Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike (see below) has been dyno tuned by my dealer using the SEPST. It has repeatable numbers for what it is, 87.5 max HP and 104.2 max torque. The problem is that it still runs really freaking hot.

I am hoping that someone can tell me if running the auto tune feature would help with this at all? I worry that the dealer simply tuned to give me peak performance numbers at the expense of comfort.

Any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your Max HP and Torq numbers are gotten on a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) run on the Dyno. During this operation, you are not in a Closed Loop operation. i.e. AFR (O2 sensors) is ignored and the values for ECM are basically hard coded into the ECM. So the ECM does not really adjust the values.
During normal operations your ECM is running in a closed loop, meaning that your O2 sensors are feeding data to the ECM and your ECM is dynamically adjusting values to maintain your AFR. HD dealers normally keep the AFR to factory specs of 14.6.
This will result in a lean running engine and heat. So tuning for MAX Dyno runs is a different process than tuning for normal operations. This is why a tuner may spend several hours Dyno tuning your bike. He will put sever different loads on the bike at different RPM to simulate different driving conditions.. Like flat roads vs going up hills. vs slowing down..
I haven't used the Super Tuner in years and I know there have been changes in the software to use Lambda values vs AFR's.. This is one reason that I switched over to TTS..
Long and short.. your ECM is trying to keep your AFR around 14.6.. There are ways with the Super tuner to adjust that down so that you will put more gas in and less air.. AFR's down around 14 run cooler but gas mileage suffers.
Hope this helps you understand what's going on..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts CNMTurner.

I strongly suspect that my dealer basically only tuned for peak numbers. I am wanting something that will be more real world friendly. From what I have read I think it might be worthwhile for me to get the cables and play with the smart tune function myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts