Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December 2012, I purchased a package deal from my local HD dealer for my '12 FLTRU. They installed SE255 cams, SE high volume oil pump, FuelMoto 2-1-2 head pipe, CFR slip-ons, and SE Ventilator. The SERT was part of the package deal with all the upgrades. After everything was installed I drove the bike and it ran horribly. I promptly took it back to the dealer and they agreed to re-tune the bike. Second time I pick up the bike, I get 100 miles almost to a full tank of fuel. I took it back again. Third time I take it for a drive after they re-tuned it and the bike runs the best of the 3 yet I have an issue with it lagging in 6th gear. I take the bike back a 4th time, for the lagging. I was "convinced" by FuelMoto and the dealer that the CFR slip-ons where causing the problem. I ordered FuelMoto 4" Jackpot Dyno-Tuned slip-ons, installed them myself, then took the bike back to the dealer for it to be re-tuned a 4th time. I stupidly agree to pay $150 for more dyno time "since I changed out a part", even though the part was changed because it came recommended from FuelMoto and the dealer to fix this on going tuning issue. My bike runs slightly better after the 4th tune but still has lag in 6th gear, decel pop, and poor throttle response. I am looking for help in finding a technician locally that can dyno tune my bike and get her back to good health. I live in the Memphis, TN area. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
593 Posts
I can't help you with a local tuner to you, but I experienced the same issues as you. I basically spent 4 weeks with my bike in and out of the local dealership with them trying to tune it. They finally got it tuned, but the bike still runs like crap in 85+ deg. weather.

I have a local tuner I'm taking the bike to this Thursday to see what he can do with it. As a side note, I've heard the SE255 cams that I have (and you have) are not a great choice. Evidently they create roughly 175/lbs of cylinder pressure and 180/lbs is about the upper limit. Additionally I was told that the 254 cams are a much better choice. I don't build v-twin engines, so I don't know how accurate all of that is. We will find out this week what can be done with my current setup.

Meanwhile, I do believe a good tuner can get your setup running well for you. I hope somebody else can chime in and help you out. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think that both of y'alls problems are with the tuners at your dealers.

Both the SERT and the 255s are well liked by a lot of people.

Y'all just have to get 'em dialed in.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ill found out in a few weeks how that setup goes, I have CFRs, will have new V&H true dual headpipes, big sucker, 255 cams, adjustable push rods, SERT and will auto tune initially then dyno it.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I would recommend scraping the SERT and putting in a Thundermax auto tuner then there won't ever be a need for a dyno tune again. I have had the same problems with dyno tunes and mostly it is the man doing the work that is the problem, these people either don't take the time or don't know on how to correctly adjust the timing and AFR.

·
Registered
510 Posts
+1 on Ironmark's suggestion. I prefer the PC5 but most likey the guy doing the tune is the problem. With a lot of tuners it seems to be a PICNIC...Problem in Chair, Not in Computer! I'd recommend taking a ride down to my neck of the woods and having Gary Williams dial it in! And go to Tico's while you're here!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The SERT is not the problem, it's the dyno tech. I have a simelar set-up with 255's, V&H haeder and 4" slip-ons, and my bike runs great. The dyno terch's are a common problem, apparently they are not trained very well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think that both of y'alls problems are with the tuners at your dealers.

Both the SERT and the 255s are well liked by a lot of people.

Y'all just have to get 'em dialed in.
I'll find out. My scoot is at Flora Racing Heads in South Bend (you can find them on Facebook or do a Google search of that or Jeff Flora). In our area Jeff is the man when it comes to Harley's. Lots of accolades in the racing community, builds his own heads, etc. etc. He claims he doesn't like the 255's NOT because they can't be tuned, but because they create too much cylinder pressure and other cams in the same setup will make more TQ & HP with less cylinder pressure. A little beyond my scope of knowledge, but given his experience I trust him. I'll post the dyno sheet and results when he is done. I'm sure most of my problem is the lack of tuning experience at the dealership.

I would recommend scraping the SERT and putting in a Thundermax auto tuner then there won't ever be a need for a dyno tune again. I have had the same problems with dyno tunes and mostly it is the man doing the work that is the problem, these people either don't take the time or don't know on how to correctly adjust the timing and AFR.
I would love to go with the Thundermax, but I don't have the right exhaust setup and I'm not hip on the idea of cutting and welding on this exhaust. I've already spent the money on the current setup to it is water under the bridge per say.

The SERT is not the problem, it's the dyno tech. I have a simelar set-up with 255's, V&H haeder and 4" slip-ons, and my bike runs great. The dyno terch's are a common problem, apparently they are not trained very well.
What are your TQ & HP numbers so I (we) have something to compare to?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mrsmooth,
Im here in Memphis so I can guess which dealer you are refering to. The new shop Leatherwoods down off Broad is getting a new Dyno and is advertising it heavily. Luke the owner was talking it up at the Wild Hogs poker run several weeks ago. Might be worth a shot. Other than that the guy referd to above outside of Jackson is very well spoken of here on the forum. When i do my next round, it will probably be done there. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
If you don't want to weld in 02 bungs for a Thundermax then you can always order the 2009 head pipe from Fuel Moto and sell the head pipe you have now.
The 2009 head pipe will fit your bike and it has the 18mm 02 bungs in the proper place to install a auto tuner.
I used the SERT on my bike for years and never had any problems but when I made performance changes I couldn't get a good dyno tune anywhere thats when I decided on the Thundermax auto tuner and once I put that on my problems went away and the bike ran better then ever.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Tuner is the issue. My dealer sells similar package with different mufflers everyday and dyno tunes bikes everyday without these issues. Cant believe how many crappy dyno tuners are out there charging money and screwing up peoples bikes. A good dyno tune with mods is as good as it gets.

I would be super pissed if had a problem like this with a brand new bike that cost's nearly 30k after mods. Unacceptable.

·
Registered
593 Posts
MrSmooth: have a *good* tuner take a run at your bike. I just got mine re-tuned (picked it up last night), and so far it feels really good. I'll start another thread to post the dyno sheet so as not to jack yours, but new numbers are 85 HP & 107.7 TQ.

According to the tuner, there was a lot wrong with mine including the dealer started with the wrong base map and build incorrectly from there. Good luck and please keep us posted on if you get it worked out.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The SERT is only good as the individual doing the tune IMO. To many variables for me so I went with the PV-1 besides they have the perfect map/s for your setup. Good luck finding a tech that knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with TLKurtz, I have already invested in this setup with the FuelMoto 2-1-2 head pipe and am not wanting to do the cutting and welding to install the O2 sensors.

Mrsmooth,
Im here in Memphis so I can guess which dealer you are refering to. The new shop Leatherwoods down off Broad is getting a new Dyno and is advertising it heavily. Luke the owner was talking it up at the Wild Hogs poker run several weeks ago. Might be worth a shot. Other than that the guy referd to above outside of Jackson is very well spoken of here on the forum. When i do my next round, it will probably be done there. Hope you get it worked out.
I did some digging after my post on here and found Leatherwoods by accident. I was able to find about their shop from talking to random people at bike night and heard nothing but good remarks. I called them about when their dyno will be up and running. The dyno arrived on May 1st, the last I heard they are waiting for it to be setup. In the mean time, I had been really looking at the Power Vision from Fuel Moto. Leatherwoods says they have no problems dynoing the bike using the Power Vision. First shop I have found in the area that will touch the Power Vision. I was told to watch their Facebook page about when the dyno machine will be ready for their customers.

I strongly agree with many of you who said it is the tuner doing the tune. After going back so many times and getting back bad results, dyno sheets with large valley's in the torque and horsepower, I am completely convinced they know nothing about tuning the bikes they sell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FuelMoto sells the Power Vision with a map loaded on the unit based on what configuration you tell them you have, so is there a need to have someone dyno tune the bike??? Or are you okay with using the map they send and working with the AutoTune feature to tweak it slightly for your specific bike???

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would recommend going the Fuel Moto route. The know their stuff in regards to EFI tuning. If she runs like a champ after installing the canned map...no need to dyno tune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts