Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Shark Weekers, Forum Members, Facebookers, and even Eddie and Fuzzy,

As many of you know we’ve been moving toward “formalizing” our annual gathering. Work has been going on to make this happen for several months, and I’m happy to report that the organization and conduct of the annual rally has officially been recognized as a nonprofit operation. There are a number of reasons that this is advantageous for organizers and attendees. I won’t go into them in detail here, but rest assured that it does create advantages for the continuation of and structure of the event and it does shield us from potential tax, liability and financial concerns. For the record the nonprofit (the gathering itself) is officially known as Roadglide.org National Rally (but we’ll still unofficially refer to it as Shark Week). Please note that the nonprofit is not associated with the forum, Roadglide.org, in any way. The nonprofit is purely devoted to Shark Week and nothing else, while Roadglide.org is a profit making Canadian enterprise that is part of Verticalscope.

For the most part, this transition has been and will be transparent for most everyone, and you most likely won’t even sense any changes at all in the future. But one thing that you’ll likely welcome is the knowledge that your contributions will be regarded as a tax deductible donation. That’s not applicable for things such as t-shirts or patches that you buy, but it does assure that no sales tax is applied. In addition, I am checking into the question as to whether or not the purchase of raffle tickets might be considered a donation. Most likely if you’re like Garvin, you’ll buy $300 worth of tickets, win nothing, and therefore your entire $300 purchase can be deducted on your taxes. On the other hand, if you’re like Dave Bell, and you win everything that’s on the tables, you are limited to deducting the retail value between your winnings and your contribution. Sponsers who donate goods to the raffle will also welcome the fact that their donation will be a deduction on their part (which may lead to even more and better donations from our kind sponsors).

Other direct contributions, such as those that were collected for Lori’s father last year, will without question be regarded as a deductible contribution. Those of you who have been holding off, on my advice, to making up the shortfall that we encountered regarding the charity that was selected for SW IX, the Northern Hills Alliance for Children, can now feel free to submit donations if you’d like. If you’d like to do that, please contact me, and I’ll provide you with the instructions on how to contribute.

One caveat to sum this all up is the fact that “official” approval for tax free status from the IRS has not been received. That application is in the works, meandering through all of the red tape, but it typically takes many months - and with the complications associated with this Coronavirus mess, likely even more than that now. In essence it’s a formality, as we believe we meet all of the requirements for tax free status, but that piece of paper that blesses tax free status is not in my hands as of yet. The nonprofit corporation became official in January, so we have 27 months from that date to get this done and any contributions made back to January qualify. I don’t anticipate this taking more than a few more months, but I am obliged to pass this information on to you in the unlikely event that the IRS decides that we do not qualify as a tax free organization. Hopefully it’s all cleared up by the time Shark Week rolls around, and yes, I myself am confident that we’ll be going ahead with SW X as scheduled.

If anyone has any questions or wants to see the sausage being made, please feel free to contact me.

Ron, a.k.a “Stray Mutt”

·
Registered
892 Posts
Awesome news Ron! Thanks for all the hard work to everyone who had a hand in this!

Reactions: Stray Mutt

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've only made one SW, but hope to make others in the future. One thing I saw and appreciate is all of the work that goes into these things. This is a great puzzle piece to improving and keeping these things going.

Thanks for the great work!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
The handling of increasing sums of cash is always a nerve wrecker for well-meaning groups as they grow. For a few friends, even a few dozen, it's just friendly interaction. Once there is a big event, with hundreds attending and tens of thousands of dollars changing hands...starting a non-profit is a no-brainer. Glad you guys got it nailed down. Solves a lot of problems for the engine room, and opens up new opportunities for the future.

Reactions: ChromeSpark

·
Administrator
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumping this because it recently came to the forefront elsewhere. And for what it's worth, and I think this past year's host posted it elsewhere, we were able to donate a record amount (a total of $3200) to the Boys and Girls Club of Carson Valley following this year's Shark Week. Many thanks to all of those who bought Shark Week related items, shirts and patches and stickers and such, and especially to those who contributed dollars exceeding $11,000 through the purchase of raffle tickets, and most of all our sponsors, who generously contributed so many awesome Road Glide related raffle items. Your generosity allowed this year's organizers to put on and pay for a first class event while also funding charity contributions that go to some very good causes.

·
Super Moderator
4,210 Posts
Makes it all worthwhile losing all those drawings to Tom and Stephanie instead of the usual David lol. In all seriousness… that’s a great pic Chuck. I think it’s awesome so much money was raised for a good cause and a shit load of fun had doing it.

·
Registered
2020 RGS River Rock Gray
619 Posts
I'm surprised they let Chucky that close to all those kids... ;)

But seriously, that is awesome Ron/Chucky and everyone else involved. I remember how much it meant in Durango, and even though I couldn't get to Tahoe this year, I still did my part through Bob the shirt delivery man!

Reactions: mjsdouble

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
SAH-WEEEEEEET....I am sitting on STACKS of receipts and need something to run them through ....prayer really works!!!!!

Congrats and thanks to all the knuckleheads that gave their time to make this happen and continue to in order to keep it happening - Blows away what little mind I have left when ya think about where this has come from... basically and Group Ride to an overnight Hug and Chug with some RGs leading the way.......crazy with a capital K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts