Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So first of all I’m not spending $600 plus install on a WHIM and HD 20s evo setup.

I’m debating on adding a wired mic and earbuds to my helmet along with adapter to the stock radio.

Or go the wireless route and continue to not use the features built into the radio.

I have searched on this forum and would like some opinions; perhaps from RGU owners that use the wired sets.

I should also mention I daily commute to work...

2018 RGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the only experience i have is with the cardo.

it worked. and it was wireless. and it was bluetooth compatible.

there's no way i would spend that kind of money on a whim/hd system

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I use a wired headset on my bike. I plug it in and it works...EVERY TIME. Add on top of that you can get wired Harley headset for like $50 cause people are dumping them brand new cheap to go wireless. The Harness with the DIN plug is like $65. I even built a rear harness so my OL and I can use the inter comm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a wired headset on my bike. I plug it in and it works...EVERY TIME. Add on top of that you can get wired Harley headset for like $50 cause people are dumping them brand new cheap to go wireless. The Harness with the DIN plug is like $65. I even built a rear harness so my OL and I can use the inter comm.
I concur.. Its the least expensive and most successful way to connect.. a) without whim and HARLEY ISSUED headset you cannot hear Stereo (from what I heard) if you use 20s directly to phone, thats ok.. but then you cant use all features or radio specifically voice commands..
Simple to install. Only one minor fault I see with way Harley asks you to install.. an Craig please let me know if I misread or did something wrong..
As part of the install they ask you to use the double stick tape to keep Port nicely on tank.. I might be wrong but I think this will make it difficult if you need to remove tank again for another reason. if you ran cables under "wiring tunnel" under tank .. if you didn't, guess you can put tank aside while you work but it will still be "attached" via this port. I didn't taped it so its a little wiggly but I don't mind (talking about the port that is ... :) )

Also, if you go wired, i would recommend getting a helmet that has the place for the ear pods.. if you dont have one already... makes for a more comfortable ride..

BTW.. Sena make a "Freewire" device thats less then WHIM and allows stereo.. you could research that... Law Abiding Biker on youtube has a good review of it..

Craig.. also, if you read this,
can you let me know how you setup the rear harness.. will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
@Dragonback

Here is where I mounted the riders DIN on my last two bikes.

Here is the passenger DIN.

If you’re wanting to do this PM me and I’ll help you out as much as I can. There were dudes who did it before I did, but when I was trying to do it I couldn’t get any help. It’s not hard to do just takes a little time.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I almost went the 20s WHIM route. Took it back. Picked up a nice used Sena S20 and bluetooth to my phone only. I listen to my music via the fairing speakers. Didn't need it to do 100 things. I'm ok with the bike GPS. And if I want to I can use my phone GPS and it comes through my sena speakers in my helmet. Considering the freewire. But not seriously.

·
Registered
76 Posts
@Dragonback

If you’re wanting to do this PM me and I’ll help you out as much as I can. There were dudes who did it before I did, but when I was trying to do it I couldn’t get any help. It’s not hard to do just takes a little time.

Hey Thanks... Looks good.. PMing you..

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Some very good info posted so far. For me, I have done the Bluetooth connection with my phone. Installed the wire setup from HD on my 15 RG and as stated, it always worked, but after a while I got tired of messing with the wire. Used J&M, good headset and helmet speakers - but just mono with the HD head unit. Decided to bite the bullet and go with the WHIM and the HD wireless headset and do not have any regrets at all.

For me, if I ever get another new/newer bike, I will remove the WHIM and put it on the next bike. If you decide to go with the wired setup, I would suggest taking a look on an auction site and pickup a center console with the opening for the wired headset. HD offers the wire setup to install on a bike that did not have it from the factory. Take that cable and add about 8” to it, that way you will be able to run the wire under the tank in the wiring tray under the tank, like it would come from the factory, than up to the console mount.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I almost went the 20s WHIM route. Took it back. Picked up a nice used Sena S20 and bluetooth to my phone only. I listen to my music via the fairing speakers. Didn't need it to do 100 things. I'm ok with the bike GPS. And if I want to I can use my phone GPS and it comes through my sena speakers in my helmet. Considering the freewire. But not seriously.

This is the exact same boat I’m in as far as what i want one to do. Thinking i may pick up a new sena 10s though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The wife and I just did hemets with Sena built into them. Works with bluetooth on the phone (never used harley radio) and we like it very much.

I was going to do a whole sound system but it was a compromise; pay for the good helmets with sound I can hear and safer biking. I normally do not wear a helmet. Happy Wife Happy Life.

Plus, it got rid of the intercom wires on the bike. Wife hated it and would not use it.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Cardo is by far a better product, they have a lot of options. SENA is low end high price. They work but weather weather will destroy them. I learned my lesson with SENA afyer having Cardo Q3. My old Cardo still are better tan a new SENA. Except in battery life the older stuff only lasted 4 hours new stuff 10-12.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife and I use Sena 20's and have since they came out! I bought a new R.G. installed the Din plug and bought a Sena Free Wire....I have used this setup for just over a year....I have tinnitus fairly bad and need everything in my helmet,this set up works fine for me....Might not be the perfect deal for the very best sound but its fine for my hearing...Sena is not water proof as I under stand but I have well over 75K miles with this set up and its still works good every time I fire up....My Sena has gotten wet and quit working for a short time then comes back after the downpour moves on....This will not be for every one but it does work and I'm good with it....Cardo has made big strides and I think now may be the "Better set up"time will tell....Good luck to what ever u decides works for you...I started with Sena and will stay with them simply because it works for us and I could not afford to change to a different system...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My 16 RGU came wired headsets. The Wing I have is wired headsets. I don't need to have four helmets laying around, not to mention the cost of buying two more at about 1k each. Helmets are Aria with the J&M top end speaker/mic rig. In 20+ years I've had to replace one cord due to failure. In my opinion I can hear fairly high quality sounds and the only downside is sidewinds that trigger the VOX, have to manually adjust. Probably due to familiarity this setup seems to be the best! We've ridden 12+ hours (when required) and batteries would just add another layer of failure.

The only thing that would be nice, is to see an independent comparison about sound fidelity between different brands and types. To me the quality of sound is the first priority in the purchase of a helmet headset. So far no one has provided (IMO) ways to improve the volume and clarity.

Maybe one day I'll be convinced to go wireless :nerd:

·
JMJOHN
994 Posts
ON the 2006-2019 Harley audio systems, J&M headsets offer superior highway performance compared to all others, both corded and Bluetooth ((see https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=08 ,,, & ,,, https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30 ,,,,

custom J&M BluHub Bluetooth dongles also available for 2006-2019 Harley with MUCH IMPROVED Performance compared to the Harley WHIM ,,,,,, ((see https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

100% plug-n-play and can be used with both corded or Bluetooth headsets, or one of each at the same time, for all audio system functions ,,,,,

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So far for cost I’m leaning towards a wired setup...

How much an inconvenience is it to hook up?

I might not be the right person to answer, since I've been doing this 20+ years, but to me it's a non issue. Just takes a couple seconds to plug in the cords. If your referring to install, I can't comment on that on a RG. The install on the Wing was about 1/2 hour, basically you're adding cords to existing plugs.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So far for cost I’m leaning towards a wired setup...

How much an inconvenience is it to hook up?

Outer fairing and tank to do it properly. Then all you're doing is plugging the harness and running it to someplace where you have access to the DIN plug. If you're gonna do anything else under the fairing now would be the time.

The DIN harness plug is the white one, center bottom of the picture.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not quite what I was saying...I understand how to wire it up. I was asking is a wire an a distraction, and how inconvenient is it to connect every time you ride.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Not quite what I was saying...I understand how to wire it up. I was asking is a wire an a distraction, and how inconvenient is it to connect every time you ride.

For me, that is why I went wireless, I hated the wire after a couple of months. If you decide to go wired and change your console to one that has the wired mount. Let me know and I will see if I can find the harness I extended to run under the tank, in the wiring tray up to the console mount. The harness for HD will not be long enough to run it that way, from my experience.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts