Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update:Ride will take place October 13/14. This is PEAK leaf time along the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you've thought about this ride, and taking photos from the BRP - just DO IT and meet us.
Saturday primer - meet gr8bigdude along the Parkway. I'll be hitting the Floyd entrance to the Parkway about 10am, and riding south to Boone for the meet-up. PM me if you want to meet along the way.
Saturday Afternoon meet-up info:
Troy's 105 Diner
1286 North Carolina 105, Boone, NC
(828) 265-1344‎
troys105diner.com

We'll meet late afternoon on 13 October (specific time to be confirmed later) at Troy's 105, and stay the night in Boone.

Those who currently plan on doing this ride:
Brewiz
Quicksand (a bit under the weather, at present)
Medic Tim
gr8bigdude
TRUEBlue

Current plan is to join the BRP at Boone (~MM291) and head south on Sunday.

---------------------

The most colorful time of the year in the mountains of VA and NC are coming soon, and now is a great time to start planning for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Precisely when peak leaf days occur are dependent upon many factors, but the vistas are amazingly colorful anytime from late September to the last weeks of October.

I'm an avid photographer, so I'm planning a ride that includes ample stops at the best overlooks with awesome views of mountains and valleys; a stop-n-gawk tour, if you will. Currently planning a two day ride, over a weekend in late September to mid-October.

It would take you 10 hours, 47 minutes and 27 seconds to ride the BRP from end-to-end, provided you get 469 miles from a tank of gas, don't eat, wear a diaper, and miraculously resolve all the parkway closures and detours (credit; smokymountainrider.com). At the time of year this ride is planned, it's not possible to ride the entire length in two days during daylight, at or near the posted speed limits (mostly 45mph), IMHO. So, unless there's interest in a three-day ride, only portions of the BRP will be ridden this time around.

I live ~20 miles from BRP milepost 165, which is close to Floyd, VA. My "no companion" default is to ride from mp165 to the southern terminus at Cherokee and mp469. Overnight would be Asheville, NC off mp382. If others want to gather for a ride, I'm happy to adjust the starting and terminating points; and thusly the overnight stop. In my opinion, the most beautiful part of the BRP is from Boone, NC to Cherokee, NC. I certainly want to hit that stretch of road.

My current thoughts on timing would be one of the following options:
Sept 29/30
Oct 6/7
Oct 13/14
Or throw in a Friday and/or Monday if there's some interest in an extended ride.

Let me know if you are interested in the ride and/or M&G along the way.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My first exposure to the BRP was just a couple of weeks ago, piloting a (you guessed it) car. As beautiful as it was, it was simply excruciating not to be on a bike, especially seeing so many riders in 2 wheeled nirvana.

I wanted to return this fall, but it does not look likely for me. However, I CANNOT WAIT to return!

Please post every photo of all the beauty, both natural and mechanical, and I promise to writhe with envy!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was in floyd in July for floydfest....would love to ride the parkway in the fall.....had the bike down there last year for the festival , ran into bad fog....no fun

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely post pics. Yep, Parkway with a cage is ok, but watching the bikes go by is excruciating. You can't explain how amazing it is on a bike to those who don't ride. It's like trying to smell the color nine.

Floydfest is weird but fun. Lots of complaints this year due to offsite parking with too few buses. Floyd Fandango is my favorite - beer and wine festival with a little music to boot. The fog can be horrible and dangerous on a bike - I don't envy you that ride!

It can get cold at the higher elevations in the fall, but that means crisp air with low humidity that makes for clear long-range views: and amazing photos.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've been wanting to do that ride, I may be in on that....Keep us posted. I would probably have to leave here the day before to meet up though.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Medic Tim - sounds good.
h-donut - Harley Ride planner with a MAC using the pad is a no-go, apparently. I don't even own a mouse. Will have to try Ride Planner on my work PC tomorrow.
Brewiz - excellent.

i have an extra room in the house now that my last foster child is reunified with her birth parent; has a futon bunkbed (full on bottom, twin on top). Also have a couple blow-up beds and a soft sofa. I even have some Regusci Napa Valley (Stags Leap) wine in the rack, just waiting for someone who appreciates fine wine to enjoy it with...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Was in Robinsville last year the 3rd or 4th wknd of October and the colors were spectactular and the weather perfect. Crisp, clear...30s at night but warmed up to low 60s during the day. I love taking pictures as well but when I get riding I get into it so much I hate to keep stopping.

We were planning and at this moment are still planning, to ride the entire pkwy this weekend although we are still keeping a weather eye out due to all the rain. If you see a big guy on the pkwy. this wknd on a merlot RGU that looks like Santa in a bad mood give me a holler

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Will do. Look for a Big Blue Pearl FLTRX being ridden by a large guy wearing a flying tigers lid.
The weather is looking pretty dismal in Kentucky this wknd..if we can get out of town we are planning on being in Waynesboro Sunday morning and riding the entire pkwy in a couple of days. Do you have any idea what they are calling for weather wise over that way?

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
The ride from PF toward NC on Hwy 441, up and over the mountain (toward Cherokee) is amazing. If you've not been, there's a lookout point at the top where you can park and gawk. Simply awe-inspiring.

If yer talking of the ride thru the SMNP from Gburg/PForge to Cherokee , did it last year and went from there to Cherohala Skyway , and looped back to GBurg , took 7 hours to go 227 miles ..

We go up at least once a year

JtB

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weather is looking pretty dismal in Kentucky this wknd..if we can get out of town we are planning on being in Waynesboro Sunday morning and riding the entire pkwy in a couple of days. Do you have any idea what they are calling for weather wise over that way?
Not a washout. They are calling for a 40% chance starting Sunday, which usually means we'll get wet at some point during the day. Looks like that same % chance the entire way down to Cherokee. Expect to start the day dry, then storms and showers build as it heats up during the day, then dry out late afternoon and evening again. Highs in the low 80's and lows in the 60's. About 10 degrees cooler at the higher points along the BRP: Mt Mitchell, Mt. Pisgah and Black Balsam (highest point). Of course, it's just a forecast. Your actual experience may vary.

If you can, stop at Hillsville, VA this weekend, for the largest flea market and gun show on the East coast. They shut the town down and vendors line the streets. Goes on Friday through Monday.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
If you can, stop at Hillsville, VA this weekend, for the largest flea market and gun show on the East coast. They shut the town down and vendors line the streets. Goes on Friday through Monday.
6 hours each way and $200 to haul my stuff down there and back.

it does sound like fun, though.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My wife is going to be working on Sunday, so I'm open for a ride. I'll send you a pm; be happy to meet you on the BRP.
Sounds good. The rainfall model has actually slightly improved overnight. I know at some point over the weekend we'll get rain but Im hopin to get out of town without getting wet...to me leaving in the rain is always a bad sign and something I dont really wanna do.

I was thinking about maybe calling an audible in the morning and coming down 421, ride the snake and picking up the Pkwy around Deep Gap....I was thinkin going straight SE we'd get away from the rain quicker but the rainfall map looks the same the entire length of the Pkwy so Waynesboro or Deep Gap it doesnt look to matter. Man wish I was leaving right now! :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts