Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to the service department about adding pipes and air to wake up my 114 and was told that I would need the Screaming Eagle tuner (which I expected). I the was told that the dealer had to tune the bike and it would cost approx $400 (which I didn’t expect). I told them they were smoking crack and left. I have a vision pro tuner but know it would void my warranty. Any ideas on how to get around this?

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
1st off, welcome to the forum from Mass!

$300 for the tuner plus $100 for them to load the tune, more like the going rate.

Find another dealer. Not worth throwing away your warranty. Your bike will run fine.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I spoke to the service department about adding pipes and air to wake up my 114 and was told that I would need the Screaming Eagle tuner (which I expected). I the was told that the dealer had to tune the bike and it would cost approx $400 (which I didn’t expect). I told them they were smoking crack and left. I have a vision pro tuner but know it would void my warranty. Any ideas on how to get around this?
You can buy the SEPST tuner online somewhere and download the tune yourself. Of course you will have to buy the $30 cable also but you will need that anyway if you ever want to do a Smart Tune.

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yep, I have been told the same $400 for a tune scenario by a couple of dealers. If you are doing a stage 1, just get the pro street tuner and perform the magic yourself or like @madmat said, pay for the tuner and for them to load a tune for your stage 1.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can buy the SEPST tuner online somewhere and download the tune yourself. Of course you will have to buy the $30 cable also but you will need that anyway if you ever want to do a Smart Tune.
You also need a laptop with windows.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, best to just do it yourself. Its easy. I did it to my 17 a month after I bought it. It ran pretty good, but just changed out to the v&h fp3 and it is a world of difference. I did the pro street tuner to maintain my warranty. Bought mine through surdyke Harley Davidsons website. Paid $225 for the tuner and $28 for the cables. Now its just a paper weight! haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
As long as you have a laptop, do it yourself. There is no install. You attach the tuner to the ecm and your laptop with a cable and download the tune into the ecm. The tuner writes to the ecm and does not stay attached to the bike unless you are doing auto tune runs. It's a simple process. You will need the separate cable to attach to the laptop.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
It amazes me that dealers would try and charge $400 for a tune with the M8's and the Street Tuner. That is the price for a full dyno tune and they no longer do full dyno tunes with the street tuner. I is literally downloading the appropriate stage MAP to the ECM and doing a few recording sessions to fine tune it. Most people accomplish this on their own at home. If you want to keep the warranty buy the Street Tuner from Surdyke HD online for less than $250 and do everything yourself. There are also some you tube videos out there if you need to see how it's done. If you don't care about warranty just buy a real tuner and move on.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The funny thing is, on HD's website, they show the Tuner being used with a Mac. Like Jeff said, you need windows; IOS will not work.

You do know that MAC's can run Virtual PC on top of it's own operating system. When you run virtual PC you can run any windows software with it because you are now running Windows. A friend of mine hooks his Power Vision up to his MAC laptop using VPC. Not a big deal at all.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
You do know that MAC's can run Virtual PC on top of it's own operating system. When you run virtual PC you can run any windows software with it because you are now running Windows. A friend of mine hooks his Power Vision up to his MAC laptop using VPC. Not a big deal at all.
I tried to download Windows 10 and virtual PC about five different times without success. I don't know if it's my computer or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm fairly computer literate but I have been unsuccessful. I had to borrow my 80 year old mother's PC to use the tuner software.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I tried to download Windows 10 and virtual PC about five different times without success. I don't know if it's my computer or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm fairly computer literate but I have been unsuccessful. I had to borrow my 80 year old mother's PC to use the tuner software.
Well that sucks. Could be a security setting on your computer or even a glitch with the site your are trying to download from.

·
Registered
106 Posts
here's a video that may help

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ah Hah!! I didn't know I needed to download Virtual Box first. It looks like it's installing now. Thanks Jeff and Ken!
I started to ask you that very question but I thought it might be a stupid question. You never know, sometimes it's the simple stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts