Road Glide banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to all of our great Members here on the Road Glide forum. It was notified to us from VerticalScope that they have seen an increase of scammers that have been buying a Premium Memberships on various VS forums to gain immediate access to sending a Message to other Members. More so with the Holiday Season upon us; them paying a $20 membership is worth it to scam people of expensive Harley parts. * None have been identified here on RG at this time and we will keep an eye on all new Members buying Premium Memberships.

As always - please use some diligence and common sense with any new Member when you are considering selling or buying items online. Ask for more photos with specific info in the pic (their name and date) for example. Buyer beware.

If anything sends up a red flag, please notify any of the Moderators to review the actions; we want everyone to be safe and use the Marketplace with success.

Cheers and let those winter mods commence!

The Mod Squad

· Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
2,053 Posts
Damn you guys know exactly how many parts I bought off this forum, a majority of the parts on my bike come from this forum. I guess I'm now going to have to ask permission from one of the elders, before I make a purchase🙄🙄

· Administrator
13,743 Posts
Damn you guys know exactly how many parts I bought off this forum, a majority of the parts on my bike come from this forum. I guess I'm now going to have to ask permission from one of the elders, before I make a purchase🙄🙄
Jeez you rat on yer self just as we were getting a good case built on ewe .. All that werk for nuttin' ..

JtB

· Administrator
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not make it into an opportunity and raise the premium price to $40 for the holidays and the scammer accounts could pay for a round of drinks at sharkweek then 🤷‍♂️
They may pay that $40 to take your $1000. Paying for Premium used to keep them away, but they are finding better ways to take your money.

· Registered
22 RoadGlide
13 Posts
And it’s not just parts or payment scams either anymore but the best way to stop them would be to not have people fall for these scams.

I’m not sure it’s a common sense thing from what I’ve seen, more a diligence thing about thinking before you click or enter that password as everyone I’ve debriefed has always felt dumb after and they know it was a scam looking back but they were too busy or tired or urgent and just operated on autopilot…

· Premium Member
2021 Road Glide Special
586 Posts
I been messing with online forums for 10 years. Best thing to keep in mind is you are under no obligation to sell to the first guy that comes along. Or the 2nd.

I’m an admin at an online forum with a decently busy BST (Buy Sell Trade) forum. We implemented a rule that requires members to put a handwritten note with their username and date in the photos of items they are selling or trading. Also PayPal Goods & Services is the only method of payment members can use as that offers buyer protection. Of course that doesn’t stop folks from negotiating via private message. But it does seem to help with the scammers. We haven’t had one a long time.

You also have to be a member for 45 days with 50 “quality” posts before you are allowed access to post in the sales forum. And we require 10 posts before you can use the private message system. That alone has stopped the majority of scammers.

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Also PayPal Goods & Services is the only method of payment members can use as that offers buyer protection.

You also have to be a member for 45 days with 50 “quality” posts before you are allowed access to post in the sales forum. And we require 10 posts before you can use the private message system. That alone has stopped the majority of scammers.
Both are excellent ideas. Would be great if those requirements could be implemented here.

· Premium Member
2021 Road Glide Special
586 Posts
Both are excellent ideas. Would be great if those requirements could be implemented here.
If this place is anything like the forum I Mod on the Buy Sell Trade forum is by far the most time consuming moderation burden on the site. So anything to help alleviate that is a win. But TBH, these rules probably take more moderation. BUT, they protect the members infinitely more so than just having it as the wild Wild West. IMO it’s better to moderate a few posts that don’t meet the guidelines rather than deal with one scammer screwing over a trusted member.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
I guess I will put that 131 on hold....... Hakeem said he was giving me a good deal at $2000...... he even had road glide handle........"takinyershit" he's got to be legit
He told me it was $3200 knock yourself out it’s yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
13,743 Posts
I been messing with online forums for 10 years. Best thing to keep in mind is you are under no obligation to sell to the first guy that comes along. Or the 2nd.

I’m an admin at an online forum with a decently busy BST (Buy Sell Trade) forum. We implemented a rule that requires members to put a handwritten note with their username and date in the photos of items they are selling or trading. Also PayPal Goods & Services is the only method of payment members can use as that offers buyer protection. Of course that doesn’t stop folks from negotiating via private message. But it does seem to help with the scammers. We haven’t had one a long time.

All great ideas , and we can implement them if needed , we already have a rule for paypal that says no sales using the gift option as the buyer has no recourse and we have a rule that says the photo must be of your item , not a catalog link ..

I can only recall one active member who scammed some guys and he was banned and apologized , but I don't recall anyone getting their money back ..

Thanks

JtB

· Premium Member
2021 Road Glide Special
586 Posts
All great ideas , and we can implement them if needed , we already have a rule for paypal that says no sales using the gift option as the buyer has no recourse and we have a rule that says the photo must be of your item , not a catalog link ..

I can only recall one active member who scammed some guys and he was banned and apologized , but I don't recall anyone getting their money back ..

Thanks

JtB
At the other place I spend most my time the Buy Sell Trade forum is the 2nd most viewed page on the website (Homepage being the 1st). Obviously i don’t know what it’s like here. I haven’t used the sell/trade area here and only see the posts from it that show up in the New Posts list. So I’m not invested one way or another. Just trying to provide some perspective and ideas that may help. Sometimes folks don’t know what it takes behind the scenes to keep the place running and keep the members safe.

Cheers!

· Administrator
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At the other place I spend most my time the Buy Sell Trade forum is the 2nd most viewed page on the website (Homepage being the 1st). Obviously i don’t know what it’s like here. I haven’t used the sell/trade area here and only see the posts from it that show up in the New Posts list. So I’m not invested one way or another. Just trying to provide some perspective and ideas that may help. Sometimes folks don’t know what it takes behind the scenes to keep the place running and keep the members safe.

Cheers!
The measures implemented thus far have been doing a good job for thwarting scammers; plus we perform a manual daily purge of initial suspicious sign-ups. Dilligence is always needed from our Members.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts