Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shipped my HK to Iron Cross Audio for preamp outputs in mid-December. They shipped the unit back quickly but the box was pierced in shipping and the face plate of the HK took some cosmetic damage. This is where the trouble started.

Iron Cross submitted a claim with UPS who picked up the radio on Jan 4th. Twelve days later the unit still hasn't arrived at Iron Cross Audio. I received an email from Iron Cross Audio today saying that they think the unit has been lost by UPS. Can you believe that? UPS broke it going one direction and lost it going back the other.

I can’t say much good about customer service at Iron Cross Audio either (although they are not at fault about the shipping fiasco). Only now that the issue is over a month old have they shown any kind of concern. Previous email responses to my inquiries for claim status were one-liners with no one’s name from a generic email address.

Another thing Iron Cross Audio could do is improve their packaging. They use foam that covers maybe 30% of the radio which is “naked” in the box (see the pic). I only mention this because they make a pretty big deal about how YOU should pack your unit when you ship it to them. If they took their own advice, I’d have a working radio right now.

The nice email I got today was from the service manager at Iron Cross Audio who said they will replace the radio if it doesn't show up by tomorrow so I appreciated that.

Add this situation to my paint color fiasco and all I can say is that I’m glad it’s winter because I can’t ride anyway.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Wow, that's a double whammy of bad luck! I'm kind of expecting you to tell us that locusts have invaded Cypress next. ;) On the UPS thing, Nutter Mutter may have some good advice for you, as he's got some pull with Big Brown.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
If HK is lost, might be time to investigate an upgrade and see what IC would do

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hope it gets handled. Sounds like they did a sad ass job of packing.
I've had a few radios modified by them for custom installs.
They are packed in reusable custom collars that I've been able to send subsequent radios back to them. They are very secure and protected.
I'm sure they ship enough radios to know how to pack.
The box in that pic looks like something went through it...cant stop everything.

As far as customer service, they always have been nothing but great.
I usually deal with Maria and am sure she's taking this as seriously as possible. But if you've ever delt with UPS is a claim situation, you know what a pain it can be.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've had a few radios modified by them for custom installs.
They are packed in reusable custom collars that I've been able to send subsequent radios back to them. They are very secure and protected.
I'm sure they ship enough radios to know how to pack.
The box in that pic looks like something went through it...cant stop everything.
Their packaging is not great. Sure they have a form-fitted foam sandwich that keeps the radio away from the box walls and I might have been impressed by that if I hadn't seen it's weakness. Almost any kind of wrap around the radio would have prevented the damage my unit received.

This is from their website.

"We recommend using bubble wrap around the radio. Wrap it well. Protecting the faceplate and rear of the radio is very important."

The only thing protecting the faceplate in their box is the outer cardboard because their foam leaves it exposed.

As far as customer service, they always have been nothing but great.
They were not great to me. When they called to get my credit card information they were very polite but prior to yesterday, all other communication was short and unhelpful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Iron Cross Audio and would happily do business with them again. They turned my unit around very quickly. This is mainly a UPS problem. I just pointed out where they didn't shine when things went south and a weakness in their packaging.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
After having a couple thigs damaged by UPS and having to deal with their claims system, which is an absolute waste of time, I ship from my end only by FedEx or USPS, preferring USPS.
You see what UPS has done here. They picked up your damaged package on a new tracking number, most likely with a "lose it" code attached(probably gets shipped to a warehouse in BFE Utah). It's now been a month, Iron Cross is replacing your radio, and will most likely never get fully reimbursed by UPS.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Sorry about your plight, BUTTTTTTT, I'm gonna have to razz you a bit on that "it's winter" bit. You live in Cypress, TX. Texas. We don't have winter we just have a cold snaps. Anyways, this is why I find it hard to break down my bike for work, because there isn't a week that goes by all year I'm not on my bike, except maybe when I leave on 7 day cruises, but even then i rent something two-wheeled. I sure hope you get all you issues figured out. I know I hate having a down bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry about your plight, BUTTTTTTT, I'm gonna have to razz you a bit on that "it's winter" bit. You live in Cypress, TX. Texas. We don't have winter we just have a cold snaps. Anyways, this is why I find it hard to break down my bike for work, because there isn't a week that goes by all year I'm not on my bike, except maybe when I leave on 7 day cruises, but even then i rent something two-wheeled. I sure hope you get all you issues figured out. I know I hate having a down bike.
I saw a guy riding on Huffmeister this morning before daylight with no helmet and no face protection. According to my car, IT WAS 30 DEGREES!! Compared to this dude I am a total WUSS!!:eek:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Things are looking up!

I got a call from Maria at ICA, super nice lady. They are making this whole thing right in a very generous way. Basically the preamp outputs are not going to cost me a thing and if UPS doesn’t deliver the radio to them today, they will go ahead and send me another one.

So I’m a happy camper and I have to say that Tony and Maria have definitely stepped up to make this right.

I wonder what UPS does with all the stuff they lose track of? Maybe it’s eventually delivered or maybe it goes on ebay. Who knows.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I wonder what UPS does with all the stuff they lose track of? Maybe it’s eventually delivered or maybe it goes on ebay. Who knows.
Don't you watch A&E or Travel Channel? Where do you think the "Baggage Wars" get their containers. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts