Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my story. Please share yours too.

Is it time to go yet?! I'm looking forward to this event.

Originally I was on the fence about attending SWIV. I was torn between doing my usual Laconia Bike Week trip with my current friends, or headed to SWIV and meeting new friends. Since I ride weekly with my regular guys, I decided to branch out and do something new and exciting.

I've actually been fascinated with Shark Week since the first one in Gettysburg. I had a Sportster then, but knew someday i would own a Road Glide. I was too intimidated to show up alone on my Sportster. I bought a Shark Nose just after SWII and that event and SWIII were both further away then I care to travel.

I've already had the pleasure of moving the flag and meeting a few members. Since Hutmo's Gypsy Tour is passing through my area (5 miles from my house), it's really a "no brainer" to jump in with them on the way out to NH/ME. I've got a complete stranger (Brokenarrow) sharing my hotel room, but surely we'll be friends right away.

Although I am not one of the more vocal and active RG.org members, I still feel like I belong to a special disfunctional family :)

They say there are no strangers at Shark Week, only friends you haven't met yet. Well my friends, I look forward to meeting y'all.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I was really on the fence about going last year, the distance had a lot to do with it, but RR had a lot to do with convincing me to go, and I'm so glad I did. ...enjoyed every mile. Can't wait, only 80+ days to go. RR won't make it this year so he'll just have to deal with the pictures I send him. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm not knocking anyone here, but I don't get the "it's too far" mindset. If I had to ride a Greyhound bus or even drive a car to get there, I might understand. But I get to go to Shark Week RIDING my shark. It's all a matter of opinion, but I admire riders like Nut & Mutter who rode cross country to LeClaire for SWII and TracyB, Frank, Jim (and others) who rode the other direction to St. George for SWIII.

At just over 2,000 miles, SWIV will be the furthest I will have ridden for a Shark Week. I'm looking forward to every mile and to riding through 12 new states on the trip up and back.

·
Super Moderator
1,801 Posts
Hello SWiv attendees!

"This one time at Shark Week......"

My SW story will be different this year. I will get to live it vicariously through all those that attend and post their experiences on this forum. Please those of you that do attend, take tons of pictures and post them up. I won't be able to go this year, previous commitments make the timing impossible for me.

The pictures from SWI are the reason that I attended II and III. The meeting of like minded people almost all riding the same bike with no bs was appealing to me.

In 2012 I told my wife I was riding halfway across the country to meet up with a bunch of folks from the internet that ride motorcycles like mine. She almost had me committed before I went. That was a long solo ride to LeClaire Iowa and back and i would do it again in a heartbeat.

The ride there and back is also a huge part of whole event, I encourage you all to document the journey before and after the SW events. Those photos and stories are interesting as well.

For those of you attending your first SW, I am sure that most if not all of you will attend another. For those of you that are "Fourpeats", my hat is off to you in salute, you are the dedicated (crazy) ones. To all the folks that I have met at SW and will be missing this year, wear a beer can on your head for me eh!

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
SWIII was my first SW. I road out on faith on a 5k round trip and 11 day with dB, who I've never meet and a close friend, Hank Slim. I've road over 70K on my last RK and I must say, the previous 70k riding could not compare to what I experienced on my SWIII trip. The riding, the route, the location and the people makes the trip worth while. I'm hooked.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think my favorite part of the two Shark Weeks I've attended was the arrivals. I had just returned from Alaska and missed SWI. I was out of vacation and money.

For SWII, I rode to Kansas and met up with BigJack, JayKS, Nut & Mutter, Chainsaw, and several others. Jack and his wife hosted a great steak dinner on Sunday night and the crowd rode to Des Moines to meet up with others before riding into LeClaire in a big old ugly shiver of sharks. shaking the hands of the people with whom I had posted back and forth for the last year or so was really rewarding.

For SWIII, I had ridden from Dallas to Vegas for a few days on the strip before the event. In Vegas, about 15 sharks hooked up and rode to St. George on Monday afternoon and were greeted with Flight of the Valkyrie blasting from the stereo as we rode in by those who had already arrived.

I never felt as welcome when I rode into Sturgis, Daytona, ROT, the Lone Star Rally, Laughlin, etc as I did arriving at a Shark Week.

·
Super Moderator
5,879 Posts
That's my favorite part too, Shrug.

SWI: not knowing what to expect. Not knowing who was gonna show up, etc. Excited for everyone to see my freshly painted Lymey.

SWII: Couldn't wait to get there to see these folks again and to sit in front of the hotel awaiting new arrivals.

SWIII: Again, sooo excited waiting to see who rolled in first, greeting the new members and hugging the 'family' members that I had so dearly missed over the year.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Before SWI, I didn't know anyone except Hutmo, but I figured it would be fun if he was organizing it. I knew he was a "road freak" and we'd learn something about the Lincoln Highway. I didn't know we'd be riding brick streets and establishing a tradition. It was "convenient" for me to visit my sons in Connecticut and New York between the Motor Maids convention and SW, so I did it. I never shy away from riding long distances, so IA, UT, NH, meh.

I'm looking forward to the ride and especially catching up with friends I've made at SW and meeting a few new friends.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think my favorite part of the two Shark Weeks I've attended was the arrivals. I had just returned from Alaska and missed SWI. I was out of vacation and money.

For SWII, I rode to Kansas and met up with BigJack, JayKS, Nut & Mutter, Chainsaw, and several others. Jack and his wife hosted a great steak dinner on Sunday night and the crowd rode to Des Moines to meet up with others before riding into LeClaire in a big old ugly shiver of sharks. shaking the hands of the people with whom I had posted back and forth for the last year or so was really rewarding.

For SWIII, I had ridden from Dallas to Vegas for a few days on the strip before the event. In Vegas, about 15 sharks hooked up and rode to St. George on Monday afternoon and were greeted with Flight of the Valkyrie blasting from the stereo as we rode in by those who had already arrived.

I never felt as welcome when I rode into Sturgis, Daytona, ROT, the Lone Star Rally, Laughlin, etc as I did arriving at a Shark Week.
I'm looking forward to it...this is my first. If this is like MLB, I'd like my drive-up song to be "Crazy Train". Who do I ask to coordinate that? Seriously...that would be incredible.

Being my first SW, I have no idea what to expect. I've meet a few people from the forum including mailman for the flag exchange and the group at the New England Meet & Greet last year, but still have no idea what 150+ bikes converging on a hotel will be like. And it's ALL people we "belong" with. I'm stoked and looking forward to it. Can't wait to meet more of the group.

*Note: My wife also thinks I'm nuts to go on vacation for a week with people I don't know. Hahaha!

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking forward to it...this is my first. If this is like MLB, I'd like my drive-up song to be "Crazy Train". Who do I ask to coordinate that? Seriously...that would be incredible.

Being my first SW, I have no idea what to expect. I've meet a few people from the forum including mailman for the flag exchange and the group at the New England Meet & Greet last year, but still have no idea what 150+ bikes converging on a hotel will be like. And it's ALL people we "belong" with. I'm stoked and looking forward to it. Can't wait to meet more of the group.

*Note: My wife also thinks I'm nuts to go on vacation for a week with people I don't know. Hahaha!

Cheers,
G
I've got your back... If I arrive before you, I will blast "Crazy Train" when you arrive on Big Blue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I bought my bike just a few weeks before SWl and could not make it, but I followed it closely on the forum. After seeing all the pictures and reading the stories I couldn't wait for the dates for SWll to be announced, as soon as the dates and hotel were set I made reservation (I even signed up for part of the Gypsy Tour). Like a lot of folks my friends and family thought I was crazy for traveling across the country to meet and ride with people I didn’t know. But what the hell that was the intriguing part of it, putting faces to screen names and getting to know those folks was an awesome experience and from that I can say that I have found many new friends from all over the country and even a few crazy ones from Canada. How many people can say that? I have been to SWll, SWlll and will be at SWlV and will be at as many as I possible……

For anyone who has never been if possible you must do Hutmo’s Gypsy Tour. That alone is an adventure in itself, just watch out for the cobblestones!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I unfortunately cannont make SWIV, but that won't stop me from making it next year where ever it's gonna be, but.....

My SWIII experience was the trip I have been wanting to do for a very long and even before I owned any motorcycle.

Meeting the people headed to the same place on the road, hundreds if not a couple of thousand miles away from home made me feel a great connection with them. a kinship if you will and that's why I actually feel dissapointed not to be able to make it this year, but like I said "we'll see you all next year God willing".

·
Registered
740 Posts
Went to SW1 on a whim by myself. About 6 hours away. Great people and fun times. Panhead and I got to carry the flag from DMize to Mailman. Looking forward to seeing people I know and know of. Like no other rally I have ever attended. Good people.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
I was still relatively new to the forum and had only had my Road Glide for less than a year when I decided to incorporate SW I into what was intended to be a 10,000 mile, 48 state romp across the country, the Guts and Glory Rally. Supposedly an alternative to the Hoka Hey Run, it would have started in California and ended in Maine eleven days later, just prior to the Gettysburg event. Unfortunately the event ran into legal problems and ended up getting canceled and it looked like my planned meeting with my fellow Shark Nose Enthusiasts would not happen. That’s when Since Crazy suggested simply doing the rally anyway, on my own, still making it to Shark Week. I figured he had a pretty good idea and decided to go for it. I shuffled my rescheduled version of the rally around a little bit and managed to make SW I a half-way three day pit stop in my cross-country quest.

So I set out from California, the only attendee to make the journey from the west, knocking out the northern states as I headed east over a seven day period. Hutmo had invited those who were interested in exploring the Lincoln Highway to gather in Pittsburgh a day early, making the journey to Gettysburg along route 30. This would become the first of the famous Hutmo-led Gypsy Tours. I had grown up in Pittsburgh and knew that I had to be a part of this. Unfortunately I was a bit behind on my personal rally and arrived in the Steel City late, managing to get around four hours of sleep before the first Gypsy Tour set off. Never having met a soul that made up this initial group, I felt instantly that I was among close friends. A feeling that was further reinforced upon arrival in Gettysburg, where I found warm Canadians, hospitable Southerners, and a pair of picnic tables around which would be established a staple of Shark Weeks to come – sitting around drinking beer and BS’ing with my fellow sharks. The closeness, the laughter, the camaraderie that grew from that unlikely first gathering is something that is hard to explain. There were no egos, no agendas, no jerks. Just a bunch of people who had a few things in common and whose only interest was having a good time. And that we did.

That feeling of kinship has continued and grown with each of the subsequent Shark Week meetings. If you have any doubts at all about whether or not you should attend, I can assure you that you will be missing one of the great experiences of your life if you choose to let this opportunity go by without taking advantage of it. Shark Week – you’ll wish you made it.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,932 Posts
Kinship ... brotherhood ... sisterhood ... new friends made ... friendships renewed ...

Different words for the same emotion .... it's why Shark Week continues to grow. The ride to and from is great, laced with new experiences and new places you haven't been before. The day rides provide great scenery and twisty roads. The special events and daily destinations are terrific but mostly are just icing on the cake. It's clear in listening to all the multi-time SW attendees that getting to share several days with truely good people who are as passionate about motorcycles and riding as you are, is what keeps bringing 'em back year after year.

As of earlier this week, there are 250 motorcyclists on 173 Road Glides registered for the event. As one of the organizers of this year's gathering, I'm starting to get intimidated about having less than 90 days left before the event, but as a motorcyclist for 49 years .... damned I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SWIII--9,000 miles and nine National Parks, Glacier to Grand Canyon, (including the SW rides,) in three weeks--that's my idea of a scenic route. Met some great folks, too!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, where do I begin. I have been riding with Stray Mutt for about 15 years & have attended many rallies all over the country. After Ron had returned from SW1 and told me about his trip I knew I had to attend SWII. I sold my springer & purchased a 2012 Road Glide. As we headed out to SWII I could'nt wait to meet all of his new friends. To say it was an adventure would be an understatement. I have made friends at "shark week" that I talk with on a weekly basis via Facebook. Just a fantastic group of people. I was lucky enough to be entrusted with co-hosting SW3 with Straymutt. There were so many folks that stepped forward to help us plan the events & lend a helping hand at the event. It was truly a wonderful experience!!. I cant wait for SW4. It will truly be a trip of a lifetime. If your on the fence about attending I say "take a chance". you wont be sorry. Is it time to go yet?:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts