly the same delphi fuel system.

Yeah but I noticed a huge difference between my buddy's victory Vegas and an 06 dyna super glide I used to have. At about 40 or 50 mph If you took your hand of the throttle of his victory the bike would just about slide you forward on the seat. My super glide not so much. And they were fairly close in weight.
That was my experience between my old Vic and buddies 16 Dyna. Same thing. Vic was about 100 lbs heavier. His Dyna never had the engine braking punch that the Vic had.

With the HO engine off gas deceleration is phenomenal. I use moderate downshifting on occasion sometimes none. Yeah the brake system is that awesome.
My opinion is different. I have to get into the 4k rpm range with no throttle to get any engine braking like I would expect. I use engine braking a lot, since most of the time on the state highways there is more than enough room to judge speed even for the more dramatic corners. Let off the throttle a little, drop speed, then roll on through. When coming to a stop I use engine braking out of habit and its underwhelming usually, even after 6 months of riding this bike.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I tuned the bike myself. Runs fantastic, never had good engine braking IMO even when it was stock. I humored you, and hit the kill switch to see if there was a difference. There is no difference since I already have decel fuel essentially turned off. FYI the Vics use almost exactly the same delphi fuel system.

What you said was fuel and spark being shut off.

Spark is never turned off unless you hit the kill switch.

And now you are telling us that you tuned it yourself. You might have mentioned that to begin with.

I came from super sports and Victory bikes. I do quite a bit of engine braking and the Victory, engine braking hit like my exhaust brake on my truck at any rpm.

On my 15 RGS it seems like I have weak engine braking when the rpm are below 2600-2800rpm. I searched but all but 2 threads returned break in questions.

Is this normal? Is it due to the factory cams, gearing?

I'm asking more out of curiosity than concern

Before changing the exhaust to power duals (same cans) the engine braking performance was about the same.
Now, if I understand correctly, you are saying that with the scooter rolling along at 2800 rpm, hitting the kill switch makes no difference? If that's true, you had better have another look at that tune you put on it.

A Harley V Twin has enough engine breaking to drag the rear tire on a down shift. Fact is it will break parts if you do it hard too often. But with that said, don't expect it to toss you over the bars, just because you chopped the throttle from an easy cruise setting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No hitting the kill switch while off throttle at 2800 rpm yields no change. My buddies thundermax ultra has the same behavior.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts