Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealer today to schedule tune and remap. They said they can tune either a SERT or Power commander, and price for both would be about the same. They recommended SERT because it does not install into bike. Bike they could install both and tune for about $800. Since i dont know anything about tuners, can someone give me some insight as to what might be better?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
If it was ME...I would buy the PC5 for around 300 bucks and install it myself. It is literally as easy as plugging the system into your computer, putting the CD in and finding the closest setup to your bike. Example: I have a vance and hines pro pipe with arlen ness big sucker. select it, Plug it into your bike and ride on. Saved 400 bucks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I called fuelmoto and they sent me a power vision. So easy a caveman can do it! And they can send you a new map if you make changes to the bike later. Worth at least a call to talk to them

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
213 Posts
Go with a PV1 I had a serpt and could never get it right. I traded mine in for a PV1 at FuelMoto and got it last Friday. Plugged it in and flashed the ECM with the supplied map. Took the bike out the next day rode 200 miles and the bike never ran better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Go with a PV1 I had a serpt and could never get it right. I traded mine in for a PV1 at FuelMoto and got it last Friday. Plugged it in and flashed the ECM with the supplied map. Took the bike out the next day rode 200 miles and the bike never ran better.
I like Jamie and Fuel Moto, they never steer you wrong. That said, I also like the SEPRT, simply for the fact that it uses the "brain" that comes with the bike, not a piggy-back or replacement unit. My H-D Dealer installed it, but did not leave me with a tune that I liked, so I bought the software & cables and fixed it myself. Its not so easy a caveman can do it, but, it does a fine job when used correctly.

Either way you go, you should have a good running bike. Whatever is easier for you, follow your gut, don't rely on us, who knows if we know anything about what we are talking about!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
If it was ME...I would buy the PC5 for around 300 bucks and install it myself. It is literally as easy as plugging the system into your computer, putting the CD in and finding the closest setup to your bike. Example: I have a vance and hines pro pipe with arlen ness big sucker. select it, Plug it into your bike and ride on. Saved 400 bucks.
What he said. And I dont install ANYTHING myself. Even I was avle to do the PC5 though:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
I saw in another thread that you just installed a complete Dragos True Duals system. I did too, and I also installed the ThunderMax tuner which Frank supplied.

Due to my limited experience, I can't compare the T-Max to any other tuner; but, I can say I think I'm going to be happy with it. Also, Frank has some good prices. If you haven't yet, you should at least give him a call.

Sorry if this was too far off from your original question. I know how conflicting all this information gets

tj

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Power Vision with overnite delivery...I want to be up and running before the weekend. They are supplying me with a map also. So my question, for those who have this...do you mount the display on your bike, or leave it off??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a PC5 and it is great. You can call the company (DynaJet) and speak to someone on the phone. Tell them what you have done to your bike and they will pick a map that is closest to what you have and try to get it as close as they can.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just received mine last Friday and rode Sat and Sunday. Supplied tune was great. I am going to keep it in a saddlebag incase I need it, but one less thing to have hanging off the bike to break.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been using my PV1 since 2011 on my FLHRC and I just moved it to my new FLTRX. I also just added the Jackpot header and AutoTune. I had the PV1 mounted on my FLHRC because the gauge mode gave me a Tach and a bunch of other great info. Not the least of which was VERY accurate real time fuel economy and Gals used. I will be mounting the PV1 to FLTRX as soon as my Iron Aces mount arrives, mostly to use the AutoTune function with wideband sensors. Another gauge I will always display on PV1 is engine temp, the gauge in the fairing is pretty much worthless.
You will find there is a lot of info available from this device, tuning is done right on the unit, no computer needed, (SERT can't do that), and you are directly flashing the ECM the same way SERT does. The base map you get from Jamie will be pretty accurate and even with stock O2 sensors you can fine tune for your local operating conditions and driving style to tweak it.
After adding header and Air Cleaner to my FLTRX I used basemap from FM and did 2 "tuning" runs using my WB sensors applied the tune and the bike is running FREAKIN GREAT!!!! :D On top of that FM has done extensive testing/building of nearly every possible aftermarket configuration and they are more than happy to send new maps if you add more mods. No dyno needed. Will your local HD shop do that......I think not!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remember PC3/5 Must be left on the bike PV1/2 just flash the bike, can be taken off if you do not want the display.

With that being said, I had the powervision on my fatboy lo with a canned map and she ran outstanding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I installed my Woods 222 cams I went with a TunderMax tuner from Fuel Moto. Jamie loaded the map that was the closest to my setup. The TunderMax replaces your ECM. You do have to make sure that you get headers that will accept the 18mm wide band O2 sensors. I used Khrom Werks headers but now I think that I should have went with Vance and Hines Power Duals but that is another topic. Bottom line is I love the TunderMax auto tune. It does it all. You can adjust settings with a lap top computer through the USB port and have six different maps loaded which allows you to change maps on the road. The SERT gives you one map and that is all. It also has to be installed by the dealer. I have used a Power Commander in the past on my Kawasaki and it is also a very good tuner but it is a piggy back type of unit. The TunderMax with auto tune is expensive but the most versatile. I have had no issue with it what so ever. The best part was that I was able to do all of the work myself. It is always more satisfying when you can work on your own bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Jamie at Fuelmoto sent my Powervision preloaded with a map. Plugged it in, couple menu touches and loaded the map. Came with step by step instructions too. I data logged twice and it runs great.
As a contrast, I helped a Club Brother tune his bike with a Thundermax. He had the autotuner, wideband O2 sensors. We selected a map close to his mods. Flashed the Thundermax ECM and bolted it in. He rode for a couple of hours, hooked the laptop to it and modified his map. Bike runs great.
As a third alternative, I had a big bore and SERT loaded at the dealer on my 06 flhr. It ran great.
All are viable. Dealer was most expensive, then Thundermax finally Powervision.
Ease of use, dealer, Powervision and Thundermax. Most detailed information was Powervision, Thundermax and no details from the dealer.
I like the Thundermax that it autologs. I like the Powervision doesn't need a laptop.
Your choice
All are good

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts