Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would be remiss if we didn't post a warning about the danger in colliding with critters in Maine and N.H. Let's start with deer. While Maine doesn't have the huge population of white tail deer like PA and some other states have, we do grow 'em big in the deep woods. Many 200+ pound (field dressed) deer are shot each year during the 30 day rifle season, with a handful approaching 300 lbs. The good news is that deer usually show up pretty well in your headlights. Their color, commbined with the reflective nature of their eyes make them reasonably visible at night. The bad news is that they are very unpredictable in their actions. They are as likely to run right across the road in front of you as they are to run deeper into the woods.

The real danger in Maine and NH comes from moose crossing a roadway. The problem is that they are a dark mahogany brown and appear almost black at night, plus you will not get the reflective warning from their eyes that you get with deer. They are almost impossible to detect until it's too late. Combine that with the fact that an average adult cow moose weighs 700+ pounds, and a mature bull will weigh 1,000 - 1,400 lbs. Also the damage and injuries are much more severe due to a moose's height. They have long legs amd when you hit one in a car, you typically clip the legs out from under them and the body mass comes right through the windshield or crushes the roof. You can visualize what happens when you hit one on a motorcycle.

In the heat of summer, moose tend to stay in the dark thick woods where they are cooler and often visit bogs, ponds, and lakes to cool off during the day. But they become more or less nocturnal traveling during the cool hours after sundown. They also are sometimes driven from the deep woods by mosquitos and horse flies.

While it's not my intention to scare you, it is my intention to alert you to this potential danger. If you remember nothing else that we've said in all our threads about Shark Week, please remember to ride slower than you ever thought you would at night when you're here for Shark Week. I travel up the interstate on my RG at close to 80 during the day, but from dusk to dawn I slow to 55-60, and even that's sometimes too fast. It's even worse on secondary roads where the trees and brush often encroaches much closer to the road, giving you even less chance to detect and avoid them.

Here's an article about a moose/car accident that happened about 20 miles form me yesterday that killed a man. As Sargeant Phil Esterhaus used to say on Hill Street Blues - Gentlemen, and ladies, .... be careful out there!

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/07/08/news/penobscot/brewer-man-dies-after-his-van-strikes-moose-on-interstate-95/

·
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
918 Posts
My eye sight isn't what it was 20 years ago. (that's for another thread !!)
It's that reason I like to be parked and drinking when it comes dusk.
Even a dead carcass on a tight corner can be unforgiving.....

·
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You suppose Dreamrider will show up with a cowcatcher mounted to the front of his bike?
That sounds more like RoadGlideRider to me. But then again, he'd just hit the auxillary rocket thrusters and jump right over the moose!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
You suppose Dreamrider will show up with a cowcatcher mounted to the front of his bike?
Seeems I need to pay more attention to the chatter ;) Was I ever OVER prepared for SWIII..? Sure I was.
Will I repeat that for SWIV - I could, but then I'm only 3.5 hours or so from home. I could always get that cowcatcher doohickey if I really see there is a problem with these ''little'' BEASTS Heh?. :p

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Seeems I need to pay more attention to the chatter ;) Was I ever OVER prepared for SWIII..? Sure I was.
Will I repeat that for SWIV - I could, but then I'm only 3.5 hours or so from home. I could always get that cowcatcher doohickey if I really see there is a problem with these ''little'' BEASTS Heh?. :p
Just put on your cool vest (wet) during the hours of concern. I'm sure the critters will hear your teeth chattering and run towards the woods. :D:):cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts