Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pulled over by a Hayward city cop today. I was on my 2018 RGS. He cited me for not having a separate brake light - that is, a brake light that is not combined with turn indicators. He told me, “I know you bought it that way, but your brake lights are not legal in California”.

I find it really hard to believe that Harley would/could sell motorcycles in California without complying with state law. I am digging through the California motor vehicle code, and I can’t find any reference to this requirement.

Has anybody else run into this?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds like the cop don't know his ass from a hole in the ground

Harleys and all manufacturers are built to comply with all 50 DOT regulations, the new Street Glide knock off that Indian builds uses this same design..

Also your typical car has this exact same integrated design, there are not seperate brake lights not integrated with turn signals and running lights. I wouldnt be paying that fine

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I got pulled over by a Hayward city cop today. I was on my 2018 RGS. He cited me for not having a separate brake light - that is, a brake light that is not combined with turn indicators. He told me, “I know you bought it that way, but your brake lights are not legal in California”.

I find it really hard to believe that Harley would/could sell motorcycles in California without complying with state law. I am digging through the California motor vehicle code, and I can’t find any reference to this requirement.

I'd call the moco and see what they say ,then call the city or governing office over the cop.
Doesn't that bottom section light up when you hit the brake ?

Reactions: Rays Road Glide

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'd call the moco and see what they say ,then call the city or governing office over the cop.
Doesn't that bottom section light up when you hit the brake ?
No need to call the MoCo. The bike wouldn't have been sold if it was 50 state DOT compliant. And the fender light is just a running light from the factory, so unless he swapped, no it doesn't light up when you hit the brakes.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
No need to call the MoCo. The bike wouldn't have been sold if it was 50 state DOT compliant. And the fender light is just a running light from the factory, so unless he swapped, no it doesn't light up when you hit the brakes.
He needs documentation when he fights this. Your forgetting, he comes from the land of fruit & nuts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the whole incident on "helmet cam", so I listened to what the officer told me a few more times. He definitely says that Harley "sells them this way", and that a separate brake light that is not incorporated into the turn signals is required in California. He listed the section of the Motor Vehicle Code that covers this: 24603(a). This states: "Each vehicle shall be equipped with one or more stoplamps." Nothing in there about a separate, "not incorporated into the turn indicators" brake light. On the citation itself he wrote, "Brake light required".

As delivered by the MoCo, the light at the bottom of the fender is only a running light.

I'm amazed that the cop thinks that Harley could sell thousands of motorcycles in California that violate California law.

By the way, the cop was on an Electra Glide.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Google Calif vehicle code 24603(a) & read it for yourself. Is it a fix it ticket ? You know it's a Chicken Shxt ticket.
Hayward has important crime to deal with. Officer had to get his ten (10) ticket count in B4 end of shift.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If it's a "fix-it" ticket, take the ticket and the bike to the local CHP station(NOT Hayward PD).
The Highway Patrol officer will laugh and sign it off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sometimes towns or police departments get involved with tickets quotas to raise money. It is a bogus practice and when challenged in court is usually thrown out by the judge. Obviously, that officer did not interpret the law correctly or he knew it was a bogus ticket and wrote it to meet a quota. Either way he meets his quota and his chief is off his butt and more than likely the officer wouldn't show up in court and the ticket is thrown out. But there are those uninformed people that will just pay the fine instead of checking to see if there is a real violation, so the town gets a percentage of the fine.
A similar scheme occurred in a town in southern NJ where the police dept. was sending tickets in the mail to motorist that they claimed did not stop for a full 3 seconds at a right-on-red intersection. There is no such law for a time limit in the NJ vehicle code, so those that challenged the tickets in court, claiming not guilty, had there tickets thrown out by the judge. Furthermore, the judge admonished the police dept. and threatened to charge them with contempt for clogging up his traffic court with bogus tickets. Kudos to the judge.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My guess is this asshat is confusing the need for a third brake light, a requirement for cars and trucks but not for motorcycles. CA is probably just like OR, the law requires lighting to meet a standard that can only be found in the administrative rules.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I would not have signed it and ask him to have his supervisor come down. Waste time there or at court, your time is wasted because of this guy.

I have the LED inserts in my lights and they are bright enough that if you can't tell I put on the brakes you shouldn't be driving.

·
Registered
943 Posts

He may have used this as an excuse to pull you over for some other reason, i.e. DUI, stolen vehicle, etc.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,135 Posts

Okay; I have the same scooter as you. And I also live in California (stop being haters; we are still proud citizens of the USA). And I can tell you that your brake light is independent of the turn signals/running lights. So, the configuration that you have is in compliance with 24603(e) CVC. The cop is/was wrong, and needs to be educated. Unfortunately, you have been wrongfully cited. Yes, it is a fix-it ticket, but it is still inconvenient (and can be costly). But I would suggest that you (patiently) go down to the Hayward PD office and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain the problem. Show him how the brake light acts independently (as per the Vehicle Code). Then hopefully he will educate the uneducated officer. Maybe not. You can also do the same thing in court, but that's a PIA. Bring a video (if it gets to that) to show the judge (running lights/signals vs. when you apply the brakes). Then the officer will get schooled in court.

Shouldn't have happened, but injustice occurs everyday. I support our "boys in blue" but that doesn't mean they always get it right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
He was pulling your chain and probably making a stop to drum up other offenses, etc. I would contact that dept's patrol sergeant and bring it to a supervisor's attention. Show the sergeant the video to document the incident.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds to me like the officer has a hard on the way HD builds some of their bikes. If he has issues with HD, why is he hassling HD owners for ? Whats funny Hayward PD & Oakland HD are tight (or they were).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it's a "fix-it" ticket, take the ticket and the bike to the local CHP station(NOT Hayward PD).
The Highway Patrol officer will laugh and sign it off.
It's not a fix-it ticket. It's "courtesy citation" - basically a warning. If I get pulled over for the same thing, I'll get a real citation.

I took a good look at the California Motor Vehicle Code. There is nothing in there about a "separate stoplamp" requirement. The code also specifically states that combining functions into a single lamp is allowed, and if those combined functions are stoplamps and turn indicators, then the stoplamp must turn off when the turn indicator is on (duh).

I sent email to the PD citing the above information regarding the motor vehicle code, and asked them for the specific law that I violated so that I can comply (they won't find any such law).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts