Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a 2013 Road Glide Custom new in April 13. Sometime around August of 2016, the battery didn't seem as strong on initial start in the morning, so I replaced it with a MotoBatt MBTX30U. Around the same time, I asked a Harley shop to put in led turn signals, but they were unable to because they wouldn't fit (fit issue unrelated). Almost immediately I started having an intermittent issue where the Voltmeter would drop to 11 Volts and the battery light and service engine light would come on. If I just leave it after a few minutes, the lights go off and the Voltmeter goes back up to normal. I thought it may have something to do with the aftermarket battery, so I went and bought a factory battery from the Harley shop, but this didn't change anything. The standard answer at the Harley shop is "We wouldn't be able to make a guess without charging you 2 hours for diagnostics" regardless of the issue, so does anyone here have any idea what might be going on? My initial assumption (after I changed back to a new stock battery) would be stator or regulator, but I'm not a mechanic and could be completely off.

I attached a couple of pictures and also posted a video for troubleshooting help.
https://youtu.be/s7JCPkvN3W4

Electrical changes that have been made:
Boom iPod kit installed in May 2013
Daymakers installed in March 2016

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It’s your Voltage Regulator that has gone bad. Just happened to me on my way to Sharkweek last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Big_gary

·
Registered
593 Posts
Battery

I'd go back to the issue that started the trouble. your turn signals. Did they pinch any wires? Did they scrape any wires? Look over the wiring that they or you worked on trying to install the LEDS.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Voltage regulator would be my guess. They were pretty common around that year especially on the 2012's.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Run the charging system diagnosis in the service manual and save the money you'll spend replacing the wrong parts again! You already paid for the manual three times replacing good battery's!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like others as already stated, mine did the same, i was lucky enough my stator was not shot and replace the VR with a electric cycle top notch pieces i would not f#$k with a POS from the HD. Make sure you check your stator before installing a new VR, would be just stupid to burn new one because your stator is defective also.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts