Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I stand to get ridiculed and made fun of, I'll post this so others hopefully won't experience it in the future.

Saturday I rode my bike, and rode it hard. I did 100 miles or so, but a good 30 or so was on rough bumpy dirt roads, and all paved roads were high speeds in 108 degree temps (Like I have said before, I don't baby my stuff).
Since then, the bike sat in the garage. Plan was to wash it when it was cool enough in the evenings and I didn't get around to it until Tuesday night late. I just got a new bike jack, so I used it to clean my wheels good and even took the saddlebags off to clean behind them. After washing I started it back up and drove it back into the garage. I shut the engine off but left the radio playing as I detailed the bike removing water spots. I shut the switch off once, then decided to clean a little more and turned the bike back on. Strange thing happened, the clock on my radio read 12:00 because it reset. Hmmm,.. not sure why that happened but I didn't think much about it and set the time. Yesterday I went out to jump on the bike and run across town on it. Again, the clock read 12:00. What the hell? So I set the time again and hit the start switch. The bike just kept turning over,.. and wouldn't start. After a couple attempts, the engine light came on. So Im thinking something got wet and its throwing signals. I grab my powervision to read what codes are being thrown and clear them. I clear them and attempt to start it again,.. still tries but no fire. So I check the codes again, reflash my map and try again. Same thing, but I do notice that the voltmeter is reading down close to 10. So I throw the trickle charger on the bike and charge it back up thinking there isn't enough juice to power the EFI and get it going.
Later yesterday evening I go back and pull the trickle charger off, and the bike is fully charged. I hit the swtich, same deal, it just keeps turning over and won't start and the engine light comes on. So now Im getting pissed trying to figure out whats going on. I click through my tripometer settings, and instead of the fuel mileage gauges telling me 24 miles until empty (like it did when I shut the bike off the last time) its reading "L0". My fuel light is not on though, but just for shits and giggles I put some gas in it from the lawnmower. It took about 10 seconds of holding the start switch, but it finally fired up and runs again.
So moral of the story,.. even though your bike is telling you 24 miles until empty,.. don't believe it. :D
Still doesn't explain why the clock kept resetting, but its normal now. :confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ended a day with the trip saying 31 miles to empty, figured I'd gas it up the next morning. Started it up the next day, still said 31, got out the driveway and it dropped to 9 miles to empty. Closest gas station is about 12 miles away, I sweated it out, but made it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Even very knowledgable folks get zinged by the "too obvious" sometimes.

But it takes a brave man, who is secure within himself, to share it with others.

Do what I do sometimes when I overlook something...just plead insanity!?! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Ok Chain, heres justification as to why this happened.
1. It was hot out. Heat effects rational thinking
2. You were exhausted from washing your bike in the heat. AND you even went so far as to take the saddlebags off. You over exerted yourself.
3. Going from out in the sun to into the garage after you washed it causes your eyes to have to adjust and you may have felt a little dizziness from this.

Some may call these excuses for covering your ass but I say no!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok here is mine. Went to breakfast one day and when parking my new bike, this is my first heavy bike mind you. I would set it on it's stand and the bike would start to slide. The street had a big crown on it. Well needless to say I parked my bike, it slid all the way down until the exhaust hit the curb and finally stopped. After breakfast came home and got on RG.Org and started to type this up to see what these veteran riders do. I kept thinking wheel chock or something to keep the brake on like a E-brake. And just before hitting send it dawned on me. Now I know you guys are a group of stand up guys and wouldn't get too much teasing but I was wiping the sweat off my brow and LOL. That was close, third day on the forums and ask a dumb question. Who knows I may have 4000 people tell me to put the bike in gear. LOL

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Well one thing we all know is the gas gauges on these bikes are not accurate.
And the miles until empty feature is really just a guess taken by an average.
If you turn the bike off and on and off and on again and you hear the fuel pump engage it will usually pump enough gas to get ya to the nearest station.(yes ive run out of gas before)
My dad use to preach at me when i was growing up, to never run out of gas.
He'd tell me, "son, if you get down to a quarter of a tank, thats when its time to get gas."

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
I dont think I wudda told this to anybody ..

Is why ewe git gas well before you "need" gas ..

Yeah the heat did it ..

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 08 fltr ran the gas light, then lo at about 9 miles to go, then 0 miles to go......25 miles later I pulled into a station and it was still running. (but I wouldnt want to ever do that again, it was nerve racking in the middle of nowhere)

·
Registered
205 Posts
This reminds me of Daytona 2007. My buddy is riding a brand new CVO springer with the digital gas cap. We are riding up to destination daytona. When we get there my buddy is missing. Minutes latter I get a cell phone call from him. He is on the side of the road. Bike died and won't start. First thing I ask him is do you have gas? He says yes. Bike gets picked up and towed to the dealer. After waiting 2 1/2 hours dealer tells him he was out of gas! The digital gas cap was wired backward it showed more bars the less gas he had. The dealer told him that that is the way the CVOs work. Not true but as I told my friend never trust the gage. He should have opened the cap and checked for gas and alway set you odometer upon fill up.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Chainsaw and oofly, koodo's for sharing.
I still havent figured how to set the clock on my 2009 FLTR and worst part is I can't seem to find the answer in my owners manual. Been to ashamed to ask anyone here ;)
So I'm always 15 minutes late ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
Crazy Canucks :D

turn the switch to either "on" or"acc"

receiver off

press set key (6)

press Hrs + or - then release

press Min + or - then release

mine loses a few minutes every week

·
Registered
163 Posts
I noticed mine loses time also. Probably 20 min in 3 months.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chainsaw and oofly, koodo's for sharing.
I still havent figured how to set the clock on my 2009 FLTR and worst part is I can't seem to find the answer in my owners manual. Been to ashamed to ask anyone here ;)
So I'm always 15 minutes late ;)

Turn your radio off,.. it will say "Set -->" :)

As for me running it down to 20 or so miles on the tripometer,.. I've done is several times and even as far down as 8 miles till empty. I guess like some have said, I need to not take it for granted and just fill up when I am getting low and driving by a station.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Good read. Just one of those dumb things that you never think about until its too late.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I had a hot rod Trans Am in my teens and early twenties. My gas gauge worked well enough for me at the time. It stayed on full until I had about 5 miles left in the tank and yes it was pretty accurate because I found out two occasions, coincidentally on payday. Nearest station was about 5 ½ miles from work. At least the road was level. Anyway, I devised a more accurate gauge, a cut off broom handle kept in the trunk. During the week when my driving was a little less erratic I just set the trip meter. Friday and Saturday nights I reverted to the broom handle. I have never trusted a fuel gauge since although I did put an Excursion to the test in Alaska. Thankfully it wasn’t accurate either.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Grateful Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canucks :D

turn the switch to either "on" or"acc"

receiver off

press set key (6)

press Hrs + or - then release

press Min + or - then release

mine loses a few minutes every week
Hey Ho..I now have the correct time! No more excuses for being late everywhere...Thanks JTB :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good story. Thanks for sharing. I won't offer up any ridicule because I've done plenty of stuff like that, too, overlooking the obvious. Oh no! It's got to be something serious! And then it's not...

But I have to say, reminds me of the scene from Sling Blade, when they asked Karl to look at the lawn mower nobody could get started. "It ain't got no gas in it." Mmmhm. :D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
The heated evaporated away the gas...that would have been my excuse. I have driven mine to "LO" several times, and when I fill it up it only took about 4.9 gallons on a 6 gallon tank. It just tells me that it isn't all that accurate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts